Skip to content

2024 Munich High-end Show - My impression

Time flies quickly as it was exactly a year ago since I last reported on my visit to M. O. C. after a very long absence. As time waits for no man, I decided to return to 2024 exhibition. I arrived on Thur and today (Sat) is my last day here in Munich.

As usual, weather in last few days was perfect, so we can enjoy mild temperature, good company, good food and last but not least, sound from different systems, large and small.

This time, I slightly conditioned my mindset to listening for enjoyment instead of critical listening to systems at the show, surprisingly, I was a lot more tolerant to some of the below average sound in some of the rooms. Lesson learnt is one should be less critical in life and more embracing if you want to lead a happier life! 

The shuttle bus from Munich Airport to M. O. C. stops here. 

The first room I auditioned on Thur was of course, the Cessaro room! They'd move for the better to a larger room on the ground floor of Hall 4 and the area was bigger, a very welcoming sign as Ralph showcased his lastest flagship horns for domestic listening, the model is called , if I'm not mistaken, Zeta. 

The Zeta is a "mega" system, so don't let the pic deceive you. 

Although I have listened to quite a number of systems (mostly large/full range), this time, I'm going to report on the systems/rooms I have listened to more than once or at least over 30 mins in optimum seating position. 

Comments

• I literally listened to the systems that I liked the most on day 2 (Fri) and then returned the next day to have a second listening plus other systems (large and small).

I'd rather describe in greater details on the systems which sounded best to my ears and refrain from trashing those that are really aweful, I may elaborate later on this.

First up on Fri, I went to listen to another huge system (each speaker is  over 8 ft tall weighing 300kg) in a room (Hall 1) very similar in dimension to Cessaro. The overall sound acoustic is quieter as the only treatment is the curtain at the back, however, the result of this is a less livelier sound.

There is feeling of intimacy in the overall sound especially on vocals and simple music due to lack of hardness, it has the most relaxing sound among a very small number of my preferred systems but can sound dynamic when music calls for it. The ion tweeter has the best treble sound I've ever heard with smooth mid-range. However, due to the partnering amplication from the same company (the designer's son informed me it's a hybrid design), bass is warm, lacking ultimately in control and life-like speed and pitch. Also, there is a warm tonality/coloration caused most probably by the amps, resulting in a slight loss of transparency and micro dynamics . If the designer builds a dedicated transistor amp to drive the 4 on-each-horn enclosure, 15 inch bass units, I'm confident the performance can be improved substantially.

I stayed in this room for 45+ mins on two consecutive days and the nagging issue I had was the turntable was on silent display.

After leaving the big horns, I listened to several more before re-visiting another pair of horns which I thought sounded one of the best last year. Although physically much smaller than the previous two mego horn systems, these exquisitely finished box enclosures sounded very musical, engaging, smooth, a tad lacking in the highs and bass not as deep but full enough due to the much smaller room size, actually bass was a wee bit boomy, lack of acoustic treatment may be the culprit. 

This time, classical music was better than rock to my ears but both types of music should satisfy 90% of the audiophiles in the room, however, ultimately, I noticed a slight lack of transparency and distinct tonality in the overall sound. 

I spent over 30 mins in this room two days in a row before heading to find other interesting systems to listen to. 

To my excitement, I bumped into a very special system (which it's striking color and shape) which intrigued me the most last year. The manufacturer (German) has I think a new design on show in 2024, it is big, very big, but should I describe it correctly, you'll need a very wide room, probably well over 50 ft. The gynormous twin sub-bass cabinets need a lot of breathing area. 

Man, this is easily the most dynamic system I have ever encountered (see the very crude sound pressure reading I recorded on my mobile app). It makes almost all conventional box speakers lacking in dynamics...... 

I spent over one hour listening to this amazing system two days in a row. It's like listening to a live performance. Although sounding amazing especially on jazz and rock, it can't fool me with its reproduction of classical music, which I'm very familiar with, that I'm listening to a live event. Also, perhaps because of the way the speaker system is positioned, imaging and sound stage is below average but most listeners would be mesmorised by its lively and dynamic sound. 

• Now I'm back to the hotel, my excitement in last 3 days of listening to so many systems has subsided, I can consciously say the 4 best systems I have heard are the ones I have reported above. Surprisingly, they are all high efficiency horn designs, I pray to God it is not my bias! 

The Spanish design is number 4, number 3 goes to the tall white horns and until yesterday, both Cessaro and the colorful horn system run neck and neck.

Today, I listened to Pink Floyd's Another brick in the wall, first on the Spanish horns, the sound of the helicopter descending from the right channel and subsequent rock band music should impress all audiophiles.
    However, when the same LP was played through the Cessaro system, the image of helicopter was bigger and much more life like, the subsequent sound of  vocal, guitar and floor-moving bass and drums SHOCKED me as Cessaro never impressed me with its bass in Munich (bass in my home comes in distant second I hasten to add after 4 years of continued acoustic tweaking).

