Skip to content
Options

Any tips how to set up 3 motor for Raven AC?

Marvel, you seem to be the only using the 3-motor version. May I know if there are any tips to set this up better? I will have the 3 motors upgrade within this week. What is the improvement of 3 motor over 1 motor?

Comments

• Options
    Puyi,

Better come over and see the real thing... both of us may need to 'trial and err' as I believe your experience on turntable is much more than myself.

Marvel
  • Options
    Huhhh???
  • Options
    Puyi,

I meant, please come to my place and we both try to move those motors around. Setting them up is easy, just connect the motors to the main control unit. I found the positioning of those motors leading to the surface of the belt in touch with the platter is very key to the overall sounding. How much the belt is being stretched does change the sound as well.

So we need to try and see what is the optimal...

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel, I think you are too humble. I am just looking for quick and dirty solution.
  • Options
    Any quick and dirty tips for me, Marvel?
  • Options
    Puyi,

Since you are already using the one motor, the quickest way is for me to put up a few photos of my set up and see if it helps on your setup. With 3 motors, the surface contact between the belt and the platter becomes smaller. I also followed the verbal suggestions by Thomas when he came to HK.

Will post the photos later. When will your motors be delivered?

Marvel
  • Options
    Puyi,

Marvel bro may be too humble to teach us some tricks. I think you should pay attention to following points.

1. Place the 3 motors very close to the plinth. One on the left side,
    one on the right side and one in the front.

2. The distance between the motor and the plinth should be around
    5mm.
    3. Fit the strap with the smooth side outside and the rough side
    inside.
    4. The flat belt has to run in the middle of the Motorpulleys runway.
    Do the same for all 3 motors
    5. You may need to adjust the height of the 3 motors many times to
    achieve 4.
    6. Only after that start doing adjustment of speed.

Marvel bro may add a few more points for us.

• Options
    Thanks Voy,

(4) may take some time but it is important to run the belt smoothly within the middle of the pulleys and levelling of the 3 motors and the main turntable is vital to make this a success. All the feet of the motor and turntable can be level adjusted so you need to do the levelling carefully.

My setup is slightly different from Voy's. I put 2 motors one on the left and one on the right of the turnable. Instead of putting the 3rd motor on the front, I put it at the back. Again, we need to finetune the positions of all these motors as it would affect the surface contact and the torsion of the belt against the platter of the turntable.

When will your 3-motor be delivered?

Marvel
  • Options
    This is my current positioning of the motors....
  • Options
    Thanks for all the comments. The Raven is truly a world class LP system!
  • Options
    Marvel bro, any rough idea of the big black bird's weight distribution?