Skip to content
Options

Charles, welcome to the club of Wavac 833 v1.3

我知道你考慮了很久才作出此决定, 伊滕聽到消息後十分之雀躍. 在833黨員的互相毒害和學習下, 我喜見你們進步神速, 要求愈來愈高. 833v1.3的龐大能量和動態對房間要求很高, 相信需要耐性和時間克服. 我深信833的真正容顏, 大家還未看真, 但此日在黨員互相勉勵下,應該不遠矣.

Comments

• Options
    嘩!! 八三三黨羽勢力日增, 唔通如Grey兄所講, 大家都鐘意大魚大肉?
  • Options
    Charles,

Why don't you extend the dream of 805 and take it to the next level?! What is your plan on speaker upgrade then?

Shanghai Bigpiece...where are you? Seems that you are the only one quiet user of 805Mk1 that I know now...what is your upgrade plan looking at these 2 805 users' move. Your football court mansion in Shanghai is certainly the most power hungry 'space' demanding a bigger amp and speaker to fill up.

Marvel
  • Options
    基本上對150W的SET蛋機,房間大小都不是問題,大屋它當然開心,小地方更加需要它的强橫控制力去操控好底音的線條.
    833,如何叫我不愛它呢!
  • Options
    Studiogrey,

Probably we need to take into account the speakers being matched with the power amp....in the camp of High Efficiency speaker, using a high power amp but with a high damping factor (like the Baldur that I have used) would not yield the result that one would have expected. Therefore I am not sure if I totally agreed with you that a high power amp would lead to a more controlled bass and contour for the images. All I want to table for discussion is whether high power = good control. In my view, not that simple....

Marvel
  • Options
    Damping factor of 833 v1.3 = 1
    Damping factor of Baldur = 25

The damping factor of the Baldur is 25 times larger than 833. The output of the baldur measured in root mean square is about 240VA, probably in class AB. 833 produces pure Class A power of 150watt which must draw more electric current than the Baldur.

From the spec, it is unwise to mate Baldur with High Efficiency speaker because of its high damping factor. The piston movement of high efficiency bass driver is less than 1mm, when the damping factor is high, the bass driver does not move at all!

High power does not necessarily mean good control is true. But when high power couples with low damping factor, the deciding factor is the speaker.

If studiogrey is still using Kharma, the 833 is a good match because the bass driver of Kharma is made by Eton, very low efficiency, and the cabinet of Kharma is famous for overdamping. The development of bass is downward, it never projects to the listener. Using 833 with Kharma should be good because the wavac really drives the low bass drivers with high current and very low damping factor, forcing the Kharma to behave wildly and openly. All I am saying is that it is a good match but the imbalance nature of the speaker, even God cannot change.
  • Options
    多謝Marvel同Raymond的見解.
    關於推動力,Raymond所提及的電力消費量(833是500W的 Power consumption)可能是其中一個原因,關係比output還重要.
    不過833真係無買錯的.擁有它之後,我從未有一刻打算換它,想也未想過.
    經常大魚大肉,難怪心廣體胖.
  • Options
    Studiogrey,

Yes, 833 is one pair of amp which you won't regret buying and would cure a lot of fever in thinking of changing amp...that's very true!!

Enjoy and hope I would have a chance to come and listen to your system soon....

Marvel
  • Options
    Diet u guys.

• Options
    Marvel Big Bro, The Thales tonearm and Spiral Groove turntable should arrive mid of Sep. I invite you to listen once available.
  • Options
    查兄, 點解你唔出現講番幾句感受?
  • Options
    Studiogrey,

Spiral Groove! Wow, you are already having Monaco, S and Gerrard TT, I really admire you...I believe I have to hand over my trophy of Hi-Fi Playboy to you long time ago!!

I only saw the picture of SG in StereoSound with Phantom long arm...looks like very neat and slick.

Can't wait to see Thales on SG. Presumably you have got EMT Gold Cartridge...

Look forward to visiting you again.

Marvel
  • Options
    I love all Hi Fi playboy. Marvel bro, you are internationally recognized, not easy to hand over the trophy to someone else. I love you always.
  • Options
    Marvel Big Bro, don't make fun of me, how can I compare with you. You're AE ICON.
  • Options
    ICON唔易做架, 要有水又要玩得有心得, 又要懂音樂, 又要搞Room Acoustics, 仲要搞得好, 又要得到廣泛認同.
  • Options
    There are countless veterans in AE community and the number is growing bigger and bigger. Bar has been raised several folds since we first started various threads in the forum. Whilst we are seeing less and less analysis report from PT, it seems that we are cross educating ourselves through the course of opinion exchange and challenging the norm. The paradigm shift from benchmarking against PT's system to referencing what A is experimenting in terms of room acoustics and which tonearm B is installing with several reference sites sponsored by Mr. Zanden, Mr. DV, Mr. So and so...

I understood at the outset it is by no measure a 'plug and play' game and I concur every single word with Bro Fat that there are many many pre-requisites to become an icon here. I really feel I do have a lot to catch up in the areas of room tuning, musical knowledge, vinyl setup, ...it is fun but equally it is in many respect, not a swap in and out exercise, it is getting to a level where I really feel shameful in under utilising a gear before exploiting to the full extent on how well it should perform. My recent listening experience in PT's place really enlightened me a lot not because of the performance of the system, it is more because of the trick that PT has played whilst I was listening that made me feel I am still far behind....

Marvel