Skip to content

My CD source re-ignited by Vekian

Got the Vekian Signature yesterday and jaw dropped instantenously by dynamics and details which are unheard of in my experience of listening to any CD playback with the exception of the Vekian+DV amp in PT's place. I am not sure how much the difference is between our version (ie Bro Fat and mine) and PT's version,.

When you imagine CD playback is like driving in a road, and dynamic range is restricted similar to the number of lanes that you are allowed to drive, there are many out there which can give you 3 or even 4 lanes so that you can turn your car left and right at will without too much of restraints, but still there are boundaries. Vekian, like vinyl, is like driving in a plain without border, you just close your eyes, let your car goes wherever it like with only the speed controlled by how much pressure you exerted on your right foot.

As a one-piece DAC without the much fansy 2 mono blocks, 3 digital links, 3 power cords, 4 chasis, etc...and at a fraction of $$, V is really the V-ictory...

By the way, Jeff, Keith and BroFat, can you share with me how I can use my harddrive in 986 going into the USB input of the Vekian, I can only use RCA digital between them. May be I am now too excited to read the manuals, etc...any quick help would be appreciated....

Marvel

PS. I second PT's Bluemoon award to Vekian as it is really a very very outstanding and groundbreaking product in the DAC domain. I have other marvelous gears coming into my system in 2008: Cessaro, Bergmann, Preos, Wavac805, EMT986, they are all very outstanding in their own domain, but if I were to give the most 'Marvelous' product an award, I will grant it to Vekian because it is by far the BEST DAC that I have heard in anywhere and in any system. I have not heard Goldmund 20.7 yet but friend from Taiwan has already given me a detailed comparison. The same dear friend who did comparison with the many other DACs whom I cannot find a reason not to believe him. He did a 48 hours non-stop marathon comparison on the super amps just this weekend ! Total face value of the gears involved is around HKD10million.

Comments

• EMT986/Zanden2000P + Vekian. 5000Signature temporarily goes on vacation as my rack is out of space!!
  • What a bold statement! But I have to concur with marvel bro not only with the facts but also the "experience". I hate uncle sam but not this time. You are right about the damn trouble of multiple cables/boxes. I know there are skeptics out there. But they make us unique. I am thrilled.
  • Go to www.computeraudiophile.com
  • 呢部野唔係講笑, 好勁!
  • 發哥,睇嚟真係要組團去你度聽下.
  • 查兄, 我好肯定你未聽到Eufro中低至低的真正實你. Marvel大大和各大哥的評語不單止是正面, 而是"突破性/革命性"的進步. 自從玩了黑膠後, 有好多人都話CD唔聽得, 唔夠動態唔夠密度, 我基本上同意, 但我聽了Vekian Signature 之後, 我完全改觀. 我不是第一天玩黑膠.

Grey兄, 我知你只沉迷黑膠, 但我強力介紹你要在自家系统聽聽呢部傑作
  • 睇嚟更加非去不可,有無bro組團.
    發哥,平日晚上得唔得?
  • 等我煲多兩星期再請grey兄來. 通常我週六會方便些, 因為老婆要看住細路讀書, 冇電視睇更冇得大聲爆機.

不如去Marvel兄處研習一下, 又如何?
  • 好呀,睇下Marvel大大幾時得.
  • BroFat and Studiogrey, certainly, you are both welcome. Please call to discuss on a suitable time.

Marvel
  • 發哥

Eufro 的中低至低的實力有幾厲害呀?
    Vekian 在 Mr. So 的系統上聽過了, 無話可說.
    只係得個 "恨" 字.

• 查兄, 瑞士佬的路線 (除Da Vinci外), 注要表現線絛美感和清析度, 中高至高尤其秀麗, 低音線條清析, 但能量分佈總是一個較窄的三角形, 對於香港較細少的家居面積來說, 瑞士佬的聲好容易令港人接受.

但小弟認為低音的能量和動態卻往往被低估, 當然當低音能量大時, 線條清析度一定下降多少, 從發燒友角度說就等於分析力差了. 但我不同意這觀點, 因為聽現場是大多能感受到能量. 例如一個低音大提琴在我前面演奏, 我總是被它的能量吸引而不是能不能分清楚彈到邊條線.

Eufro的中低, 低以至超低當用上了Vekian Signature之後立即令我覺得從前的低音有嚴重不足的感覺.
  • Charles,

In your own view, if Vekian is sitting side by side with Heritage in your own system, would you think it would totally surpass Heritage in all fronts? It is also a question in my mind for hte past few days. My benchmark is Heritage vs Zanden and now Vekian vs Zanden, never have I had the opportunity to have Heritage vs Vekian. In my recollection, Heritage has more ultra treble details (eg. reverbration of hall sound, height of the soundstage). Both of them have very good bass fundation but Vekian has got more power and dynamics. Compared with Zanden, V is equally rich in tonality and ambience but I would have thought Heritage is more inclined towards 'cleaner' and 'cooler' sounding.

I am using Flow on Vekian, I tried OR and briefly on FMR, never try SMR EE as this beast is really wild and I am afraid using FMR or SMR EE would smash my four walls and glass window into pieces. Flow is just right in the balance between refinement and energy dispersion. Bro Fat and other V-power users, any suggestion on the power cords?

Marvel
  • Marvel大大, 不如搬部機去查兄家揪下, 一定好精彩.

查兄我聽閒你不滿意Vekian在Mr.So家是低音表現. 但他家十分之大, 所以一定是房間問題又或者是低音單元的問題.

我從來都不贊成用單一隻低音單元出低音. 埋由好簡單, 因為低音是最需要分工合作才能做到鬆容不迫, 速度要夠快收條尾, 又要有空氣感墊低, 單一大口勁低音單元只是一刻的量大, 尤其是中低, 但往往又不見了超低 (除非好似Da Vinci用Active Field Coil單元). 速度好似好快, 但其實比不足料

所以我估計Horning Algame和Tidal Sunray的低音鬆容度和速度將會是驚人. 我估計Vekian Signature會在Eufro之下比食沙佬號角發揮得更好, 我更大膽估計低音將會是大幅拋離的局面.

• Charles,

I never heard Vekian yet, i guess they are in different type. The Heritage strength on the details and soundstage. Let see how matching with 833 and at least feed the dac by xlr. It has ability to reproduce an extremely huge soundstage which i never heard in others.

發哥,

Your word is attractive, your comment on cello is absolutely right. waiting your run-in.