Skip to content

Skogrand flagship USB cable - Beethoven

I will write a comprehensive report of it based on its application to the trinity DAC with optical module.

Comments

• A very understated and ordinary outlook.
  • I was too eager to listen. I went home during lunch time to hook it up.
  • The aesthetic is really too underrated for a retail price of USD11,000. I believe it is the most expensive USB cable after Siltech's Golden Universal double crown which was trashed into pieces by Vetere HB. I trust you will report true result after knowing you for many years.
  • PT,

Yes please do a good job. I miss your in-depth writeup.
  • I was in constant awe last evening. Please wait for my formal testing report. I am using tailor made burn in protocol software to speed up the burn in process.
  • Jeff

Probably Because of your comment, Skogrand emailed me overnight to send me this picture. Knut wanted to reduce the weight of the cable. That was why he did not put in the sleeve. It is not easy to apply the silk coat to the cable according to him. Anyway, this is the Beethoven USB that will be sold as final product.
  • Why were you in constant awe?
  • I am looking forward to quality writeup as well. I don't mind you being the seller as your credentials are credible and proven for many years. It will be however difficult for people who have never visited AE or your home before. They don't know the basis of standard and hence has no reference to what you write. But we do know. So please be yourself and just write like the past.
  • edited January 2016
    To those who had neither visited AE nor my home may have difficulties comprehending what I am writing below. That is normal. The test of the Beethoven USB cable was done via the distortion free Trinity suite (PC, DAC, Preamp and Stereo amp) running full balance operation sitting atop SRA’s craze rack 3 with Virginia board underneath the amp. The entire system is grounded to Tripoint Troy signature (special version with THOR power cable) with ground wires at the level of THOR SE, Dalby Pearl/Celestial. The trinity DAC is further equipped with OPTICAL ISOLATION MODULE so that noises from the PC could not transmit to the DAC. The Cessaro Brhams’ sensitivity is 100db. The RACH sub is connected to the Trinity preamp by Vetere Pulse R. Interconnect from the DAC to the Preamp is Vetere HB XLR. Skogrand Beethoven serves the position from preamp to power amp. Speaker cables are Beethoven again. . The preamp and power amp are respectively connected to Dalby Ode conditioner before going into JMF PCD302. There is a Linebacker XE by Pranawire serving the PC position. All power cables are either Dalby/Vetere HB or Beethoven.

At maximum volume of the trinity preamp, I could not hear anything if I put my ears at the mouth of the horn, not even hiss noises or any current noises. The Skogrand USB Beethoven cable is applied in the position AFTER the optical isolation going into the USB input of the Trinity DAC. This review is written after 48 hours of non-stop burn in by special burn in software.
  • edited January 2016
    The Beethoven USB cable tells stories in my reference system. Narrative capability of it is stunning. Other than the main thesis, subplot matters tremendously too. In many cases, it is the character of the actors in the subplot that helps defining the central thesis of the drama. When this is reciprocated in the musical performance scene, the character of, say, the guitarist at the back of the stage has become much more instrumentally constructive, to complement the lead vocal. (Before the Beethoven, the supporting role was “resolution”. They exist with a very clear image. Character is not apparent.)

Why does that matter? The whole listening experience changes. Because I know how the supporting character communicates with the main musician to bring the musical intent out. For instance, Holy Cole’s TEMPTATION recording (24/192 version), the Temptation track, for the very first time, I could hear the character of the background vocal and her musical relation to the lead vocal. Put it this way, the means of producing the musical intent, from my listening perspective has changed. From the end perspective, the musical intent is the same but the means of conveying it to my senses has changed for a soulful one.

I hope you guys follow me. Now try to imagine – there are many subplots within a symphonic score (from a group perspective of strings/wind/brass) and a big jazz band. Now imagine the character of group/individuals behind these subplots jumps out. The resultant experience is an unprecedented level of vibrancy. The musical intention “radiates" to you with energy encapsulating you in a virtual space. Vividness has a new meaning.

I dare say replay of any good choir recording would shock anyone immediately. Choir is always divided into a few groups with different tasks. And they have different character too. Not only does the harmonious integration of voices chill my spine, the oceanical coherence amongst tonal colors from numerous voices right away all wrongs. The resultant clarity of my mind mirrors the transparency of the virtual musical stage in front of me.

This is what the Beethoven USB can do in my reference system. I am not sure if it performs up to what I described in yours. Every small item counts at the extreme level. And review of one component often amplifies the merits of the item being reviewed. I sincerely ask those who are reading this to take a thorough look at the infrastructure of this reference system (cost no object assaults on all type of noises). If I simply disconnect one Dalby/Tripoint ground wire, result completely changes for the detriment. And the attention automatically switches from the previous item to the latest item.

I recommend people who are interested to come audition my reference system during CNY holiday period.
  • edited January 2016
    When I was listening to Glenn Gould's famous Bach Goldberg Variation, the polyphonic texture (two or more different melodic lines developing at the same time) of the music captivated me in awe. I had been focusing on one melodic line all along. The 2nd melody was there in a highly resolute manner but the character was eclipsed by the main melodic theme. My focus was thus drawn to either the right hand or the left hand. Now, I am drawn by two concurrent melodic theme played by two hands at different tempo. This is really amazing.

Then I moved on to Janos Starker. The intensity of each note is very focus. Elasticity of the strings can easily be felt vividly. The resonance inside the cello body is so organically transparent against a acoustic venue filled with reverberating ambience engulfing me (passing my head). The beethoven USB allows me to tell there was very little shifting noise from his left hand resulting in purity of tones. It is such an exciting experience to listen him playing Kodaly.
  • edited January 2016
    The high resolution album of Eric Clapton's Slow Hand is very well done. The replay of "Lay Down Sally" is awesome. It charges up the atmosphere of my small room as though the whole band is playing in front of me. But that is not the most amazing part. The spooky part are those supporting vocals singing so happily together with Eric Clapton. And I could feel the whole band actually changed mood a few times as the drummer was getting more and more excited. To compare, I could bring the whole band inside my home too before the Beethoven. Everything was resolute there, nothing was missed, speed was fast, transients were sharp, and tonal color was great. But what were missing in comparison to what I am listening now is the mood/sentiment or the character of all the supporting roles. And that really changes the listening experience to another planet.

And that brings me back to Glenn Gould's bach recording again. The left hand and right hand change role constantly a few times, maybe. Sometimes, the left hand plays the lead role. Some other times, right hands plays the supporting role. Or sometimes, both hands play the lead role. I can experience all the character change now.

This is the biggest reward I have from this Beethoven USB cable.
  • That is good! That is what I want to read! It is no longer an issue of manipulating tonal balance for the sake of drawing attention anymore. I understand what your ears are comprehending.
  • edited January 2016
    "And the three men like mine most, the father son, and holy ghost, they take the last train for the coast, the day when music died......." This are the lyrics towards the end of the famous "American Pie" by Don McClean. And for the very first time, in spite of the presence of super accessories before the Beethoven USB in this system, I could hear the emotion of the pianist complementing the lyrics. That touch me big time.

This is attributed to the supreme accuracy of the immense power of the Trinity suite in partnership with the Beethoven USB in ensuring the correct tempo of all musical objects in motion.

This is a masterpiece, period.
  • 請問何時可以安排體驗一下?