Skip to content
Options

Hello! Greeting from a tube amp user.

J.lam,

Nice to see this beautiful website. I enjoy the wavac 300b mono block amp every late evening. I need save $$$ for the PR-T1 preamp. Nice job. Your products are all very high quality. Don't poison me anymore.

Chi Yan

Comments

• Options
    Hi Chi Yan
    Glad to know that you are using WAVAC 300b mono. Can u share a bit more with your experience. I am using the Stereo version and find it's already very good and value for the money.

Cheers
    Big Piece
  • Options
    I used audionote small power tube power while ago. The magic of tube sound on human sound attracts me. J told me to join the Zanden show. The sound of tube is so clear and live. But the zanden amp is too expensive. So i continue use audionote amp, change a few brand name and start feel bore. No $$$, stop the hobby for 1 year. J told me to try wavac 300b stereo, very good price for the quality. I say no as I use mono block all the time. Then, he poisons me - MD300b monoblock. The amp is very powerful. Somtimes, don't feel quite like 300b but human voice is just so real. The human voice in the past always has a candy sweet. The wavac is clear, let me listen more vocal.

I am no good writing sound feeling. The 300b monoblock make me think upgrade to the Grand Fal. J suceess poisoned me again. I am waiting for the Grand Fal in Champagne color after summer holiday.

The md300b is good. I don't know how good to your stereo. It is just good.
  • Options
    MD300B stereo is also very powerful too. Before getting the 300B, I used Zanden passive pre driving a pair of China maid mono with 55W per channel. I am not too sure if it is due to "matching" requirement of FAL EX90, the WAVAC just deliver the music much better then the previous combination. As u also said, the vocal is undoubtedly top notch. It is so "real", with proper reflection of the artist's emotion. But it is not the Jadis type of sweetener.

I believe your mono version come with WE 300B tubes. How about the "stock" 12AT7, Sylvania? I swithced to telefunken, and it brought the performance to another higher level, especially on the details and 3D resolution.

Are u using any pre amp? I have mixed experience with/without a pre.

Thanks
    Big Piece
  • Options
    Big piece,

I always use preamp. Previously, I had conrad johnson, audionote m6. I am not using preamp now, no $$$. The wavac pr-t1 it also very $$$. No chance listen to it. I know linnman has the preamp, saw pics on the website before.

I spend all the $$$ on the Grand Fal, so no preamp for longer.

Chi Yan
  • Options
    Chi Yan

That's why I am so puzzled. I used pre as well, like Nagra,

I also have a Zanden passive pre, which is very very good, a "bargain" I would say. Its transparency is on par with Karan pre. Of course, the extension of the 2 extremes are lagging because of the lack of "Power".

So when I hooked it up with MD300B, the result is mixed that I cant simply draw a conclusion that it should be used with a Pre or not. I also tried connecting a pre (same class of Karan) but I found adding the pre just made sound a bit less transparent.

So, I agree that it saves a lot of money and MD300B itself is a "ready to go" toy that can bring u the joy of music.

I am just wondering whether a pre should be hooked up. If yes, even if we use PR-T1, how it should be connected as the attenuator "bundled" would inevitably create some loss to the signal path.

I better start another thread to check the experience from other users.

Cheers
    Big Piece