Skip to content
Options

SInging in Unison

13»

Comments

• Options
    What bet?

The system you listened that night was totally screwed up. It can't play your Elman disc because the cartridge weight was only 1.76!!!! But I know the ORB meter shows 2.2, bot you and PT read it correctly BUT he used the ORB meter wrongly!!! The needle was down on the edges of the weight, not exacly the area for proper measurement. Of course, there was distortion because the cartridge is too light. It was re-calibrated to 2.17 last evening by Mr.Chik.

Despite the disastrous weight setting, you were still happy with the layering. Imagine now this problem is corrected, and the Zanden push pull amp is back in action. The missing parts are 2 FMRs coming soon to HK this week.

J

I lauged at PT's misapplication of ORB cartridge weight for hours.
  • Options
    .......Ha! Thats the main point, we guys don't read user manual.
  • Options
    PT, any sharing on the Unison? I would like to hear your opinion
  • Options
    J,
    The 3 rectifiers(6x4, 2xGZ34), driver(5687) and power tubes(non-WE type) in the PP300B are all bright sounding,especially putting them all together in one machine,do you need advice on better alternatives.
  • Options
    Can you share experiences of the Unison?
  • Options
    Marvel, the Unison is fabulous with the DV arm/cartridge. The house sound of Da Vinci is one of a kind. No more troubles with typical high end analytics.

Did you reduce the air flow after the installation of the new pump? The new pump has more constant supply of air to the platter and the tonearm. Absent any re-adjustment, the sound will be tight.
  • Options
    Raymond,

Yes, I did readust the air going out to the platter and tonearm. My objective is to ensure smooth tracking and so far I find this new pump much more steady than the old one.

I am indeed planning to use Unison with DV arm and Thales. This is in my roadmap but certainly one step at a time.

Marvel
  • Options
    Heard that you had changed the armboard of Thales for the Unison - pure swiss blood. DV/Thales on Unison with what phono? The german gangs again?

Have you listened to the Unison?
  • Options
    Voy, you are right...in preparation of Unison, I have requested my Thales arm to have the armboard fitted for U instead of R. Yes, you are right again, German gang is my favourite, Tidal is my house reference. Thales recommends EMT so I will likely go for their cartridge and phono. I have got their EMT986 CD player, not yet connected but the professional look and the details in the manual have already given me a very strong justification on the money spent. I will use 986 to pair up with Vekian.

Marvel
  • Options
    marvel bro, had you got any chance to audition the Unison?
  • Options
    Puyi,

Sorry for missing your question until Raymond reminded me on anothe thread.

Yes, indeed I went to listen to Unison in PT's place last Sat and went back home hooking my Raven back attempting to get some 'aftermath' taste of the DV sound after using my Bergmann for several weeks.

A suite of DV analogue source (phono included) in PT's system gives me a new perspective on how extreme realism can a system go in reproducing the vocal quality, shadings,string mellowness and elasticity. With Unison contrasting my Raven, I feel that the musical stage is more lively and less 'anchored' on the ground. Music coming out carries more vividess and lyrical on the vocals. I was thinking if I reduce the no. of motors in my Raven to 2 or even 1, would it reduce the error in synchronising the speed among the three although I understand there is a very high tech logic behind to synchronise the speed of the 3 motors, but to me, if we know upfront there could probably be a synchronising problem and we think of a way to mitigate it, why not just avoid it in the first place...am I going back to square 1?

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel,

In your opinion, what turntable may match tron syren/211 the most? Da Vinci, Bergman, Raven, or the Angelis Labor?
  • Options
    I would go for DaVinci although I have not heard AL.
  • Options
    "蒼"究竟咩料, 真係唔請楚, 只知道貴和好難玩得好. PT話部蒼在Marvel大大家發揮不到, 是不是和後級匹配性有關?

健哥, 你是否訂了"蒼"的211單端功放? 呢部是極品東西, 到了後一定要upload些靚相和大家分享下.