Skip to content
Options

Thank you very much, Marvel!

Marvel,

I dont know how to express my gratitute to you, letting go the Eufrodite to an old man. I have been building speakers for quite a few years. I find most modern speakers are only good at sound. I cant find any music with new technology. I find my little roger still play me music. Gone mad and fed up with modern days, I begin to build my own speakers. Tried many, some good and some bad until I got a chance to listen to the Eufrodite.

When I visited tuner 2 months ago, the mid-bass arent up to the standard I look for. I know tuner is a newcomer in high efficiency speakers. He did not know the tricks yet. Well, but he is learnng fast with good music maturity. The voice of von stade is shocking as I have never thought the mid range dynamic of lowther unit could reach that far. But I wasnt happy about the bass, the mid bass in paritcular. I believe this speakers are too big for his room. I know it will work magic in my home.

I have not come across any speakers in the past 20 years that can really better than horning flagship. Some are good at trebel, others very fine midrange and the rest could be all bass machines.

My main source is vinyl, got an old Linn CD12 still serving my old ears well. My syren, or poor batman, will deliver around November. My amp is the dartzeel from the swiss. I have a few turntables, nottingham, old linn, a few more arms, from sme, phantom, schroder and soon to arrive Da Vinci gradezza. I just cannot resist not to have that arm after listenig the von stade. I got this recording too but it is too shameful to compare with the performance I had in tuners home.

I listened to the syren in the london show last year. I have no idea what kind of batman was that. But you certainly got a great taste, the syren is unique, forget the audiophiles sayings, you got a great musical journey ahead.

Thank you again. I can bury myself with Eufrodite till the very end.

Chopstick

Comments

• Options
    Dear Chopstick,

There is no need to say thank you. This time, I made up the decision after serious thought for several months and a couple of times visiting Tuner. Eufrodite is no doubt a league higher than the Neo speaker that I am user. Sonically it is just more real! But at the same time, it demands a more competent skills on room acoustics and positioning in order to reveal its true potential. I went over this point with Tuner a couple of times and we conclude that I simply have no skill to tame it for the time being. May be this is for me in 2008 but certainly in 2007, I am not up for it.

I hope one day I could visit you and find Eufrodite has got a much more competent and skilful owner. Envy you....

Marvel
  • Options
    Oh, you have got the Dartzeel! How do you feel about it? I am interested at its battery powered preamp. It is in my radar for 2007 but before that I really need to do more research as Silver batman + Karan is perhaps a very strong pair to beat in the preamplification curriculum.

Syren was recommended by Tuner without any listening, I simply trust him and Jlam. These two are leopards in the woods, acute, fast, straight to the point and I fall prey to them without even a sigh...woo woo woo...

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel,

A simple rule, battery preamp = no dynamics. It holds true for 30 years. Still true now. I always trust my ears. I don't believe synergy effect. If the design is flaw, mating it with a good design will degrade the overall performance. Don't believe audiophile sayings. Two gold chassis stacking in one suite does not always mean good sound. Trust your own ears.

Your Neo speakers, heard a few times in Man Yee, one of the good speakers in recent years. I don't think it plays music to the level I want. Yo mention more real. If it s more real, then it means Neo is not real, not good enough to present you the music structure. Old man dont pay attention to frequency extension, I care coherence and flow more.

Old man is stubborn. Come join the high eff speaker camp. Tuner is skillful, you got a great teacher, not too many of such breed around now. My generation is differnet. We build our own machines, solder our own wires. I even build my speakers. But I am too old to do these anymore.

Also, if you wish to learn more about music, go for vinyl. SACD gets you circles.

Chopstick
  • Options
    Chopstick, about 2-3 years ago, I used the Vitus battery operated preamp and it changed my mindset towards the rule you mentioned above. I strongly believe it is something to do with the battery technology that has been advanced by a few folds in the recent years with a stronger demand on all the mobile devices such as notebook PCs, PDA, phones, etc. Before that, I had used Nagra PLP for a short while and occasionally I used the battery mode and at that time, the lost of dynamics was quite apparent.

I haven't heard the DartZeel power amp but many said it is one of its own kind, can you describe a bit more about its characters?

Thanks.
    Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel,

I don't think that machine qualified in dynamic. I listened to it in mongkok a few time. It is easy to mistake loudness with dynamic. At high volume, there is no dynamic. There is no mid-range dynamic with that machine. It is obvious in piano recording. The balance version is much better. If battery that good, why we dont see battery technology used in the balance version? The designer sacrifices quietness for more dynamics. Most of the time, timing determines the liveliness of music, but not quietness. Many audiophiles like black background, hear more music, the audiophile mind. Music is in the tempo not the background.

Daztzeel amp sound very natural, sound no similar to solid state. Neutral and clear sound. Musical notes flow out coherent. It is not powerful to drive yours. The preamp, sorry, does not pass. I am a very wide range of music preferences. If you have a narrow preferences of music, it is a go. If you love piano, sorry no go. Some may love the immediate quietness of the machine. Old man knows it is not up to the standard I want.

Chopstick
  • Options
    Chopstick,

Totally agree. Loudness does not equal dynamics and in the volume played in the shop in MK which I know which one you are referring to, I don't it is not dynamic that we are experiencing. In fact, the shop might be using direct power supply mode instead of battery mode.

Have you listened to the Karan power amp? I am using its preamp and when I had an opportunity to listen to a system with CD-12+Karan preamp+Stereo amp, I told myself, CD-12 has a hell of dynamics which has never been heard of in any system and nobody woul disagree with me that CD-12 is always regarded as a bit on the timid side. It is in fact the amplification which delineates the genuine character of it. Ask Tuner to take you to listen to that system and I am sure you will share my view.

Karan Stereo/ Mono is perhaps the only Solid State power amp which I would be tempted to try albeit its huge size...

Jeff from Taiwan is a proud owner of the Karan couple and may be he can share a bit of his views.

Marvel