Skip to content

Mounting the Clouds

Hope to receive them today

Comments

• Just want to know is it 4'x4' per piece, is it washable, does it need to drill holes in the ceiling to hold the Cloud. How to determine how many is required or the optimum no. of clouds in a given room. My place is under renovation, is this a good time to install and most importantly, what's the change in room accoustics after installing the cloud.
  • Holes are required to drill in the ceiling (4 holes). No one knows as we have not received them yet. Charles and Marvel will be mounting them first.
  • Here is the mounting instruction for Clouds.

1) Put some clean cloth on the floor, or make sure, that the floor is
    really clean.
    Put Acoustic Material of Cloud above. Assemble the frame from 16 mm and 30 mm tubes. It is quite obviously how to do that. Put the frame on the Acoustic material, so that the holes in caps will be on the top ! Check that 16 mm tubes are completely fit in the hole. Measure the distance between holes. It should be more or less equal (about 1meter). If not, check the tubes again.

2) Now make a loop from acoustic material. The loop should be as tight as possible. It is better to start to connect parts in the middle.
    Hook-and-loop fastener is perfect for that. Check, that all sides are
    parallel and the connection is perfect.

3) Now you should take the alien key and carefully start to tight the
    acoustic material. Do it at first from one side. If you see the end of the 16mm tube through the 4mm hole of the cap, then it is enough. Goto to another side. Do not over-tighten.

Normally you should be able to see the end of 16mm tube somewhere in the middle of 4mm hole of the cap.

4) Attach 4 strings to the caps.

5) Now the Cloud is ready to be hang. Drill 4 holes with 4mm diameter
    in the ceiling and attach small caps there. The center of the line between tweeter and listener position should be close to the center of Cloud as well. The distance between holes is 1000 x 1020.
    The best way to measure the position of 4 holes is to use a template.
    I have cut a piece of thin plywood with this dimensions.

6) Now you will need somebody, who can help you.
    One person should carefully take cloud placing hand somewhere in the middle of 16mm tube and bring it close to the caps on the ceiling,
    Another person should attach the strings to the ceiling caps.

Beleive me. Everything is much easier, as in this instruction.
    Up to now all my customers were able to hang the clouds without my
    help.
  • I and Charles were trying to figure out how to assemble the clouds last night
  • Charles is much smarter than me. I was very slow
  • Unwrapping the cloud
  • Ready to mount but we had to wait for Wai
  • It took 15 minutes to measure the holes to be drilled on the ceiling.
  • Ok.... almost there.....
  • This room is very calm. Noise level very low approaching the silence felt in Mr.Zanden's home. The magic of Franck's resonators in combination with the conventional diffusor at the back and the cloud on the ceiling made me feel, for the 1st time in this place, a feeling of sitting in the mid-row of a concert hall when the Bergmann was spinning Beethoven's Pastoral symphony under the baton of Karajan.

The cloud improves many attributes. I will leave it to Charles to share with us.
  • Charles, how does the cloud do to the sound?