The Cessaro Zeta, with its latest design in deploying 2 bass units in its rectangular bass horn really transforms the system. Even violin sounds like violin. They played the notorious Michael Rabin Paganini violin concerto no.1 with flying colours (it was not like this on day one).

I have spent over one hour listening to the Cessaro for 3 consecutive days and at the end of today (Sat), I declare this is the best sounding room I have ever heard in any public hi-fi event - cross my heart and hope to die! 

So that's all folks for now as I'm flying off to the British Isles early in the morning. I may post some more pics later if time and mood permit. 

In closing, I'm very pleased I visited M. O. C. again. I was in Paris with my acoustic mentor and listened to live music for a few days before going to Munich, subconsciously, the bar is set very high when listening to the systems at M. O. C. and even more so after listening to Cessaro forst, that's why it is unfair to judge other lesser systems too critically unless there is something really wrong with the sound which I'll make a brief mentioning later. 

Gute Nacht

• 2024 M. O. C. High-end Impression - Epilogue

Welcome back, perhaps some of you are still eager to read what more I have to share about my experiences at this high-end show which ends today.

Kudos to those professional folks in some of the rooms especially those die-hard vinyl junkies who insisted on playing LPs only to visitors and needed to change one record to another from 9 to 6, this is highly appreciated by fellow vinyl junkie listeners. 

Now that I have left Germany and am sitting comfortably in Northern England, my favorable recollection of last few days in Munich still lingers on. 

I asked the waiter of this Italian restaurant to take a group photo on day 1 and found out he took a few more of himself for me to keep. 

Actually, I would urge those serious audiophiles to visit the 2025 show if you have never been there as it offers excellent opportunity to hear the speakers or systems of your dream. The main reason for this is you can listen to whatever fancies you for as long as you like without any pressure and then make direct or most likely, indirect comparison by listening against other comparable equipments, I'm certain you will encounter both  excitements as well as disappointments.

Take this real life case for instance, I bumped into a dealer from Down Under who imports the Wilsons and Advantgarde. After hearing the Cessaro Zeta for the first time, he and his entourage were absolutely "blown away" by the dynamic and life-like sound. Like me, they visited the showroom on 3 consecutive days. 

For those who have not heard many good speakers or systems before, they may be disappointed with the sound of their dream systems after visiting M. O. C. You may find both the Kharma and big Wilsons sound anemic and artifical (perhaps hi-fi for a more diplomatic description) after listening to my 4 preferred systems reported above. This experience will actually be excellent as your visit helps you focus on the product you like best.........

Below is a new (to me) pair of speakers which I find superior to Wilsons and the big JM Lab, they are good at both hi-fi and av reproduction with a sensivisity of 100 dB and built like a German Tiger tank! 

On the other extreme, Gobel launched a pair of tottlers, I think they were designed to challenge Wilsons Watts but the application of only one subs on either left or right side gives an overall unbalanced  sound. I get this aural experience at least once a week when I forget to turn on one of my two large subs. Some inexperienced audiophiles recommend placing single subs on the right side because in most modern orchestras, the cellos and double bass are positioned on the right hand side. For those who argue for the left side placement, the bass string of a left channel acoustic guitar will sound like a bass guitar and concert piano will be less transparent and has bass heavy tonality. I let you figure out the middle placement if you don't follow what I mean....

More pics to share...... The two systems below have overpowering bass leading to loss of clarity, coherence and musicality. 

The manufacturer invited a saxophonist to play with a piece of recorded music in order to impress the audience, however, the monotone bass from these speakers actually detracted listeners from enjoying a semi-live performance. 

The speakers above are for bass freaks in my opinion. 

There were also some unusual looking and exciting products on silent display..... 

I was led to believe this is a sun lamp for audiophiles to keep warm while listening. 

The above is for serious female audiophiles who owned lots of LVMH goods and want something more unusual! 

These very bulky speakers sound anything but impressive, perhaps unengaging is the appropriate description. 

Don't they look exciting, very very large triode and big and heavy chassis. I asked about the price and was told between $80k-100k a pair.

This is the biggest system in the show costing 1.2 million euros, not sure whether the person introducing these horns is a laddie or lassie, no further comments. 

Last but not least, the main takeaway from this 2024 M. O. C. show is to shop for the equipment(s) which sounded best to your ears, if you cannot afford them in most cases, go for the cheaper model as price won't come down. 

Most of the serious audiophiles at M. O. C. looked to me in their 50s and older, so I reckon in 20-25 years from now, some may not have proper hearing or in good health and some of the manufacturers will retire or not be around anymore. I saw a guy sitting in front of me in his 70s and occasionally, he put his hand on his left ear. Later, I noticed he removed his hearing aid to listen to the system for a short while b4 putting it back in. I cannot envisage what 2044 M. O. C. would be like. I hope I have another 10 years of normal hearing by way of daily exercise plus special massage treatment to my ears and kidneys. 

