Skip to content
Options

Argento EE Speaker Cables

Comments

• Options
    Marvel,

I can't deal with too many dimensions. Are you saying that you hear more tonal color from Cessaro with your EE digital although I2S still sounds more accurate due to the benefits of the superclock?

• Options
    Hi guys,
    I'm trying the EE interconnect now, how long does it take for a brend new EE ic to stablise, the gain voltage in my Zanden is too low to quickly run-in the EE, I have to switch it to the pre-power connection, better, looks will take some time to sound its best. My EE spk cables sound very good almost instantly.
    One humble word, let's do this, discussion or debate or whatever in a more peaceful manner, I respect you all, I'm a late-comer to this family while you all have the luxury to enjoy the EE cables much earlier than me, so I really need direction/advice and your experience is valuable to me.
  • Options
    Alecy, yes but the I2S is surprisingly good as an optical link.

PTsang, for those who have met / known you, you are certainly in the class of super veteran with wealth of experience on tubes, gears and music. We shall wait for your impression onthe EE interconnect. The RCA connectors do require some time to run in as I recall.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel,

Are you using I2S for any other toys of yours?

• Options
    The EE brenda will sound good instantly out of the box in my memory. You was shocked by the EE spk cable, I guess initially you might feel the incremental benefit is not as crazy as the EE spk cable. I did it the other way round. The EE brenda joined my system first and the shock was similar to you, then I moved on to the EE spk cable. They are very good but the shock factor not as large compared to the EE brenda.

But later on, when you take the EE brenda all, everything is gone. Remember EE is not a cable to shock you by emphasizing certain frequency range. The sound is extremely pure but not too whitish as you said. Remember I use solid state.
  • Options

I m feeling regret not to order EE ic together(ptsang, how come u so smart!). Speed/Dynamic/Detail, all of them on top of d the SMR-se. sound told everything!!!
  • Options
    Raymond,
    The EE ic is now in my system for almost a week,yes, it doesn't sound white or grey, its more colorful than the EE spk cables(in the area of tone color so to speak) which is extremely neutral, clean , smooth and involving. The replacement of the EE ic in my system(originally its a pair of Shindo silver ic ) brings a little bit excitement in the sound, brass and sax sound more romantic, I like it. Marvel bro loaned me his EE digital cable. I have a brief time with both the EE and I2S in Marvel's place the other day, the I2S is thinner(a narrow margin) comapred to EE, the difference is there, but not dramatic. I'll try it in the next few days when I'm sure I don't need to tweak with my system any more with the insertion of the EE ic.

Mr dv,
    After all these years, I've been losing faith in cables, I have tried so many including those manufacturers such as FIM, David Elrod who do not have a distributor in Hong Kong. Not until after having the EE spk cables, then I realise I'm so ignorant that cable-making technology has now advanced to a level well beyond my expectation. I don't know if other cable manufacturers have similar achievements in their products, what I know is if Argento can make the EE shine, they can make other cables shine, even brighter because spk cable is the most important cable linkage in a system and also most difficult for a designer to make it sound right.
  • Options
    ptsang,

Every time i see you, i ve learn lot of things, you always have the right comment on the sound and i believe your 24k golden ear & taste was train by your rich experience. I ve no relationship with AE, except i found my name on their VIP list. But you sure not listen the New DV LCR phono before planning the Rack?
  • Options
    The EE ic takes almost a hundred hours to completely burn-in, I don't think its due to the cable itself, its the heavy duty Brenda connectors that matters. I have also tried the EE digital cable v.s the I2S in my system, the EE digital does not have a significant edge over the I2S, it has a warmer, slower sound, but what really bothers me is the mid bass, cello has a much longer voice, I can't distinguish clearly the sound of the double bass and the bass drum in Take Five suggesting the mid bass is overly damped, in fact the EE power cable I tried has similar problems. This problem does not appear in the EE ic and spk cables, can anybody or the Argento people has any explanation on this.
    To further verify what I have not heard wrong, I throw back the Shindo ic connecting the pre and power, the EE ic connected from the Zanden combo to the preamp using the I2S as the digital link, I don't need to further describe the sound, I guss you all know the answer, another pair of EE ic is almost a must.
  • Options
    Does the new version EE (SC & IC) sound different with the Old version?

From my short listening on Old version, i felt the new EE sound more smooth & refine, specially on violin, but the old version has better feel on the keyboard. I recommend should feed Heritage with xlr, use rca will lost some gain & dynamic.

Charles, Are u still using rca?
  • Options
    DV

你試過 xlr 和 rca 的比較?
    我未用過 xlr 呀.

Charles
  • Options
    This depends on the design of the amp/preamp/dac. There is no clear answer.
  • Options
    This not shoot out of EE(RCA) vs SMRse(XLR). But Heritage should connect with XLR, RCA sound like an additional choice.

U got G7?
  • Options
    Mr.DV and Charles,

I tried both RCA and XLR before on Heritage and at the end I decided to use XLR because I had Zanden DAC sitting side by side at that time and subconciously I want to create a different sounding perspective between Heritage and Zanden. When I used XLR, the macro picture was depicted in fuller body than RCA by a slight margin. Heritage is a truly balanced designed DAC although it doesn't necessarily mean we have to use XLR interconnect in order to fully benefit from the design. I would counter argue if your preamp is a fully balanced one, then using a XLR pair from Heritage into the preamp would be a much stronger couple. Charles, PRT1 accepts XLR input but I wonder if it is a truly balanced design.

I have both SMR EE RCA old version (Brenda connector with the shell) and the new version (without the shell). I have not AB compared them but frankly at this level, the difference should be very marginal and could be dependent on a wide variety of factors such as room acoustics, matching with the overall performance of the system, etc.

Marvel
  • Options
    I have just ordered another pair of EE ic with xlr connectors for my Shindo preamp. I'm still thinking about the sound of the discontinued EE power cable, if the Argento people could upgrade the EE power cable applying the recent techniques used to make the EE ic and spk cables, I would like to hear it as soon as it is available.