Skip to content
Options

PT's choice of amplifier for the Cessaro: Zanden 9000-300B push pull

At last, they arrived today.

Comments

• Options
    Yamada to me and PT 3 months ago, "I will design an amplifier to drive the Cessaro well. Trust me." He said he has never listened to a speaker that can recreate live music so well. The word "trust" carries weight from a man that we know for years with integrity, superb enginnering skills, an ever inquisitive mind into the latest technology alongside deep understanding of live music all through his career.
  • Options
    We do not push him to finish it. We do not know what are the new technology inside. We simply know this "trust" will eventually translate into musicality.
  • Options
    Sorry for the quality of this picture but there are Yamada's latest metal feet underneath this enormous 300B push pull amplifier.
  • Options
    I am touched. I really am.
  • Options
    In the first page of the manual, it says the following:

"Brute force has a certain appeal, and many famous manufacturers offer just that when it comes to power amplifiers. I would call it the shock/awe school of amplifier design. Shock the listener with such high decibels that he or she simpy forgets about the music. However, we at Zanden strive to create the best overall amplifier possible rather than focus on the novelty of extreme performance in a single area. It takes finesse and patience to weave through the compliexities of a musical passage in order to reveal the intricate beauty. Music contains rhythm, melody and harmony. It is not crushing and overwhelming bass. With that in mind, Zanden has possibly created the world's most musical amplifiers with the Model 9000-300b push pull, utilizing the technological know-out learn during the creation of the 9500/9600 series of power amplifiers. The 9000-300b offers an unsurpassed combination of transparency, speed and genuine tonality across the frequency spectrum. The only thing you will focus in music, not the amplifiers any more."
  • Options
    Yamada san told me that he will use the latest transformers with extreme wide band-width in order to satisfy the revealing power of the Cessaro Horn. The first few bars from the fingers of Maria Joao Pires really shows off the dynamic capability of this amplifier. We played another record. The voice of Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau when performing the Winterreise op.89 is so....... sorry words really cannot describe the emotional bearing felt on me.

There are no SRAs Ohio underneath them, no fancy tubes "yet", and damn the burn-in process as we just hooked them up and....

We are touched. Thank you Yamada san.

(We are now extremely confident about the unique creation for Mr.Zanden.)
  • Options
    Jlam, do you mean this is a tailor made model for the Cessaro?
  • Options
    Jlam, did you weep during the DFD session?
  • Options
    Voy, I was silent.
  • Options
    Voy, Jeff,

During summer, Yamada san came to HK to listen to the Cessaro horn. At dinner time, Mr.Zanden reported significant sound improvement after the connection between the 9600 amplifier and the Cessaro changed from 4ohm to 8ohm. It could be the other way round as I don't remember these tech thing too clearly. Later, Ralph said it should be about 6ohm if I remember correctly.

The 9000-300b has three impendance to choose now, low, mid and high. Knowing this, we connected to the mid, and the rest we did not really care about checking what exactly was the number as I and PT were totally absorbed into the music.
  • Options
    Can 18watt control the 16 inch bass?
  • Options
    Is it too early for tube rolling exercises on this pair of beautifully made amp?
  • Options
    That's very interesting. Can you share more after two more days of listening?