Skip to content
Options

The Orpheus One SE arrived yesterday!

Let me go back a little first. I sold my old DAC a week before the arrival of the SE, the missing link disabled my CD-only two channel system. During the period, I was so bored that I even watched soap opera with my wife. That was how low I have sunk! However, the wait was over. Even w/o direct comparison with the old DAC, the SE is stunningly superior.

When I first connected the SE, I listened briefly, I noticed the hi-fi attributes was not that different from before, except that the treble was obviously more extended and more resolute, and the bass was less than my too-bass-heavy old DAC, so good, it has already corrected the two main issues I had with my old DAC.

I let the SE played a few hours when my wife and I went out for dinner and workout last night. After coming back home, I finally had the chance to sit down and did a more careful listening. And wow! what a huge transformation the SE brought to my system! I had the strong feeling that I was listening to music instead of hi-fi. The most telling sign was that, everything I played I just fell deep in to it, even the tracks I did not care for before took on their own life and became enjoyable. I was thinking I may need to do some fine tuning after the arrival of the new component, but no, at least not yet, the DAC just played music right. I am not thinking about too bright, too dark, soundstage, imaging and all that, I just paid attention to how beautiful and how real the music was.

I now understand what Linnman said about “gets the basic right�. AE, thanks again for your wonderful products and advice!

Robert

Comments

• Options
    Robert, no dac under USD12,000 is better than the O1SE in my opinion. My previous dac is audio synthesis latest version. The difference between sound and music is big, I understand now.
  • Options
    Congras! I trust you know what we meant before
    Bigpiece
  • Options
    Hi, Robert,

I am glad that you find 01SE much more musical than your previous DAC which we have discussed on emails that it is a bit colorated in the midrange and speed is not right as well.

Zero+01SE is not easy to find a rivalry in the range of USD20K in my view no matter if you are talking about a one piece player or a transport+dac combo.

I have a very high expectation on their mono amp coming up which features a 3 time bigger transformer than their previous 3-Mono which I have used.

Do drop by next time when you come to HK and hopefully you will find a pair of the new 350Mono 'demo'ing in my system.

Marvel
  • Options
    Yes, I now understand what you guys have been telling about the One SE.

Now that I had it for 2 days, I would say the SE exceeded my high expectation. Again, the most stunning part for me is how it conveys music. It did not matter what I played, vocal, instrument, classical, pop, ... etc., it seems that I was listening to better musicians, playing with finer skill and more emotion, even though those were from the same CDs I have listened to for so many times.

What about power cord on SE? Daniel and Big Piece, what power cord do you use for your Orpheus DAC? I am currently using the Argento Level 1.

Marvel, I was going to Hong Kong in August, but the trip has been postponed to late September. I would love to listen to your latest then, and hopefully the new 350 mono amps. So, does the new mono look completely different from the old 3s?

Robert

• Options
    Level One mk 2 powercord good match with 1se dac. It is a good power cable.
  • Options
    Concur with Daniel, Level 1 MK2 matches well with Orpheus sources and I used it with my DAC before. If you wish to take a step further, SMR-H/SMR could be a better option.

I believe Marvel, being the "cable freak" in HK (or even Asia??), will be happy to share more on his PC experience.

Bigpiece
  • Options
    Robert,

O350 mono is a 'normal sized' power amp because it uses big transformers (1050va) as compared to the 350va in 3 Mono.

For power cord selection, I would recommend you keep this one first as it is reasonably good. SMR is too bulky and heavy to be used and I know Argento is going to have some new power cords in the near future (as I have tried their prototype already)...If you cannot wait, go for SMR EE and this is the 'period' for power cord, no better for sure.

Marvel
  • Options
    Daniel; Big Piece,; Marvel:

Thanks for the power cord suggestion.

I think I may do modest cable upgrades. And for the next stage, I will look into either new speakers or new amps. I am inclined to keep my present Linn Klimaxes, and go for more efficient speakers.

Robert
  • Options
    Robert,

Are you looking for anything above 90db sensitivity or more than 95db? They are different camp.

Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel,

I meant speakers more efficient than my existing 85db Dynaudio C1. I do not want to limit myself to the high efficiency speaker--95db+---camp.

It seems that my Klimax Charkra Twin is doing a decent job driving the C1s. It should do even better with a set of more efficient near full range floor standing speakers. However, there is no speaker of the sort that I am in love with, so I am still watching.

Robert