Skip to content
Options

PTsang, welcome to the Cessaro Club!

PTsang,

Your decision is quick and precise. According to PT, you were poisoned immediately after 2.5 hrs of auditioning the Alpha One. Today, you bite the bullet. What a brave soul!

JLam

Comments

• Options
    So much had happened after not reading this forum for a few days. Is there any beta horn in HK?
  • Options
    Well done & Goood move! The tone colour of the wooden horn is beautiful. use with Kondo or Shindo amp?

By the way, does Alpha one has the active woofer version?
  • Options
    There will be a version with external crossover by the end fo this year.
  • Options
    Jlam, any info about the ext crossover version, if it can be bi-wired, don't tell me cos I can't afford 2 pairs of the EE, I've already bit the atomic bomb, what else I should bite.Anyway, without you AE guys, life is really miserable in my retired days.
  • Options
    Peter,

No problem la. Just make sure you order the Ohio for the external cross-over as well :-)
  • Options
    Matt, the EE spk cables are insanely expensive, but I know the Alpha 1 won't sound that good without it.
    PT, please tell me I'm wrong so that I can spend the money elsewhere.
  • Options
    Ptsang, I have lately compared the EE spk cables with Nordost Odin and SIltech Emperor Crown. The EE is the cheapest amongst this group and sounds most correct to my ears. The other two spk cabls are great too but not my cup of tea and I am sure they will peform mind boggling experience in other system but mine is unforgiving type. Mind you this is very subjective. I am always looking for neutral and natural tonality.

J, thank you the 805mk2 are back in great condition. I can easily tell the amp has went through quite a lot of exercise.
  • Options
    PTsang,

Would this be too "wild" for your upcoming Alpha One?
  • Options
    Raymond, natural is my cup of tea, according to the short listening time in PT's place, the EE served the Alpha 1 extremely well in terms of natural presentation of music. Neutral is pretty vague to me, everyone has certain preference in one's musical taste, the EE+Alpha 1 suits my taste right and that's why I ordered them both as a package, so I think it's more easier for me to voice the spks when they arrive.
    J,yes, its too wild for me, awkward me wife said.
  • Options
    J, forgot to mention, the Tidal I heard is not lean rather sweet, open and able to project a round-bodied image with super controlling ability, in the SS world, it is not a small achievement.
  • Options
    Ptsang, Ralph will send in m ore samples next week for you to choose. You are indeed very experienced. The Tidal is state of the art.
  • Options
    J,thanks.
    Yesterday when I was reading the AE forum about the Tidal, something suddenly jumped into my head. The Alpha 1 (the 16" bass unit) in PT's place is so well controlled that I thought its being tamed by the tuning techiques of PT as I've been to his place before which was far from satisfied. I have never thought of the controlling power of the preamp that could be the trick of all of it ( I have never heard the Tidal before). Can PT please tell us how's the sound of the Cessaro using another preamp.
  • Options
    Ptsang, let's give some credit to PT as I eye witness him doing a lot on room acoustics for me. I have heard the Cessaro with your preamp. Let me cut it short. The best preamp I have ever heard purely from music sense (it means either right or wrong based on my actual understanding of the actual music composition: tempo, tonality of the steinway piano which I am very familiar with except those made during World War I) is the Tidal, followed by your preamp. The Tidal has unprecedented transparency and control ability while yours can reproduce the calmness of music like no others: Dynamics arise out of calmness and then fade back to serenity in a disappearing act. For the tidal, no notes are missed during crescendo. It seems there is a feeling of plot after plot even at the peak of a crescendo. Tonality of the brass never mises up the tonality with the string even at high volume with complicated passages.
  • Options
    J and PT, from what I've heard the other day, I would say the sound improvement in PT's place is dramatic between my 2 visits, not that because the equipments are different, its the room accoustics that really matters, so if someone or something deserves a credit, I would say its PT's tuning expertice more than that of the equipments. Appreciate your rightful analysis on the 2 preamp, one more point I would like to add about the Tidal, I don't feel there is any "rubbish time" hanging around when I listen to the Tidal which is so often found in listening to transistor-based designs. I certainly would give it a try in my place when the time is right. You did mention about it several times before but I didn't bother because its a transistor amp, stubborn me...
  • Options
    The Tidal Preos is serious stuff for serious guys. In the wrong hand, or just some slight problems of mismatching, one will put the blame on the Tidal but in fact it is the problems of either upstream components before it or downstream components after it.