Skip to content
Options

Mr.Zanden and the Horning Eufrodite

The Horning Eufrodite is a pair of speakers that I admire very very much. Everyone who heard the Eufrodite either bought one after a short while or longed for one eventually. There was exception. Mr.Zanden was not happy with the bass performance of the Eufrodite in the AE showroom. Subsequently, Srajan had similar comments until he heard the musical experience of Eufrodite driven by Kondo electronics in Peter's home.

To cut a long story short, Mr.Zanden is happy about the Eufrodite after taming the beast for almost a week through his superb room acoustic skills. He acknowledges the merits of the speakers on vocal and classical music. Azzuri and Butcher were there with me listening the Zanden/Horning combo for 2 hours. I will let them to write about their impressions. What the sound impresses me the most is bass layering and the ability of the speaker to dive very deep under. Azzuri told me afterwards that he had never heard bass went this deep either in my place or in Marvel's place. When bass layers develop, it naturally forms the foundation of the musical landscape. The interwining of double bass and cello on the Rossini recording was rendered with rhythm, clarity and harmonic development. The subsequent delivery of bass energy was free of smearing and booming in his listening room. In my previous encounter with the Eufrodite, I could not even get the lower mid bass performs properly.

I need not repeat the performance of other tracks that we had listened as I am a big fan of high efficiency speaker. I am sure Mr.Zanden knows why now. The immediacy alongside microdynamics and timbre revealations are unique. When he was spinning Heifeitz's violin LP on his Kuzma turntable, the tone of the violin is just stunning, totally free of the riging (as in the case of ceramic driver) that often colorates the mid-high section of violin. Performance of vocal is excellent as that is the inherent strength of the lowther.

When I was there for 2 hours, I constantly received SMS from Marvel and Bigpiece, asking me the performance of the Eufrodite under the hands of Mr.Zanden. I admire this passion very much. Everyone wants to learn from each other with a sole purpose to improve. Mr.Zanden has stimulated us tremendously in the past few weeks. Rightly so, his spirit is spreading out to all other AE fellows. We are very excited about the arrival of his Cessaro Alpha One Horn system this week. I am sure there will be another climax in our community soon.

Mr.Zanden, based on my humble experience of this speaker, I can assure you the peformance of the vocal has room for improvement if you change to better interconnects and speaker cables. In the world of high efficiency, the strength/weakness of the cables will magnify to the maximum. There is no cover up. You will understand when you are dealing with a 100db sensitivity Alpha One soon enough.

Once again, I am melted down by your passion. The carrot cake is excellent. Thank you very much for your hospitality.

PT

Comments

• Options
    Butcher, who is now a proud owner of Horning Aristoteles, must learn some tricks to improve his speakers even more after yesterday's visit. Look at the side panels of the Eufodite.

Charles, after the source upgrade, you may want to consider the Horning!
  • Options
    我再有機會去參觀mr. zandan, 去聽他的怎樣處理這對horning頂級的speaker, 我聽完一整個上午, mr. zandan 可以輕鬆地處理這麼難攪的低頻. 聽double bass, good. 我真的沒有什麼可以說. 始終是音響專家. 哈哈. 佩服. 這對horning speaker在全套zanden系統所帶出來的聲音, 聽古典, 音樂劇, 真是一絕^^ excellant. 但有一樣可以說, 就是我自己覺得大horning低頻的動態不同我的家裡小horning, 好像我的低頻反彈得好快, 我不知為何. 算啦, 我家裡始終做不到mr. zanden的效果, 級數有別^^
  • Options
    I missed the Zanden’s day a few weeks ago but luckily I had another opportunity to visit Mr Zanden’s home last Saturday to listen to his system with Horning Eufrodite. I listened to this speakers three times, one with Da Vinci, the other with Shindo and this time with Zanden.

The most stunning performance came from the bass. As what I said to PT, I have never encountered such kind of bass before. The bass just went to very deep and it seemed that there was still room for the sound to dig deeper. Now I fully understand the area that my own speakers lack of.

Mr Zanden played different kinds of music to demonstrate how Eufrodite was assimilated to the Zanden gear. My impression on the speakers was changed. It became a muscular man when it was driven by Zanden, very powerful and having strong body. Eufrodite behaved differently when compared to Shindo and Da Vinci when it looked like a very handsome man with delicate and refined bodyline. I found a little trace of “muddy” feel when I listened to Eufrodite with Zanden while it was total transparent when Eufrodite was driven by Da Vinci or Shindo, particularly the former. Although Eufrodite delivered superb vocal, I still like the “fast and direct” feeling characterized by horn speakers. I really look forward to listening to Mr Zanden’s gear when Alpha One arrives at Mr Zanden house some time later.

Beside the delicious home-made carrot cake, one more impressive experience is worth mentioning. Mr Zanden was playing some classical music as warm-up when we just arrived at his house. I don’t need to repeat here for the quality of the sound but the most amazing thing was the source. I could not believe it when we were told that we were just listening to radio. Mr Zanden did not show us the radio but I believe it was a very good stuff. Well, we are always surrounded by good music transmitted by the wave signal in the air. ^__^