Skip to content
Options

O vs Z

A set of Zanden source
A set of Orpheus source
A blind test.
which is best source on the world(digital)?

Comments

• Options
    This is really depends on your own taste!!!

...But some times our taste will keep change.........Thats why econ is growing..............
  • Options
    Studiogrey,

Without knowing if there will be a Heritage transport soon, I presume you are talking about an Orpheus Zero + Heritage DAC vs Zanden transport + DAC. Hm...even when I am the owner of the Z-combo + the Heritage, I cannot say which one is better, depending on the type of music and recording, you can yield very rewarding results from both combo. Come to my place when you are less occupied and we can chat further on this.

In either way, I think CD playback will be noticeably better than E, that is something I am pretty sure though. If you are longing for the extended bandwidth and dynamics of what SACD promises to deliver, I think a safer and more rewarding medium is LP. I have given up the Swiss Candies SACD and am not moved by the recent British 3-stack hotcakes and the German 1-piece tank. I am now a beginner but keen LP lover.

Marvel
  • Options
    The sound of Zanden resembles LP sound, very natural. The orpheus heritage is musical but not similar to LP sound. The heritage has more dynamic, control and big sound space and higher desnity. It really depends on what you need. I listened to the heritage with the da vinci system and the kharma midi exquisite. The soundstage is really cool.

On some very good CD recording such as those by Ella and Louis armstrong, the sound from the Zanden system with the Cessaro horn are almost no different from LP. When I listened to this system, I thought PT is playing LP because the raven ac is spinning. Actually it is CD. It is amazing.

They are good stuff, both of them. Maybe, the best is to buy them both like Marvel bro.
  • Options
    studiogrey Hing,

靜極思動乎?

• Options
    Marvel, the three stack British 'hotcakes' would that be DCS Scarlatti?
    The swiss and the german one piece what might they be, I have been listening to lots of Cd players recently, none of them a pach on vinyl, have you heard anything that comes close? Yours sincerely,Keith.
  • Options
    Keith,

In fact, I have briefly listened to dCS and I think it is a very very good CD combo as well. I was not moved because (1) it is too pricely (2) I have a strong feeling that Heritage DAC+upcoming Heritage transport will have an upper hand. Both should belong to the mega-detailed, dynamical and high transparency camp.

In my recent audition of the Orpheus Zero transport + Heritage DAC in the Da Vinci system, I think it is very very close to vinyl in all of the above attributes. You should find time to listen to this in PT's ssytem.

Marvel
  • Options
    Studiogrey, I agree it really depends on taste. Zanden is very analog sounding, smooth and natural. The orpheus heritage sounds younger than Zanden. Zanden is more matured sound. But for hi fi element, the hertiage seems to have more. Zanden is pure music.
  • Options
    多謝Marvel 同各位大大的意見!
    有関訊源,我都覺得LP會係比CD好,但因軟件問題,應該呢幾年都唔會玩住.
    我自己對O牌的器材較有興趣,因為我都較喜歡Hi Fi effect好的器材.
    我暫時都對Eso幾喜歡,應該短期內唔會換咗.
  • Options
    Studiogrey,

I look forward to seeing your E in Lee's place soon...ha ha...

Anytime this week for some x-cultivation?

Marvel
  • Options
    Have any of you guys heard the Lavry 924 DAC, had it here briefly last week and it was probably the bestdigital source i have heard,it really grabs your attention the way vinyl does ( and CD usually doesn't 1 ) Keith.
  • Options
    That is a dac for pro audio. What transport were you listening with the 924?
  • Options
    The Lavry 924 dac is for pro use. The home use version is the Lavry DA2002 which was reviewed by Stereophile in Aug 2004. Pro use dac has the characteristic to pursue to convert the CD digital signal to analog sound in very precise manner.
    It means that you might not find too many exciting hifi elements in the Lavry's Dac. Some would even say that it is too plain and boring.
  • Options
    I assure you it is neither plain nor boring! It has very many of the qualities of my turntable ( TW/Graham/ XV1-S ) sumptuos rich tone, very dynamic, internally the 924 and 2002 are identical , according to Dan lavry.
  • Options
    Hi Keith. I'm happy to know that you are not the 'some'.
    2002 has the rca output but 924 doesn't have it.
    For 2002, I love its real and natural sound.
    Listening the O's dac, I found that I'm in the music concert.
    From Z''s dac, I can hear the lyrics of the music.
    They all all masterpieces. The choice depends on your taste and your needs.