Skip to content
Options

Concept of Soundstage - Lessons learn from Heritage and Zanden Super Clock system

After a few more days of burning in, one major noticeable change over the previous version, other than much better control in bass, is the reduction of airy inflation that is always associated with the nature of tube.

Inflation of ambience/airy feeling is always taken as a plus by audiophiles but too much of such always compromises localization of imaging in their respective space. Usually, the depth perspective is lessened but you won\'t noticed the problem because every one got carried away by the AIRY feeling.

The depth of the soundtage, in my subjective opinion, is not defined by the amount of subjective air but by the locations of musical objects in the Z-axis. Separation of musical object A from object B does not immediate warrant better depth. I think this is a result of better transparency. Whether this improvement in transparency is evident in x, y, z axiss will depends on the accuracy of the clock.

I have a French dac that produces enormous amount of airy surrounding every musical objects but I can never really see the real soundstage as every recording, one after one, the soundstage is flat in a horizontal line, although separation of musical instrument from each other can be achieved.

Further run-in of the Zanden super clock system seems totally get rid of the airy characteristics of tube. Don\'t get me wrong that the virtual space that defines the localization of the musical object is gone, definitely not the case. It is still there but with more focus and hence better spatial definition. Spatial definition is not achieved by a bunch of subjective air, now I am pretty sure.

Comments

• Options
    Tuner, should I buy both? Just tell me which dac is better.
  • Options
    Voy,

I have used Zanden DAC and I think compare to Heritage DAC, Zanden still has a slim touch of coloration on the midrange and perhaps this is the inherent character of all tube gear but you will like this slight favour. However, if you are after absolute neutrality, absolute balance, absolute compression free playback, Heritage is the choice.

I gave up Zanden for the Heritage given $$ and space, so far, I have not regretted until I read the recent writings by Tuner on the superclock upgrade. I even toy up the idea of getting the Zanden DAC back and subscribe the very limited superclock upgrade. I am using SMR EE AES/EBU digital from the Zanden 2000P to Heritage. For some reason I don\'t like the BNC/RCA converter in Zanden and eventhough I have got the SMR EE RCA digital, I still prefer to use AES. Interestingly and perhaps I am biased to believe Heritage runs better on AES/EBU and XLR.

With Zanden 2000P superclock + SMR EE digital + Heritage DAC, I would say many LP system would be challenged.

Marvel
  • Options
    I went Tuner home today. HIs description of the super clock attract me. Last time, I was shocked by Eason Chan recording. Now, I know it can be even better. The super clock zanden transport more quiet, more focus, the bass disperse easily with air. It is very natural, soundstage very 3D. More presence from the audience, more details.

Tuner let me do blind test between orpheus super dac and the super clock zanden system. It is not easy.

Anyone want to take my Kalista? Please drop a note.

I advise not to visit Tuner that often.

Julian
  • Options
    Hi Julian,

It is always pains-takingly to leave PianoTuner\'s home with a mixed feeling of \'how can he make it\' and \'how can I make the same\'...Still I would like to have the Last Tango with Zanden superclock by visiting Tuner shortly which is a visit that I long for. I am a 2000P user and no doubt the obvious path is to upgrade to this superclock. My argument not to do so is because I am using the Heritage DAC which uses its own clock signal and ignores the clocking signal from the transport. Then why do I need to upgrade the clock in the transport without the need to use it? Tuner\'s reply to this is scaringly calm: you come and find out the answer as he has got the Heritage and Zanden DACs for a blind test...

I might need to bring my 2000P for a blind test...will update this forum in the next few days!

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel,

That superclock stuff sounds freaking crazy to me. Do you know what the hack with the Heritage dac always no stock, but you gentlemen out there got all the stock in the world. I am pissed about the production speed. Why some dudes alway got first tickets?

What\'s up with the sacd shit? Give me a minute, can you name me a few sacd recording that has the musical quality? I am on the same yardstick with that Jeff dude, don\'t waste time on the swiss greedy man. Get some black discs, be a real audiophile. SACD, don\'t you know Sony and Phiilps are giving them out already?

• Options
    Mr.Ramos, I feel the same as yours too. I am not happy the speed of delivery. Marvel always has the first tickets. Maybe, you should complaint to J.Lam.

It is not a secret Philips and Sony give up SACD development. Many manufacturer stop doing sacd player production. A universal player, maybe, but pure sacd player, a risky project. Didn\'t Jlam mention to you this is the reason why Zanden terminate the sacd player project? Marvel, please act smart.

I agree with Mr.Ramos, can you name a few SACD recordings that are worthy of this technology?

Jeff
  • Options
    Marvel, where are you? Afraid of vinyl people/?
  • Options
    Dear Jeff,

No, no, no....

I will try LP in 2007 and I will likely go for the 3 motors version of the Raven if $$ permits+DaVinci Arm+DynaVector+Syren Ref Phono.

SACD..well..just an experience. Frankly if Burmester is going to have one, I might still go for it for a try...afterall, hi-fi journey and music journey sometimes joint up and sometimes divert. I guess I am not spinning too far off the tangent.