Skip to content
Options

DSo, welcome to the Zanden club!

Your Zanden 2000p has arrived today. I am keen to listen Zanden 2000p/5000s feeding the Wavac PR-T1/Wavac 805.

Comments

• Options
    PT,

Noted with thanks, I will contact Ah Hung for the delivery. You will be the first one to be invited for a review right after the burn-in period.

Danny
  • Options
    Hi Danny, welcome to the Zanden club. Can you share some picture of your system?
  • Options
    Danny,

Please share some pictures of your nice system. Share your Zanden 2000p/5000s experience with AE fellows when you have some more free time.

Have you already arranged the listening session for Studiogrey and Charles?

PT
  • Options
    PT & Voy,

Unfortunately I will be staying in China until Saturday, I will try to shoot some pictures this Sunday and share my experience with you guys early next week.

After a few hours with this magic combo, my first impression was“ Wow, what a live concert!”

I will try to invite them for an audition on Sunday, you have time to join?

Danny
  • Options
    All,

After a week continuous run-in, it's the right time to review and comment on this Zanden combo. I used Metronome T1A signature transport partnered with Zanden dac before the arrival of the Zanden transport, the sound was already so musical and I had been enjoying the music so much every weekend. However I was totally shocked by the liveliness, smoothness and 3D realism of the music coming from this unbelievable combo.

Most of the CD combo can provide a very high resolution however without microscopic steps when the music flows from one note to the next, and the sound becomes lack of air and harmonics thus more digital. Yamada-san really knows how to capture these steps and make the instruments sparkle with life, open and lots of air. The soundstage is tremendous coherent, seamless and 3 dimensional, together with the stunning hall effect the music is damn so close to real - a live concert.

With the help of the Wavac PRT1 and M805, the overall sound has remarkable top-to-bottom continuity and always accompanies with speed and dynamics. The wonderful treble and midrange are naturally transparent but rich, harmonic and full. All the instruments and vocals are much much livelier than before.

If you are looking for solid imaging and dead quiet background, this magic combo is not your cup of tea. If you are a frequent concert goer, I am pretty sure you will love this beautiful pair. I must give tribute to Yamada-san who has developed such a great product.

Danny

A full picture of my system
  • Options
    A close look
  • Options
    What a beautiful couple!
  • Options
  • Options
    DSo, you got a fantastic system over there. Is the Horning Eufrodite on your radar screen? Or you will get horny like Marvel bro?
  • Options
    Dso, 好有品味的組合, 木色櫬得靚. 我都知Zanden有料到, 無奈冇水, 最後決定跟grey兄訂了過天鵝盤學下聽膠膠. Zanden加Wavac可以話係雙劍合壁, 幼細加氣勢並重!我睇你離高效率世界不遠矣.
  • Options
    Hi Voy & Fat Gor,

My favorite music is mainly orchestral pieces and soundstage plays a very important role in the quality of enjoyment. My Vision does an excellent job in this aspect. There are quite a few tempted speakers in my mind, but I have to be very cautious as the burn-in process is too painstaking. Besides, the matching between the power amp and speaker can make a huge difference to the performance of our system. I guess I have to visit more AE fellows before making this big decision.

Anyway, you are welcome to come here for an audition and perhaps you may help me to pick the right speaker.

Danny

• Options
    Danny,

You are certainly welcome to make a visit to my place. I believe the new speaker does not have a stringent criteria for power amp matching and strongly believe Wavac would match it very well. With such strong set of source and amplification combination, I am sure your current speaker will hit the threshold and will not satisfy your higher demand especially on orchestral type of music.

I was once told by PT that the bandwidth of Wavac is extremely wide and one of the limiting factor might be the speaker if one believes Wavac is only good at the midrange, it is not because of the Wavac, it is due to the speaker not able to reveal the rest of the other frequency bandwidth leading to an apparent 'boost' in the midrange energy. Now I am using the Wavac phono with the new horn, I have no feeling at all on compression and feel that the horn can actually let me undertsand more about the Wavac phono and its matching with the cartridge. A lesson that cannot be learnt without going through the transition from conventional multiple driver speaker to horn speaker.

I am pretty confident that you will like my speaker when you come over and listen to it.

Marvel

By the way, thanks for passing me the tube for the Zanden DAC, I have yet to swap it back with the original one.

• Options
    Hi Marvel,

There is a very good chemistry between the Wavac and Vision, you will be amazed by the sound coming out from them. Please come to my place then you know what I mean. Of course, I truly believe the Cessaro Horn can bring my system much closer to, like Mr. Zanden said, hi-fi nirvana. I would love to revisit your place, please let me know when you can be available.

The small tubes can really do some magic to our system. Recently I replaced the tubes of my PRT1 by NOS Mullard (long tube square ring type), the music became much airy, harmonic and full. Those NOS tubes can outperform the new Chinese tubes almost in every aspect. I highly recommend you to put more into your system especially you are now using a very high efficiency horn.

Danny
  • Options
    DSo, where are you using the OR? I am curious to know.
  • Options
    PT,

After 1 week run-in, I got the best result by plugging it into the power bar. But it is not a fair judgement as my previos one is homemade Belden. I am going to pick up another one tomorrow and will try to compare the result between matching with pre-amp and transport. Though I am a kind of cautious guy, I have a feeling there will be at least 3 or 4 OR joining my cable family.

Danny