Skip to content
Options

Virgin Show of Zanden 2500 1-box CD Player

Comments

• Options
    Got more time to proper install the player. The body is designed to sit on top of a metal base.
  • Options
    I was stupid enough to tell PT that the player could not properly (horizontally) sit on top the frame. Subseqently I found the upward "spikes" are adjustable....
  • Options
    The player is designed with low centre of gravity, which will help providing a more solid soundstage and bass performance. I was tempted to adjust the spikes to their minimal height but I need to ensure it has sufficient space for the FR power cord. Not sure if I can special order a FR/OR with rectangular plug.......

2500 safely sits on top of the base and final "level" check on its horizontal position
  • Options
    Powered by FR, connected by SMR, player with top notch craftmanship, ready to sing....
  • Options
    With limited run-in, it already outperforms the Audioaero Prestige SE that I used before, though it's not an apple to apple comparison. The obvious difference is its soundsatge expansion and the "texture" of instruments and vocals. Like I said before, it does not sound like a single box CD player. I will let the burn in process continue and will share more.

OR#009 is being run-in as well, as commented by Mr. Wavac, I will try it on the preamp, step by step.....

Bigpiece
  • Options
    上海大舊哥

好靚仔的CD機
    OR線是否已到貨?
    你用在那裡?我想知多些OR的性能
  • Options
    Fat Gor
    This is a special one delivered by AE...
    Thanks Jlam and PT.
    Bigpiece
  • Options
    Bigpiece, the impulse to have this CD player is big even I have the 2000p/5000s. Thanks taken care of my Da Vinci Grandezza cartridge. With the DV arm you have over there, you will be in musical heaven with string and vocal music. Your goldfinger and soon to arrive grandezza are two extremes.
  • Options
    Dear MatthewC, thanks for your order of Zanden 2500 CDP. Yamada san is now awaiting for the delivery of special made transformer for it. He targets to ship before end of the year, conditioning on the delivery of the transformer. I don't think he has any xmas holiday as the 2500 is seriously back ordered, plus the upcoming preparation for the CES.
  • Options
    Puyi
    I will be more then happy to take care of your Grandezza cartridge. This is a long awaited musical jewel for me and I think it is a must have item for classical music lover. I will get a Phantom for GF, as I also like 70/80s cantopop very much.

For the 2500 CDP, I can fully understand why you have such an impulse. It's a piece of arts even if it is not turned on. The metallic mechanical part embodied in the translucent acrylic projects a strong sense of "zen". However, the stylish design is not just for ornamentation, it is intended to minmise the vibration that may affect the its sonic performance. Its a perfect blend of practical and artistic considerations.

I have been waiting for this since the beginning of the year. I had an option to go for Orpheus 0 + 1SE, which is undoubtedly a value for money combo, especially for those who have analogue source. I was struggling but finally made up my mind since I owned 0+1 before. I want something different.
  • Options
    Thanks JLam. I am looking forward to it. Fingers crossed, maybe I will have my X'mas/New Year present after all :-)

I have been trying to simplify my system after the installation of my LP setup, and I have high hopes for the Zanden player. Actually I am hoping that 2500 will not only simplify, but will also bring my system to new height for CD playback at the same time. I just need that Siemens-Halske CCa.....
  • Options
    I still recalled the Technics portable CD player that my brother first bought in early 80's as an alternate source to his Luxman B&W combo. The CD was quite an impact due to its cool look and quiet background noise. However, compared with the LP source, I still recall it produced sound but not music.

With more then 20 years of technology advancement, the media and playback system have become more mature. If you are looking at the technical specifications, there should not be very big difference between those moderately prirced models and the ultraexpensive models. Moreover, the gap between their performance is getting closer and closer. In other means, the marginal improvement in performance against the marginal cost that you need to pay is not linear.

I am not a techie and have limited understanding on those technology behind. Whether a component, especially digital source is good to me or not is simply determined by how close I can be connected to the performer. My preferred initial test is listening to vocals, but in launguage that I have no clue, like Japanese, Korean, etc. Evergreen favorite is Azenchitai, recent favorite is "My lovely Samson" soundtrack. I dont understand what they are singing but I feel I am connected to the performers. The 2500 gives me a very strong connection.......
  • Options
    MatthewC,

I guess it is time to share some nice photo shots of your Zanden CDP with all of us?

PT
  • Options
    Thanks to Ah Hung for delivering the Zanden to my home as soon as he got it.... Really exciting.