Skip to content
Options

Tron 7 Referene phono

This is a good phonostage. I wonder how it compares with Zanden. I know there are a few syren users here. Is the phonostage inside the syren much better than the 7 reference?

Comments

• Options
    Henry,

I am a current user of the built in phono in the Syren preamp, I have briefly listened to the Zanden phono in my system. They both exhibit a very strong musical sense in terms of rhythms, tempo and coherence. Syren has more emphasis on transient speed, transparency and dynamics creating vivid images on chamber music, piano sonata, violin, etc. I believe Tron7 Reference has similar characteristics. On the other hand, I am also a Zanden fans given my house CD source is Zanden. Zanden phono exhibits the same design theme of Yamada San and carries a strong feel of the timbre and ambience of the instruments. Comparing the linearity across the frequencies, I would say Zanden is a bit more 'apparent' in the midrange than in the other 2 ends while Syren has a more even distribution of frequency response. I didn't extensively listen to Zanden phono and my comments above cannot be conclusive at all. Just want to share a bit of experience for your reference.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel, thanks for sharing. I don't feel 7 ref has more emphasis on transient. Your descriptions on Zanden seem to fit my experience with 7 ref more. Why is that? I use Wavac PR-T1 linestage, wavac 805 and Horning speakers.
  • Options
    Henry,

I don't know, may be my listening experience is based upon the Syren phono+preamp while yours is on Tron phono+Wavac preamp. The chemistry may be different. Are you using DV cartridge and arm? In my case, I am using Dynavector +DV arm, so that may be another element of variant as well.

If DV is producing the kind of music that you like, my guess is you might also like Zanden phono.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel, yes the da vinci arm with the grandezza cartridge are magnificient for music appreciation. I don't care hi fi attributes which may deem important for most. I am not familiar with dyna cartridge. I know it has rave review everywhere. Isn't it kind of strange that you are not using the grandezza cartridge with the arm? The grandezza cartridge has no review but I love every bit of it.

The tron is good enough for me. I am curious to know more about Zanden as I noitce many users here despite its high price and stil a 16-bit machine in a world of 24 bits, sacd, and upsampling etc...