Skip to content
Options

Orpheus

I have recently upgraded my CD player, interconnect, speaker cable and power cord. All of them are bought from AE. I try to write my experience and share with all the brothers here.

The speaker cable was the first item to upgrade. Originally, I used Nordorst SPM Reference Single Bi-Wire Speaker Cable. The ORB cable was recommended by PT. He was so confident that the cable would improve the sound quality of my system. I ordered two sets for bi-wire connection. The improvement was really obvious, especially the bass. My system sounded more dynamically, lively and full of energy with the new speaker cable. The ORB cable is not really expensive. At least it is cheaper than my original one. It just has a very high performance to cost ratio.

The next stage of my system upgrade was more aggressive. I replaced my CD player, interconnect and power cord in one go. The reason to upgrade was that I found my original system did not produce enough details. PT suggested me to start from the source and hence I replaced my Linn Ikemi with the Orpheus Zero CD Player. I bought as well the Argento SRSE RCA Interconnect and Level 1 Mark II Power Cord. At the same time, I also applied a gold and a silver resonators to improve the room acoustics. The performance of my system improved significantly after the upgrade. The sound was more 3D and transparent. When I played vocal records, the image of sound was so accurate and sharp that I felt the singer really stood out in the soundstage and sang before me. Beside, more details could be heard. When I played the record of Eason Chan concert, I could hear clearly the singing of his fans in the background.

After the equipment upgrade, I further ordered some wooden pucks to stuff my speakers. The bass was improved after applying the pucks. However, I felt the high and medium frequency became “weaker” and “softer”. I discussed this with PT and he said it was because the sound became more natural. He suggested me to listen to the sound for a few more nights and I would get used to it. As what PT said, I have now adapted this natural sound. The people voice actually sounds very naturally instead of weakly and softly. I once randomly picked a record of Sammie Cheng to listen. I never thought before that her voice could be so tender.

The current configuration of my system is as follows.
Orpheus Zero CD Player
Argento Level 1 Mark II Power Cable connected to the amplifier
Argento SRSE RCA Interconnect
ORB Speaker Cable
Karen Acoustics Integrated Amplifier KA i180
Wilson Benesch Curve Loudspeaker
Jorma Power Cable connected to the CD player

PT suggested that I could further upgrade my system by using a DAC. Alternatively, I may also split my amplifier into pre-amp and power-amp. As my purse is already dry out after the recent upgrade, I think I may not be able to afford another major upgrade in the near future. It is very “unfortunate” that I just visited AE showroom and listened to the DV Grandezza system. It makes me feel itchy for another upgrade. ~$~

Finally, I would like to praise the superb after-sales service of AE. PT is so enthusiastic on helping the customers and getting the feedbacks. I am completely satisfied with the products and the service of AE.

Comments

• Options
    Azzurri,

A good very start! Thank you for your participation. A big thank to Marvel bro introduces quality audiophile to the AE world.

JLam Music Nation
  • Options
    Azzurri,

You may recall what I told you before, another no return. But congratulations to the world of music and fun.

Big Piece.