Skip to content

New AE Site

The site is up and running. Please check and see if there is anything wrong. Please email an issues to PT and we will try and get the issues addressed right away!

Comments

• Dear all,

Welcome to the new AE website. The design of it is meant to be simple. It is optimised for mobile and tablet for easy view on the road.

And I have hired Marcus, son of Marvel, to be the web administrator so as to better manage the flow of new information in a more organised manner.

Today, AE is already globally well known. This initial success can not be achieved without all of your support. We shall continue to push the envelope with an aim to radiate positive energy to the industry.
  • The new site is much faster and easy to read. Great !
  • Congrats on the new site--super I must get Lap to bring me to hear the terrific system when I am next in Hong Kong

Kudos PT!

BruceW
  • Hi guys

It’s great to see the new AE site up and running. Much more responsive and fun to use.

As a first post on the new site, I take the opportunity, after some requests and for those curious on the Wadax Trio operation as a phono stage, to post some info from the setup used at the AE Supershow (Cessaro-Vertere-Wadax-Zanden-Tripoint-Dalby room).

The picture attached shows some of the measurement summary data: before and after ‘mapping’. Many parameters are not shown for simplicity, like timing info, other non-linearities, etc.

There are 5 graphs in the picture:

1- On top trace, the natural response is shown.
    From 25Hz to 12KHz, amplitude swings by an amazing 4dB. If we extend to 20KHz, this difference widens to 12dB!. These are the TYPICAL and natural losses that appear on any phono system. These are due to cartridge design, setup, loading..

2- On trace below, predicted output.

3- On lower trace, the real measured response AFTER system mapping is applied. Differences across the audio band are now 0.1dB vs 12dB of the natural response of the system.
    4 and 5- On lowest leftmost, Left to Right differences: 2dB differences across the audio band. They are reduced to 0.15dB after mapping. This ensures soundstage is totally stable and new spatial clues are resolved.
    Some conclusions from this graph:
    a. Huge natural losses appear in all phono setups. As shown, there is not a big interest in what happens about 40KHz, as the cartridge-loading-setup combination will filter eventual HF content on the disc. At 40KHz, the measured level with our master reference lacquer was -25dB (!).
    Furthermore, disc cutters apply a sharp low pass filter to the original music being transferred to disc, to eliminate everything above 20KHz. HF content can (and likely will) damage the cutting heads used to cut the master.

b. So phono stage amplitude response at 100KHz or 200KHz has no impact in terms of amplitude. However, when using fully analog circuitry, phase response accuracy at the top limit of the spectrum is related to bandwidth. In the digital domain, you can arbitrarily adjust phase (time) and amplitude independently, which allows the freely choose analog bandwidth and preserve all timing info.

c. By the time the analog content from the disc reaches the input connectors of ANY phono stage, many losses have already occured. No matter how perfect the analog phono stage is.

So basically, the digital domain allows to reverse the contamination that occurs during phono reading process. Soundstage is reconstructed, timing information restored, power spectrum naturally re-equilibrated.

Javier
  • Hi Javier. I now understand why you use digital approach instead of full analogue. Brilliant concept! The speed of loading of this new site is faster and reading and sharing become much easier!
    And more importantly, I can retrieve my previous accounts with this new system!!
    Man
  • By the way, I am Man, and my previous account name shows Man.
    Man
  • Hello Ah Man,

Do you know how to change the profile picture?
  • cool site!
    good job PT!
  • Collider,

Where do you come from?
  • I changed my profile photo and added a photo of my system. Maybe some other folks can do that also?
  • Yes I know, but not sure how to show the latest posts at top of each discussion.
    Man