Skip to content
Options

My recent experience in Acoustics Systems resonators

This is my first post in internet and I just want to share my recent experience in Acoustics Systems resonators. Since I am also a newbie in audio, my descriptions may not be accurate in the audiophiles’ sense. If this happens, please forgive me.

In the past, I always thought the sound produced by my low end system was not good. Apart from other things, the major problem was that the sound was quite planar, with little sense of depth. I talked to Piano Tuner about these problems and he advised that the problems were likely caused by poor acoustics of my listening place, especially the presence of a large window bay (about 11 ft wide and 7 ft high) behind my speakers. He suggested me to try the resonators of Acoustics Systems.

Last Sunday, Piano Tuner did a demonstration of the resonators in my place. He put some resonators and diffusers on the window midway between my 2 speakers and in the corners behind the speakers. My wife and I immediately noticed a substantial improvement in the sound. The image is now more 3-D and defined. The separations between the singer’s voice and the background music and between the different instruments in an orchestra are greater but the different parts of the music are still performing in a coherent way. The instruments also sound more realistic. Before, my system always sounded muddy when playing complicated music. Now, this muddiness is removed by a large extent and we can hear more details in the music that we missed previously.

We then listened to a CD of Teresa Tang in a concert (Teresa Tang is my wife’s most beloved singer at all times). My wife was a bit disappointed because the sound was still not quite up to what we had heard in AE’s showroom before. Realizing our disappointment, Piano Tuner added two more resonators, one at each corner at a higher position. Wow, what another dramatic change! A sound similar to that in AE’s showroom is reproduced by my system, although it is still not on a par with AE’s. Teresa’s voice stands out from the sound of the audience, e.g. clapping, with the latter resulting in a more enveloping atmosphere. We enjoyed Teresa’s singing as if we were actually “in” the concert hall. Suddenly, I remembered the 黑教堂 SACD. I listened to this disc only a couple of times and then put it aside. This disc is supposed to be recorded inside a church but I never felt that with my system before. As soon as the disc was played, my wife and I looked at each other without a word. Not only can we now sense the width and depth of the sound stage but also the height of the church. At the end, we end up using 6 resonators and a few diffusers in our room.

Before Piano Tuner left, he said that this is not the end of the story as my room is not yet fully treated. However, the improvement brought about by the present setup will allow me to enjoy my system and music for some time before I eventually choose to complete the rest.

Being with an engineering background, I understand how important good room acoustics is to the reproduction of good sound. However, what really amaze me are the effects of these resonators given their small sizes. Besides the resonators, I am very satisfied with AE’s good service in setting up my room. Piano Tuner is very knowledgeable. Based on his vast experience and knowledge of the characteristics of different audio equipment, he set up the resonators in their optimal locations properly and efficiently. He also set up the resonators in stages so that I could appreciate the effects at each stage. He also explained patiently the functions of each resonator. In short, with these wonderful resonators and AE’s good service, I can now re-discover my collection of discs.

One more thing. I use the same place for home theater. After the treatment, I found that there are also improvements in reproducing movie sounds. Dialogs become more clear and intelligent. Ambient sounds are more enveloping. The bass from the subwoofer goes deeper and are cleaner.

Comments

• Options
    KCY, I went through the same process just as you. Even the home theatre sound improves notticeably. If you want to birng thevoice of Teresa Tang back to your home, you may consider Zanden.

Ju
  • Options
    Butcher兄,這個KCY兄的經驗跟你接近嗎?