Skip to content

SIMPLE BIG MISTAKE

I have changed the orientation of my setup recently. in order to achieve better soundstage and depth. But Problems started to emerge, Soundstage is narrow and focus is blurred. My hi-fi friends visited me and they blamed faults in my gears, speakers. cables, floor......

I was really puzzled for many days and I could not figure out why. Many thanks to Linnman today and he solved my problem easily. He knows my setup well and he wondered if there is polarity/phase problems with my Rowland 302 amp...

After reverting the poles of my speaker cables.....the blue sky appears again....everything go back to normal.

So once again...don;t neglect some basic and technical aspects of hi-fi stuffs......It is so simple....but it coud be disasterious.

Comments

• Kan,

It is good that your problem (or part of your problem) has been resolved. From what I heard from Linnman, you are using some power filters/conditioners on the Heritage DAC, may I suggest you try to pull them out and see if there is any 'change'. Heritage has already got a very sophisticated mechanism to deal with the power supply and I believe adding more filter/conditioner in the power path would only pose compression on dynamic range and limitation on speed.

Please try and share with us.

Marvel

• Dear Mervel,

I'm using ExactPower for the main source of power supply. I could not say it's pefect....but it is not a power filter. It produce near perfect sinusoidal AC wave instead of distort one from the walls....without any coloration or compression....according to the spec from the manufacturor

I found tonight that some of the powercables might be having slight compression of the sounds.....I change to others and sounds are much improved now.

There is huge achievement for my setup in recent few days. Probably HI-Fi home visiting is valuable.....no matter the comment is good or not.

Cheers
  • Dear Kan,

Just been out of town for several days and didn't follow much on the development of your story until now....

Wow, some more changes after the visit of the big brothers...certainly you have explored more on your gears and various listening skills from them and Linnman. I dare not to invite those big brothers to come nowadays as the amount of $$ I put in is on par, if not more, with yours and I am sure I am still way behind you according to those metrics...no need to waste time on both sides.

I will be on trip again this week but hopefully I could come and visit you next week or so to share some tears and joy.

Marvel