Skip to content

AE Central Diary

edited October 2023
AE opened a showroom in Central under the baton of Master Chik four years ago.  Throughout this period, numerous evaluations had taken place including a whole suite of JMF system, Zanden electronics, DiscRotator, DaVinci, Cessaro Qian Long field coil speakers..... etc.  

Each evolution does not necessarily mean the latest setup supersedes the previous in terms of performance.  It is rather a manifestation of holistic maximisation of performance by properly integrating and synergising various parameters.  Then we move on to the next challenge.

I joined the commando with Master Chik last year and introduced a full suite of Synaestec electronic.
We made a lot of effort in search of a good matching pair of speaker for the german suite.  Then came the Arteluthe Stiletto (refer to discussion in another thread) which has a sensitivity of 82db forming a perfect partnership with the Synaestec Saxum power amp with 250W output at 8ohm and a damping factor of 400.

In the past few weeks since the arrival of Stiletto, we have been listening extensively and measuring the acoustics response of the room to this speaker.
We accordingly kept adjusting the position of the speakers with respect to the listening position.  This is not an one off exercise but have been a journey consisting of many iterations, close communications with Robert from Arteluthe, preamp settings, cable matching and digesting feedbacks from many fellow comrades.

We are glad to achieve a convincing level of performance. Please come and join us in witnessing such milestone!  

Last but not least, my special compliments to Burni who has taken the 20kg+ gears for the repeated room measurements.  Burni has become a proud owner of Stiletto as well!

Comments

• Roman and Mr Dynamic came. 
  • edited April 2020
    I may be one of AE/Marvel customers visiting Central showroom quite frequently.  Ever since AE launched Stiletto in Central, I had been using acoustic measuring equipment (Linux device) with microphone to assist Marvel to adjust toe-in angle.  I also repeatedly adjusted the positioning of the speakers by pushing/pulling a few mini meters in each iterations so that the sound wave from two speakers always arriving both left and right ears of person sitting on the France chair at the same time.  Time delay between left and right (mic measure) was changed from 0.15 ms to 0.0 ms.   With this change, Marvel and I could comprehend solidity and stability of sound image alongside clear layering with abundance of energy filling the whole room.  The Stiletto convinced me. It is time to let go of the SF speakers. I am very pleased to wait for the delivery of Stiletto next week.
  • Stiletto 兩個月前加入 AE Central後,線材進進出出,看見 Marvel 兄公子般嘅身形,將一部部幾十磅嘅器材搬來搬去,為著盡快了解Stiletto 嘅個性和找出最佳配搭,過程中並非想像中簡單。

昨天再去試聽,比上一次又是另一片天空,聲音大至同房間取得一條平衡點,過程中發現了一位新成員,Esprit 嘅GAIA power cord,用於 power amp 上,因為我本身係 Saxum 用家,故知道 Saxum  power cord 要求甚高,為咗對 GAIA 有更深嘅認識,我哋同場用 Skogrand Beethoven  A B 比較,GAIA 相對比較優雅、連貫,在大編制管弦樂下,各群組能量強弱交代,係比 Beethoven 優勝,這種優勢,相信系統越大越明顯,而 Beethoven 能量控制則比較進取、權威、刺激。

• Synaestec Igniculus phono has been taken away for review by Audio technique.  Stay tuned! 

Vinyl enjoyment won't stop here, instead I am going to showcase Zanden 1200 Signature which features a full balanced design from curve modulation to phono output with 8 curves adjustment.  This is the first phono amp equipped with curve modulation catering for different cutting machines for vinyl.  

Will share more when I get a full grasp of this master piece.  Can't wait! 

• 昨天到訪了中環Ck,剛好碰上Marvel 兄取缐,順便聽下對Marquis 配合 Saxum upgrade 版 / Fulcrum 前後級,Analog source Da Vinci  EQ 加上 Robert koda MC1 ,配合Thales statement arm and EE cart , 超級發燒組合!

播了一首大編制 Symphony warm up , 以一對新開箱speaker來說, 全頻非常平衡,聽到Divine Majestic 的特徵,雖然體績少了2/3, 但係仍然有大型系統的效果及氣勢!中頻密度非常高,分析力有條不紊!

