Skip to content

From Ideal to Reality

Time surely flies. When I planned to start Audio Exotics Hong Kong few years ago, I was asked by PT what my ambition was - was it to make a lot of money? My answer was that my aspirations were (and still are) to be a successful Hi-End Audio System developer. Then came the follow up question: "How are you going to achieve it?" My answer was simple: in order to be a successful Audio System developer, I had to start by being good and successful in what I was doing, i.e. a good and successful Audio system evaluator. This would involve using my utmost efforts in doing whatever system I need to listen to, whether it's a big expensive system or a small button like window acoustic stickers, whether the client was an affluent or whether he's just a taxi driver.
Judging from the outcome of 2008, we can say we have achieved a successful year by any standard. There have also been many changes in the industry, including new faces, challenging new manufacturers and, most important of all, a new group of clients with advanced approaches to achieve may be the same goal as I set and new mode of audio business operation from competitors. To me, that's in fact the old approach and mode of operation, albeit in a new setting. That's how AE was like in the early 2004. Most importantly, we did not treat each designer of AE products as almighty gurus. We did our own research (with the limited time and human resources at that time) and drafting of speaker’s position, including affirmations in support of complicated and innovative applications. We took up brand which we had never heard before and even system which very few people in the world had experience. With a lot of hard work, devotion and conviction, we emerged at least as mini-experts through constant drilling and grilling.
For those of you who are relatively new to the AE circle, chances are that you have not handled most of your system. Your first reaction might be - I don't know how to handle it because I haven't done this before. If so, discard such thought immediately. Have faith and confidence in yourself. Tell yourself that whatever system it may be, you'll have the ability to deal with it. Such confidence must of course be supported by concrete action. You must undergo very thorough analyses and research of all the factual and audio issues until you're satisfied that you are able to answer any question on your own system. Then you may discuss with those who are more experienced and see whether your own findings agree with their views. At the beginning, you may miss out a point or two, but by such process you'll acquire a lot of skill and knowledge.
For those of you with more experience, let your experience be an asset, and not an obstacle to your further advancement. Keep an open mind and be ready for changes, for improvement can only come along with changes. Without changes, there cannot be any improvement. Therefore, review you system all the time - is there still better sound? Chances are there is.
There is nothing more rewarding than seeing each of you develop and excel as a PRO AUDIOPHILE. I hope you'll all take pride in your system and in being a member of Audio Exotics Hong Kong, and carry on with the real music.

Comments

• J,

As a long time supporter and companion of PT, yourself and AE, I am glad to be the first to echo who you said above. This is certainly a big momentum and mass that you and PT have created in the AE community....I do remember mentioning many times in the past that buying the exotic stuff from AE (or previously ACB) has no recognition by the community and people always talked behind myself that I was crazy to buy those unpopular brands with low / no 2nd hand value. In the past few years, I believe such thought just turn the other way round and I am glad that I focus my resource (both time and $$) on the exotic stuff from AE and more importantly follow the advice of PT and other fellow members of AE....

Once again, I wish every success of AE and continuous launch of thoughtful ideas and exotic stuff....

Marvel
  • Which product made me "speechless" (meaning out of normal comprehension) all through the years include the following (not an easy choice given the lists of exotic stuff rolling in all thru the years)

1. 1st generation SMR in late 2003/early 2004
    2. The first note coming from the whole Da Vinci System
    3. SRA Ohio XL+2 amp plaform
    4. Horning Algame
    5. FMR ic/spk cable
    6. ????? just experienced last night

The context of "speechless" means the very very 1st impresion normally consists of a few yours without doing corresponding fine-tuning on other system parameters.

The names on the above lists do not change even after learning them a long period of time. All of them are my own experiences within my own system with the exception of Horning Algame.

The Vekian is almost on the list but I want to be stricter. Great stuff like Tidal, because it is not easy to integrate into my own system and hence the speechless experience was not too apparent but again that is my own judgment within the constraint of my limited physical space and substandard acoustics.

For Zanden and Wavac, I can never match the performance of Mr.Zanden and Charles/DSo, and that's why they are not all my own "speechless" lists.

PT
  • ????? 極級毒品????
  • His message is lethal as I agree very much those on his list are truly exceptional stuff.
  • What the hell is ?????????
  • New amplifier? Surprisingly, the the list does not contain any amp or preamp. I guess it must be some kind of amp...
  • Come on, no more such tricks!
  • Brother Charles must know something about ?????
  • Voy, u still there waiting? u need some snack?
  • Still nothing from PT today?!!?? Don't play this trick too long!
  • 點解仲未有料到?
  • We are bored. Give us some new excitment asap!
  • Why don't I just buy one without knowing what is it? Please contact me by email. Just open the damn pandora box!
  • The TROY by Tripoint
  • 60 pounds in total with solid brass feet underneath with spike plate provided. The real wood chassis is polished with a few layers of lacquered. What for?