Skip to content
Options

Greatest War of Amplifiers in September

124»

Comments

• Options
    WChow, Raymond,

It is not easy for me to describe in words but my feeling when I was listening to this amp powering the Cessaro using the Tron Syren preamp was that if blind folded, I cannot tell if I am listening to a tube power amp or a SS power amp. To make things more confusing (not contradicting), it is like a tube version of Tidal. I guess the best way is for someone like Alecy should visit PT and uses his poemtic writing to articulate what he feels.

Raymond, I think it is time for you to pay a visit to PT's system given your wide experience on Tidal, DV, Wavac and many others. I asked PT to move the amp to his Tidal system, he said he will definitely do so when the isolation feet are ready from Robert Koda. In the meantime, it is just rest on a pile of Next Magazine.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel bro, thanks for the heads up report. It helps a lot. Can it drive the Algame? You listened to the 833 driving the Algame and was very impressed from one of your visits to Charles' system awhile back.

What's the deal with Takumi driving Algame? Are you confident?
  • Options
    Voy,
    I believe it can drive Algame very well....PT will use it to pair with the Tidal Sunray, after that I can it would be more than certain that it would mate well with Algame....my bet is 'Yes, it will'.

Marvel
  • Options
    marvel, still hard for me to digest. How does it compare to 833? What about the Skyline?
  • Options
    DSo will test the Skyline Preamp (versus his Wavac PR-T1) today.
  • Options
    The Super Amplifier "SATI" by our beloved Tommy Horning.
  • Options
    The transformers are made by "nano-crystalline". This is the massive power supply in dual mono configuration to support the power tubes.
  • Options
    The "backside" of the "SATI". The War of Amplifier is going to be very exciting with more challengers.
  • Options
    What a World War of Amplifier......
  • Options
    This Sati amp is build around the newly designed transformer based volume control. This design surpasses all other circuit of similar design. It has huge band-width extending from 2 hz to 100000 hz. Yet the impedance remains constant regardless of the power loading from the tube from zero to the highest output. Because of this supreme linearity, the sound will always remain linear, balanced and control regardless of the volume level.

The heart of the volume control is made by extremely high permeable nano-crystaline core based transformer. It has super fast rise time and decay. The extreme low bass performance (such as organ) can be faultlessly revealed with ease due to highest available induction from the windings of the nano-crystalline core of the super transformers. The output transformer is developed from the same technology as the volume control with nano-crystalline core, surpassing any other transformer design whether it is made by EI, double C, and Nickel Brick etc.

Another great design is that the heart of the supply. We use choke input that is free from distortion made by silicon rectifier and transistor based regulated heater supply. Likewise, the power supply to the anode is also done by choke input for the highest fidelity. This is a costly design but it matters because this section will affect the timbre of musical instrument and vocals.

The choice of a stereo configuration based design surpasses mono amp design in terms of holo-graphical presentation of the sound because the unit shares the same power source. There will be no swing of power supply in real time. It has TRUE timing of rhythm.

The total lack of transistors in the design is a guarantee for non-glaring sound. The darker side of the timbre of music can be revealed in the most natural contrast. The SATI 520 sigma is on the edge of what is possible in the design of a tube amplifier design in the category of “State of the Art.”
  • Options
    PT, are you free tomorrow afternoon? Is the Takumi ripe for audition? It dosen't matter there are no SRA underneath. You are just using a one box Zanden CDP. We use the same cables. If it is good, then it is good. My experience should be enough to tell whether I should throw what amp out of the window. I have no emotional attachment to any brand like many others here who seem to be some sort of hard core fans.
  • Options
    Uncle Ray, do throw any amp out of the window before giving me a call? I have many choices now. The Horning SATI looks very interesting. I know Tommy always does extreme audio. Have you already scheduled to meet Mr.Takumi?
  • Options
    Choke input anode rectification and transformer based volume control, all Western Electric stuff,I think Mr Horning is the first designer to do it in a modern fashion, no doubt, a promising product.Oh, when does Mr Horning start to design PP amps, I thought SE was his fav.
  • Options
    I have re-read our tube guru - Peter Tsang's description of the SATI Ultimate. It is serious stuff for sure. All Western electric philosophy implemented in a modern fashion.

If VR is happy, it can't be bad as this guy is extremely critical. A friend of mine in Europe is using the SATI ULTIMATE driving the Eufro and here is what he wrote to me (after I VR's passionate question to Charles, I started asking around for references), and here is what they told me about the new SATI Ultimate:

"In the first hour of operation, the Sati provides a powerful and 3D performance that in an extraordinarily musical manner. Very few amplifiers are capable of reproducing the most subtle transient responses like the SATI. The dynamic attack is fast and palpable. The range is wide and all timbres/textures/spatial cues are presented with ease on whatever recordings that plays through it. It is too good to be true for the price."