最難得是昨天植師傅拿出一套珍藏綠膠全套紫釵記欣賞,大開耳界!再一次印證左原版錄音的昧力,人聲自然,高中低頻平衡,沒有浮誇任何頻段,使得充份還原任白波伯4位大佬倌真實的表演!是re issue version 不能比較的!

唯一是想聽一次 Synaestec audio full suite 演繹又係什麼光景?植師傅認為會比Mc1更夾,期待遲啲再訪Ck!

Last but Not the least, Marvel兄的調教可謂功不可沒,多月努力果然沒有白費,相信中環AE很快會成為hifi 發燒友另一潮聖地! 

• Huber

Please come again to the showroom in Centra .  I have done further improvement on the room acoustics, replaced the Wadax Arcadia dac with the Atlantis dac, upgraded the Synaestec Saxum power amp , added in FMR EE ground wire ....

I am confident that the latest iteration will heighten the listening experience by a wide margin from your previous audition!

Marvel 
  • Great Marvel 

I shall PM you once my visit schedule is confirmed 
  • 星期六又再訪 AE Central , 果然全套西裝Synaestec Audio 開聲( phono, pre , power), 又係另外一番光景

除了西裝一套外, KK 再把 Saxum grounded by Fmr EE cable , 可謂冇得輸, 能量感即時升級到另一境界

當天主力聽大編制古典音樂,白頭佬, 布蘭詩歌, Aida by Karajan,一首接一首,效果十分震憾! 在超高音壓下,仍然感覺鬆容自在!!
    但當天最大reward 係聽到 Red Army Ensemble 最為surprise , 真係4排軍官清楚企左面前獻唱 ,好有層次感,明顯igniculus phono 的超寧靜和超高分析力功不可抹

I believe I shall visit very regularly in future 
    Thx for Marvel kind service Sincerely 

• Red Gabrielle will be sent back to Swiss for an upgrade. 

This white one forms a surprisingly more harmonious aesthetic with the Divin Marquis! 
  • 白色金色襯到絶!  
  • Peter,

I further isolate the power amp from floor vibration by adding a SRA amp stand on it.  With WellFloat and Arya underneath Divin Marquis speaker, I have to declare the performance level has reached another height.  Please come again when you are free to listen to this evolutionary step.

Marvel

• edited August 2020
    As more energy can be released after installation of the WellFloat Delta and Arya Revopod underneath the Goebel Marquis, I can turn up the volume a bit more without crowding out the musical details by the noise induced mechanically from the speaker.  To further improve the S/N ratio, I have decided to move the 2 Pranawire Extreme Linebackers (EL) from my home system to the showroom, for the turntable motor and the Wadax Atlantis DAC.  The ELs have proven track record of bi-directional filtering thus preventing noise from the turntable motor and the fast computing CPU inside the Atlantis dac going back via the AC conditioner to contaminate the entire system.  This has further heightened the soundstage by delivering much clarity on the treble region on both digital and vinyl playback. The outcome was well expected because I had been acquainted with Linebacker and EL for nearly 10 years!

The unexpected and biggest pleasant surprise to me was the addition of the Esprit Audio Gaia AES/EBU digital cable between the DAC and the CD transport.  I had been comparing different digital cable with 2 friends of mine came over with their own. In the 3 hours non-stop reconnection of digital cable over 15 times, the result was unambiguously the same:  Gaia stood out as the Flamingo.  It delivers the richest tonality of each instruments and passion of every performers to the fullest extent.  From Leung Sing Bor to Mutter’s Schindler’s list, from Carmen opera to Ondekoza (鬼太鼓座), from Nils Lofgren ‘Keith Don’t Go’ to Three Kingdoms.  Gaia always delivers the focal point precisely. We can easily track every single outburst of energy from start to finish even tempo with lightning fast transient.  Pauses between note are more profound and prominent conveying the passion of the performers beyond my comprehension. 

I can’t imagine if I use 3 Gaia AES to link up the Wadax Transport and Reference DAC at home.  It will happen sooner in Divin Lab which will undoubtedly elevate the current digital playback by a few notches.

Marvel
  • What is Gaia Marvel? New flagship?
  • Flagship beyond the catalog of Esprit.