Skip to content
Options

IKEDA 9TT cartridge

2»

Comments

• Options
    Raymond, Voy,

I have been setting the Calysto to full gain while the Opus in low since Day 1 when I move into m new place.... The energy balance is rightly spot on to better fill the spac of m listening area until recently I changed to use Ikeda and Trinity which in particular I can set different mpedance in the Trinity in order to adjust the overall energy span across the soundstage... I am still experimenting on different settings...on one hand, if I set the Calysto to 26db instead of full gain, I can seemingly yield better finesse and inner details but the dynamite factor on symphonies drops. I do not worry too much about reaching or ven going beyond the limit where the Tidal speakers can handle as I am not always rocking my system n neighbors
  • Options
    When Agoria arrives, am certain that I will put Calysto on full output gain....
  • Options
    Marvel,

Impedance adjustment has little to do with energy. It matters more to the contour of the imaging. At the normal (high) gain setting of AD amp, I recommend you must have correspondng acoustics solution to address more reflective energy from the wall (potentially and likely).
  • Options
    Raymond,

You are correct...I have trial and error for the past 2 weeks and now I am resting on 'Full gain' on AD, 'low gain' on OPus and 20ohm on Trinity. Some times earlier, I had set Opus to High gain, AD to 26db but find my other sources (Neodio, Zanden+DV) lack of the flare and energy, so I waited for the Trinity to come but yet the energy level was not the same as what I heard in AE1, so I changed to Ikeda but still with the AD set to 26db. When master Chik came to set the Ikeda for me, he quietly changed the output in AD to Full without letting me know. The result was great on Neodio and Trinity. But one night when I listened to OPus, I found the energy level was too high even at 10o'clock, so I changed the output gain in the Opus to low...Now, I believe I am in the correct setting and this has been verified with PT this morning as well...thanks for throwing this topic out yesterday which happened very timely with my 'double faults'...

Marvel
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I also told Danny So to adjust the gain of the Da Vinci Nify preamp upward on Sunday. He felt as though waken up from a dream after doing the gain adjustment.

Ironically, when he visited AE1 last evening, he immediately spotted the gain of the amp driving the subwoofer was not right. Ah....he was spot on... as the loudness of the T-1 subwoofer inside Tidal LPX crossover was set to -1db when the Jones amplifiers were used to drive the subwoofer. When the Tidal Impulse amplifier arrived, I had not re-adjusted the gain inside the LPX. When the gain was normalized, I felt as though waken up from a dream as well.

I have to say 植師父 is truly an very experienced man in audio principally adopting a hollistic approach. You just have to stay with him long enough to understand the depth of his skill sets. I am serious and I don't compliment people easily. He was in discussion with me about the "gain" at various stages of the amplification chain for over a month. He told me all of my customers do not understand the concept of gain and as a result, has never dealt with it properly in spite of the presence of the gain switch.I have learnt a great dealt about the concept of gain through him.

After adequate understanding of the gain concept, I started calling Danny, Cassph, Raymond, and many others......