Skip to content
Options

wavac audio pre-M

Comments

• Options
    I do not recommend the Petrus if one is not using high efficiency speaker. The Petrus has nothing to impress you. If you are looking for sweetness or some warmth, the Petrus will disappoint you. Many friends of mine here in Taipei matches Wavac with Avalon/Kharma with excellent result.

Ceramic drivers are hard beast to tame. I hate ceramic drivers. Don't mix up transparency with hardness. The ceramic driver most of the time has ringing problem at high frequency. No matter how good is the solid state preamp, the sound of transistor can always be heard from the ceramic driver. Tron will not be a good choice for you too because your ceramic mid range cannot handle the kind of dynamic from the Tron.

If you stick with your Avalon, tube is the way to go. I don't see anything wrong with wavac. If you want full range sound, go with wavac. If you are just happy with vocal, Kondo is good enough. I have compared extensively between the best/expensive tube preamps in Taipei match with all kind of speakers in the past 3 years. You can check with Marvel bro.
  • Options
    Jeff hing, Thank for your useful information. what speaker you using now?
    seem has to pay deposit first prevent long time waiting, almost two months!
  • Options
    I have a few pair of speakers. Before using the Neo same as Marvel bro, I had a pair of Alexandaria X2. I am now waiting for the ultimate speakers - Horning Eufrodite. If you are not interested in high efficiency camp yet, you should at least go and listen at AE. Everyone who heard the Horning Eufrodite cannot go back excluding Marvel bro. He once paid deposit for it but eventually let go because afraid of acoustic problems.
  • Options
    Jeff,

When you said you wouldn't recommend Petrus if not using high-efficiency speakers, I take that that you mean Petrus and associated Shindo poweramp, as Petrus is a pre-amp? I do agree if one likes the Shindo sound, one will end up with high-efficiency speakers as the flagship 300B Limited has only 8 watts. Wavac definitely provides more flexibilities in this regard.

Knowing studiogrey's setup, I think he should try to optimize his current setup instead of changing preamp. His system should be able to sound very respectable, though if he needs some tube magic, I can understand as well :-)

And about the Eufrodite, it's going to be hard for a lot of people because of the distance to front wall required. OTOH, let's see how the Cessaro horns turns out. I have a feeling the the Cessaro horn may give people a real alternative.
  • Options
    Matthew, what I mean is the Petrus with the WE300B amp.
  • Options
    Jeff,
    That's what I thought.

In either case, I think once studiogrey started the Wavac (or even Shindo ) route, he's going to flip out his MXR and avalon in no time :-)

I think we should welcome studiogrey brother to world of tubes.
  • Options
    I have make the order today.
    Thank again!
  • Options
    Studiogrey, you are now on the exotic route.
  • Options
    Studiogrey,

You will love Wavac and I can see your power amp going soon as well....a pair of 805 Wavac power amp would do the job nice.

Marvel
  • Options
    Wow, Wavac PR-T1 linestage is serious high end linestage. Are you going to match it with the Wavac805? Katongkid in Singapore seems very contend with the 805. The guy in Shanghai also just got a pair. I am tempted to try.
  • Options
    Julian, Now is hard to tell will change the MXR or not but really wanna keep it becasue MXR sound petty good, remember 發哥 have a pair also.
    發哥, any comment on the MXR?
    using the Flow for power cord?
  • Options
    I set up the PR-T1 in studiogrey's home this afternoon.
  • Options
    The PR-T1 replaces the Vitus SL100 as the soul of the system alongside AYRE MXR amplifiers driving the Avalon Eidolon Diamond.
  • Options
    The power supply of the PR-T1
  • Options
    初部聽感
    背景好靜本來vitus已經好靜,好似半夜3点的時候聽音樂
    wavac係3点時再関上窗,掩上窗簾.係好明顯的分別,但晤係死寂
    非常好的透明感劉芳女聲响起的時候,把聲好透明,未聽過蛋机出到尼種透明/高貴的音質.
    人聲唔係好甜,但有種難以講出的韻味,另你不忍心fast track,要等她唱完一首歌.呢份透明感最感動我.
    我覺得好奇怪,竟然感覺比我部vitus更原子粒,動態,音場,分離度都更好,唯一較vitus差一点点的係細節方面,vitus會再多啲弱音,detail嘢.
    小堤琴滑翻好多,之前唔係太喜觀之前把聲,有啲"叫" 鋼琴之前會好detail,宜家會musical啲.
    但最大差別係音樂感,wavac會另我好好享受音樂,這不要比較,因為想聽,你自然會坐下聽.我飯後已經坐咗2个小時,對我來說,幾難得.
    最後要講係wavac比我的感覺好怪,現在高級蛋前已經到此level.請記得我比較的是vitus SL100.佢已經係一部好好既前級.
    如果wavac平一半就係best buy