Skip to content
Options

A Full Range/Horn Experience

2»

Comments

• Options
    First, we got to deal with reflection on the ceiling. I put a diffusor at the top to retrieve more ambience at the top. The glass cabinet at the back of the right speaker was treated by another diffusor to reduce vibration. The floor needs a carpet but there is none today. I listened again, ok, much more focus but the imaging is not right. The left hand side speaker needs to toe-in more. The original postiion projects an image behind the listening position. Azzurri took out a soft-ruler and measure the length requires to reach my position and toe-in accordingly. Bingo, the trumpet from John Coltrane jumped out form the radial horn tweeter and the whole jazz band retreated behind the green glass wall. The front to back soundstaging came back.
  • Options
    A silver resonator was put on the top of the false-ceiling to reduce energy trapped upthere. A platinum resonator was placed on the top of the green glass to suppress vibration. We need platinum's higher damping factor to suppress the glass vibration. After the treatment, Azzurri was back in the listening position with a big smile.

• Options
    I shall return next Sunday afternoon to do further treatment. This is a system that kills those who use eyes to judge sound. The cabinet like speaker disappears. 80% of John Coltrane's jazz band floats up in the smal listening space. The soundstage extended beyond the highly vibrating glass with a plasma TV in the middle. Voice of soprano goes up through the roof without distortion. Last but not least is the bass elasticity demonstrated from double bass is very bouncy with weight and speed.

I must salute to those guys who make the Orpheus zero and O1SE dac. The slim size betrays the substance of them. It's good to have a youngster or a newcomer as he called himself to cut a long way short and just focus on the playback quality of the recorded event on those silvery discs.

Given the constraints of the physical environment, less than ideal spacing, and full of reflective surfaces everywhere, I still intend to work on this system to make it at least one of the showcases in the Eastern Island.
  • Options
    Azzurri,

I am sure you have tears behind those smiles as the Platinum resonator is not cheap....Next Sunday...I will come along and enjoy the fruition of all the climb up and down by the little fat Jlam to fix the resonators for you...

Marvel
  • Options
    Azzurri,

Do you have plan to spin some vinyl? Your steel rack looks pretty lonely on the top other the digital clock? If I were you, I would put the clock away from my eyes when I listen to music.

You sound like a hot shot. You will have JLam, Marvel bro and PT checking your system up. You better peform, man.

How's teresa singing thru your horn tweeter?

• Options
    post photo first
  • Options
    post photo first ^0^
  • Options
    Butcher,

I heard from PT that you finally go for the Monbrison and use it to drive O3. How do you find Monbrison? I believe you think you should have bought it earlier.

Azzurri
  • Options
    Azzurri,

Thanks for inviting us to come along and I hope my son has not caused any damage to your study room with so nice a seaview!

Your system reconfirms that belief that synergetic effect is something we should not undermine especially between the matching of the power amp and the speaker...I recall mentioning this in some other threads in this forum that recently I begin to realise it is even more important to have a matching pair of power amp and speaker than a matching pair of preamp and power amp. I am still learning to understand the matching parameters between Baldur mono block and Eufrodite but interestingly on last Sat, I swapped the preamp from Syren to Karan and I found a much better bass dispersion. It is definitely not the case when I swapped preamps using Neo as the speaker. This 'gear matching game' seems never ending to me.

Back to your new Horn speaker from the same make as the amplication stage. I think the overall presentation is extremely wide and open unfolding much details from the recording. Dynamics of the jazz and guitar music that we played is phenomenal. All harmonic decays can be captured and bounced to my ears at the 'sweet pot' carefully tuned by position of the speakers and the positioning of the resonator/diffusors. One amazing thing was the booming factor of your room has been significantly reduced albeit the sheer volume of the speaker itself and the amount of bass energy released from the music that we played. Amazing.

I have close to nil experience on horn speaker so the usual type of hi fi elements like pinpointing of the musical images are not as apparent as the traditional speakers. You may noticed that I move up to the front and occasionally moved back to stand behind the sofa. I could imagine if your listening position can be moved 2-3 feet away from the speaker and with the speakers repositioned a bit on the tilting angle, the images could be more focused and yet the soundstage can be even wider. Of course, physical constraint cannot be resolved short term so compromise seems to be inevitable.

The use of the glass and steel rack adds a bit of ringing noise especially it was a bit unsettling for me on piano but this is not insurmountable. With the wooden platform by Franck and some further cable tweaking, this is perhaps a one very minor issue that you can leave behind for the time being.

Summing up, my impression to the amplification has been significantly enhanced after listeing to their own speaker mating with it. The kind of total solution can ensure one supplementing the others and fully embrace the spirit of 'teamwork'.

You have already got a very powerful CD source, what remains might be a small and classy LP setup to fully explore the built in phono of your preamp.

Marvellous choice of this upgrade path and you have jumped a few steps...Congratulations!

Marvel
  • Options
    Azzurri

This Pre-amp is produce an amazing sound.
  • Options
    Azzuri,

What had you learnt from visiting Mr.Zanden? His reverent spirit is truly amazing. You are the one of the few buddies here using one brand straight. Mr.Zanden has a complete suite of Zanden electronics driving the Avalon and now the Horning.

What's your take on the sound of Zanden vs Shindo? I am interested to know how well did the Eufrodite perform driven by 845 based design. The Zanden/Tron combo of mine is doing just adequate in my listening area. I have to be realistic about 300B not posible to fill out the space of mine. But the sonics of 300b and its piercing transparency force me to give up power. I have to have both but no possible to do it in one system.

Drop me a few lines when time permits.

Voy R
  • Options
    Voy, I wrote a few words on my experience with Zanden and Eufrodite. Please just go to the topic and have a look. It is always my pleasure to share my experience with you and other big brothers here.
  • Options
    Hi Azzurri, I recently bought a used pair of Petite Latour from HK, and I have a feeling they may be your old speakers. I would like to ask you some questions about them, if you don't mind and have the time could you please email me at shindoismATgmailDOTcom
  • Options
    Damian, whether it is my pair or not does not matter, I am happy to share my experience with you. Please check your email.