My next endeavor when returning to my hi-fi den later this month is to tweak my room as well as positioning of my horn system so that the sound will be more musical and can easily shake the floor on dynamic recordings without compression (hardness). 

Happy listening and hi-fi shopping. 

Mr Z (Zanden or perhaps Zeta one day!!!) 

• Sequel to M.O.C. visit...............

I attended the 2024 M.O.C. high-end show exactly a month ago and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The major take away from that event was the 4 systems I liked the most employed horn speakers (3 of those were unrealistically ginormous ones which won't fit in a normal domestic living room),  I was impressed by the uncompressed sound and the dynamics when music was played loud, you'll need a proper room plus effective acoustic tuning devise in order to achieve this aural sensation but unfortunately, sound in most rooms that I had visited,  in my impression/yardstick, were either mediocre/musically unengaging or outright bad ( latter meaning sound was hard, thin, compressed and/or over-dominant bass) . 

In case you do not know my listening bias or very seldom attend a classical concert ( I listen to live concert one every 6 weeks on average), live sound has very distinct tonality, it has very organic and rich mid-range, mid-and lower-mid bass and very airy highs, sadly, 90% of the rooms at M.O.C. lacked this natural characteristics - perhaps designers seldom listen to live unamplified music and hence haven't a faintest idea what is good sound, I could go on but it will become too offensive.....BUT I must go on, I have read on Facebook after M.O.C., manufactures claimed their room had one of the best sound (I had heard some of these rooms and they were in my opinion, one of the worst rooms. Also, some reviewers wrote certain rooms had the best sound in the show but in fact, they were really bad, very bassy, wrong tonality - I suspect these manufactuers spent a lot on their advert expenditure in these magazine (these are ugly but true facts).

Time to get back to what I really want to share, before embarking on my 4-week holiday in Europe, I returned my Zanden Model 3000 pre-amp back to the factory for a very well overdue upgrade as I have been using it for probably 18 years and felt some parts and components need replacements. After returning to H.K., I made a very short trip to Osaka to see/hear my upgraded amp and of course to meet Zanden's President/Designer Yamada-san and his very talented daughter Kanoko.

I spent literally a whole day (from 10:00-17:30 with a short lunch break) listening to Zanden's house system using my upgraded per-amp. We listened to CDs on that occasion, predictably, the tonality of the overall sound was 99% similar to my Zanden/Cessaro system, however, to my pleasant  surprise, vocals and tonality were better than my system. The main reason being Yamada-san was using his upgraded Zandan transport and DAC which utilised the technology from his almost-finished SEIKOH CD (transport/DAC combined) system, I was shocked to hear CD sound can reach vinyl standard or better described, "master tape", you can hear very deeply in the recorded music, it has quiet background, layer and layer of  "organic" details, the result is very engaging and papable sound.

After returning to H.K., I connected the upgraded pre-amp and led it run on for an hour before giving it a serious listen. I used CD as the source as my latest room acoustic was finely tweaked for digital playback - my CD source has greater dynamic swings and bass slam than my vinyl (I intend to replace the motor of my turntable in the near future). 

My immediate reaction was "wow", I could hear more of everything, it was very similar to what I heard at Zanden's den. Although tonality of the music was unchanged, the most obvious thing I noticed was I could hear every word of the singer, it had greater details (not feeling/emotion or harmonic decay), you could hear begining and end of each word he/she sang. Next was soundstage, it was wider and had better depth, there were  improvement in dynamic and bass resolution. To be fair, vocals were just not as good as what I heard in Osaka, the difference/reason was in the digital playback (CD transport and DAC). At Zanden's room, vocals were so real especially on opera, giving you illusion of the soprano singing in front of the listener. Anyway, since my system clearly exhibits better dynamic swings, I was overjoyed with excitiment by the overall in sound reproduction. In the end, I needed to tweak my room acoustic as well as speaker placement for a few days to achieve the ideal sound I want.

• Side view of my present system 
  • edited June 9
    Front view. Note the painstaking work I had made to the wall behind the horns as well as the wall behind me to diffuse DIRECT sound from the big horns. I also meticulously tweaked all other areas in my living abode, balcony, front door entrance area, all rooms, toilets, the long corridor, kitchen and maid's quarter. As a result, in my opinion, my system can wipe the floor with any big systems out there as the dynamics in my acoustically tweaked room simply sounds BIG ! 

• In closing, I'm able to improve the sound of my system after listening to the abovementioned 4 systems at this year's M.O.C., if I didn't go, I wouldn't be able to raise the bar of my hi-fi playback. Therefore, I strongly recommend fellow real hi-fi enthusiasts to attend hi-fi shows or go to visit fellow audiophiles' system especillay those which are superior to yours, afterwards, you have a good idea (only if you are the discerning type ! ) of what is lakcing in your system, then hopefully, you have the technique (but not necessarily the purchasing power) to make incremental improvement.

Happy listening,

Mr Zanden