Skip to content

SInging in Unison

The Da Vinci Unison finally arrived today.

Comments

• The magnetic bearing
  • The Grandezza Reference arm "drops" into the hole of the armbase directly
  • Using the "spirit" to level the Unison
  • The Da Vinci Grandezza Reference arm is still one of my favorites amongst Schroder Reference SQ and Thales
  • The only difficulty of us facing the installation is locking the tonearm into the armbase. Our resident expert is very patient and experienced. We were on the wrong path for an hour until we call Peter. Now, it is much easier with graphical CAD illustrations. These illustrations were drawn immediately in switzerland right after knowing our problems. We received it within 10 minutes - very efficient - the AE attitude.
  • The motor control block which also houses the power supply. I definitely need either a FLOW or FMR (most likely) for it. As Ptsang said, "FMR shines on everything that spins!" Mr.Zanden is also using FMR on the Kuzma with very good result if my memory is right. Right now, I am still using my long term reference "Level One".
  • Yesterday was a bloodbath in global financial market. It looked all too familiar to me. I was in meeting all day long until I got a chance to "snake" at 4:45pm. I called up Mr.Chik (our analog expert) urgently to see if he can assist in setting up the Unison. Then, I also need the transportation man to unpack everything and move the old turntable away before I can proceed moving the Unison up. But after the public holidays, the traffic was jam and the transportation logistics were slower than usual.

As a result, I apologize for not calling Mr.DV and Alecy on the spot as they are very keen to see the birth of it. All I can assure you guys is a musical experience at a higher level when you visit me shortly. You don't need to ABAB compare old and new. The music speaks for itself.

A bigger reason of not inviting you guys earlier is because the mid-range driver was absent from the system for a little checkup. But the funny part is Mr.Chik could not detect it just like everyone else. When I told him the mid range of one channel wasn't there. He opened his mouth wide open and did not believe. Then, he put his ears on the horn mouth - no sound!

It was not until 930pm when then mid range was back in Action. Jlam was already waiting impatiently but..... to be finished....
  • The Unison look like a very good deal! use same material/concept like AAS, the sound stage must be full energy & very stable with the heavy pattern floating up by magnetical bearings. So, the mid-range mix? I m more interest to know how is the details & dynamic with the horning.

* ASI ic in my office, pick up when u free.
  • In the past 12 months, I have tried various means and tons of money to utilize the full potential of the "食沙佬". My father challenges me, perhaps a million times, that the standard is far away from the resident/research DV system in another location. The arrival of the Unison lights up my passion and triggers me to use this "secret weapon" that is originally aimed at poisoning Charles or DSo later. But I decide to use myself. I understand I cannot change physics but the acoustics in another space is less than ideal as well. This is really not an excuse, I said to myself. I really wish I can achieve the standard that I am looking for this time.
  • Damn what may!
  • What the hack is this?
  • The box is not big. It can't be power amp. Change of source unlikely as that means changing taste. At the level of PT, he should know cable won't fix fundamental issues. So.... what is it? Why the poison points to Dso and Charles specifically? This could be a big hint.
  • I guess it may be something to do with an ultimate acoustics treatment. See PT's last sentence:

"I understand I cannot change physics but the acoustics in another space is less than ideal as well. This is really not an excuse, I said to myself. I really wish I can achieve the standard that I am looking for this time"

Marvel
  • The familiar gold platter from the flagship AAS Gabriel.....