Skip to content
Options

Call for Contest: Best audio reproduction of "I dreamed a dream" by Anna Hathaway

Comments

• Options
    昨下午和火四爺等人去看了。雖然我地不太認識這種音樂劇文化,但也能感受到歌者想表現的情感。我是完全不太懂這劇的歷史和人物背景,只能追字幕。當女主角唱 "I dreamed a dream"的短短數分鐘裡,她的悲愴感動了我。是真的感受。

要重播這段略帶哭泣而唱的女聲,但又帶有控訴的能量並不容易. PT的idea有趣,有趣.
  • Options
    I searched youtube and found this live performance by Samantha. Definitely she is talented and got a superb signing skill. Yet, she may have to live under shadow of Fantine/Anne in the movie because of the cast. Just spare a few minutes to watch the video and enjoy her voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYWIVmTBECE

Interestingly I notice she seem lowering her voice and tone in the movie than in the concert. The effect is perhaps better in movie perspective. I still think the scene she sings "on my own" in the raining night is the best scene in the movie.

The youtube chip is from Les Mis 25th Anniversary Concert. This is also a CD to be owned. But of course, it does not have Anne singing "I dreamed a dream" in it.
  • Options
    This is the most interesting thread on AE ever! I watched the movie. It is a great one! I think Hathaway will probably grab an Oscar.

The reproduction of "I dreamed a dream" is not easy. I'd even say damn demanding. It is all about contrast, contrast and contrast!
  • Options
    Wowwww.....So so Funny game! Long time no interesting event like this. This game makes me come out again with my ONLY and the BEST Da Vinci Amps !

Few things I would like to recommend.

First, if anyone wants to join this game with DV amp, please carefully think again. There is no DV amp better than the Grandeza system at the moment. I don't think the solid-state new DV amp can defeat the most powerful and competence GRANDEZZA.

Second, if you try to use whatever Tidal amp or Analogue domain something....Please please ...track 5 is a human voice focus track. How can those defeat DV in Human voice track? I doubt about it.

Third, if you are not using AE speakers, I haven't found any other brand come close to the AE general standard. Alexendra ?? MBL?? Magical?? Buy a pair of headphone you may get a chance. So happy to be bad bad rude audioguy..hahaha.

By the way, Where is Mr. DV???
  • Options
    精彩!精彩!用膽機推號角可能勝算較高。不過Robert套Takumi 前後亦有優勢,又要把女聲悲愴,但又要弦樂有氣勢,一次過挑戰定位和場面的平行度。
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Happy New Year fellow AE comrades !

I rec'd a mail from Jeff the other day about some competition and after logging on to the AE forum, I finally understood what was going on. Well, it is like Britain being forced into the the second world war when Germany invaded Poland. WIth 2 AE heavy-wieght supporters asking me to check the polarity of Les Miserables, I finally got myself a copy today, even though it is a HK version, the sound quality is okay.

The recording is in normal phase and I can understand why some folks may think otherwise as the vocal on track 5 & 15 together with the orchestra can be pretty demanding on many hi-fi systems. I listened to the abvovmentioned tracks each for at least 12-15 times this afternoon and the followings are my impression.

In order to reply the 2 tracks well, one must focus on the reproduction of the orchestra instead of the vocals as the strings can sound a wee bit harsh and the peak sound pressure of the recording can be over-powering on certain systems.

On track 5, when the cello appeared (you can see how the orchestra was arranged from the 2 photos taking from Lyndhurst Hall, U.K. from the CD booklet) it touched me. The orchestra is very wide, filling the entire room and the music must be played loud in order to capture the realistic orchestral sound effect.

Once you get the strings right (you should hear a pretty sweet sound), you can reproduce the emotion on Anne Hathaway's voice. The recording has a very wide and deep sounstage. If the crescendo of the orchestra sounds harsh or thin, you can beef up the mid n lower mid bass as well as by pushing both speakers closer by 2-4 mm.

In summary, I think Cessaro owners will win over Sunray users when playing Les Miserables as Cessaro horns can reproduce opera better in my opinion.

Happy listening !

Mr Z
  • Options
    Shall we conclude the recording of track 5 is positive phase? I also tested back and forth over here in Taipei with my gang. Some says inverse phase has better imaging than postive phase. We have a spilt of 50:50 pertaining to the correctness of phase.
  • Options
    I think the recording is done in positive phase
  • Options
    Mr Breakfast,

For the record, I will join the contest representing as one of the Tidal Agoria and Analog Domain amp participants. Track 5, on the face of it, is about a vocal, but if you take the vocalist as a cello and consider this is a track on cello concerto, the winning criteria would not be just on the cello, would they? Spatial resolution, grandeur of the soundstage, ambience of each musical instruments, etc should all be taken into account.

By the way, I still have difficulty in getting the US version of this CD but have listened to this soundtrack from youtube trying to understand more on why this is selected....I do believe my system may have some upper edges.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel,

Track 5 ON THE FACE OF IT IS A VOCAL. We all Know. Don't want to explain this point anymore as you are the one showing youself only looking at the SURFACE.

Spatial resolution......bla bla bla...
    we all know. 乾炒牛河唔通冇豉油咩....
  • Options
    Mr. Breakfast, I see your point and may have misinterpreted your post, especially on the 2nd point about Tidal/AD because I have listened many times in AE showroom using Tidal/AD, the reproduction of vocal is top notch and less colorated that DV. This is a contest not about gears, it is about the skills to make the system sounds right. Certainly I would not be the winner even if I mirror image the entire system in AE and put them in my place. Agree?
  • Options
    I concur the recording of Track 5 is postive phase. What are the competition criteria? Marvel, we are in the same page and reside in the same camp. I don't believe Horn and Tube will have edge on this recording.
  • Options
    究竟賽例是什麼? 我聽了好多次都覺得自己播得唔錯。但去了雄哥處又真係覺得Analog Domain加Tidal播此段非常有場面,而且人聲也十分有質感。
  • Options
    To Azzurri,

Have you grabbed a copy of the soundtrack? I'd love to listen to your opinion regarding the quality of playback of track 5 on your Takumi K10/K70G2 Cessaro system. Do you see you have any edge?

To all,

Here is my take. I believe the recording is in positive phase. And I am thankful and respectful of Mr.Zanden's tips to get the track well. However, I have a different opinion. I believe the focus is the vocal on this track. If we get the string session right at the cresendo, the argument is that we get the vocal right. This is largely logical in terms of the tonal balance. But to win this competition, I believe there is much more than that.

It is all about "diction" in my opinion. Let's wait for the rules.
  • Options
    This is a contest not about gears, it is about the skills to make the system sounds right.

okok. I know Mr Marvel is using Tidal and AD. I know I know.....