Skip to content
Options

Beyond黃家駒原音重播計畫

本人在過去數月不停朝向這個方向和方式來紀念黃家駒離世20週年. 我目的是要他靈魂重現在AE. 我今天終於逹到了,心有感動, 願與懷愛他的朋友分享。

Comments

• Options
    This is an English translation of the Chinese texts written above.

In the past few months, I have tried hard to reproduce the soul of Wong Ka Kui (lead vocal of BEYOND) at AE in memory of his departure from us for 20 years. I believe I have succeeded and was touched by the audio reproduction result. I would like to share with anyone who loves him.

Without the help of our reverent analog master on the final touch on speaker positioning this morning, I could not deliver this message here. Please be mindful that the original recording quality of their records were not exceptional high quality. But the goal here is to reproduce his "soul". It doesn't matter whether he was wearing giorgio armani or just T-shirt and jeans, what matters is the soulful communications.
  • Options
    Very interesting. See you at AE tomorrow at noon.
  • Options
    I shall join you
  • Options
    The "Beyond" playback at AE is an "experience". I encourage all of you to go for a listen.
  • Options
    I will go this afternoon.
  • Options
    PT, I am speechless. Thank you.
  • Options
    PT, 你得道了.
  • Options
    Mr.Dalby must be a cool man. If you do not exist, we probably can't experience "the absolute reference" level of playback prevailing at AE now. The soul of Peter Brem is so carefree with Dalby's command at the line stage session. And Mr. Ralph's gigantic horn is the window teleporting the live experiences recorded to the venue of the listening space. And let's not forget the spanish black horse - Mr. Javier who is willing to defy gravity to pursue his own way. I feel as though all these greatest audio minds are finally talking to each other in unison for the very first time ever. And such sacred moment cannot be made with Mr. Miguel's masterstroke from the Troy signature. I am not referring to just prior experiences at AE but all other auditions in my life.

To contrast today's experience with all previous listenings at AE in the past 5 years, I have the following analogy. The past was a combination of Giorgio Armani, Lanvin, Loewe, and Christian Dior Homme. They are all top labels and cut with very fine fabric. But then the mixture of Dior and Loewe may not be everyone's taste. A suite of Giorgio Armani looks cool but the body may not fit exactly to the cut. At times, the slim cut of Dior Homme is imposed on a muscular guy and the result is damn funny. The innovative cut of Lanvin is fascinating but not many will be able to appreciate the understatement.

And I really have no idea what PT has done to cut a suit with the widest appeal on ALL type of music. And this is no longer a Hi Fi experience but real emotional music experience songs after songs, album after album..... I didn't want to fucking leave not because of the equipment but the real music experiences.

The emotional impact of the guitar from Eric Clapton's "You look wonderful tonight" from a live recording blew my fucking mind away.

If you can guarantee anyone can reproduce what you can achieve today, you can ask for ANY PRICE and many people are willing to pay. This is an experience I recommend not only for audiophiles but for all those people who are interested in music. As you know there are many people who are keeping walking in circles without an destination. That's fine with me but the most beautiful thing in life is soul satisfaction.

PT, you have done a tremendous job of satisfying everyone. I am fucking blown away and when the music kept surfing my mind during my flight back to Japan. The serenity of piano from Pires is soul penetrating.
  • Options
    VR,

What exactly does all this means? My friends who visited the HK Hi End Show over the weekend subsequently paid a visit to AE on Sunday. When they returned to Taipei, they told me mine is far behind the performance at AE. They told me all parameters surpass anything they had experienced before.

Frankly speaking, I think this is quite an exaggeration!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Whilst it seems repetitive to say PT has reached another height in elevating the performance of the system in the showroom, I cannot help but still say the listening experience yesterday is mind boggling to me on several things: (1) how much details can be unleashed from a CD recording, be it in the storage media of a CD or a CAS. (2) what are the relative contributions of the gears in the showroom which can collectively create this scenic virtual soundspace (3) last but not least, what keeps PT so passionate and enthusiastic to break limits after limits and raise the bar relentlessly from an attained position which is already far reaching from many....

Wadax, to me, is a miracllous product integrating two functions belonging to two extremes: CAS for the computer literates and digital phono for the hard core vinyl fans. The miracle it does is: it can cater for both with flying colors and eclipses numerous CAS systems and phono which I have listened to.

Dalby D7SE, the best of the best preamp in the world faultlessly recreating the recording details in the most precise and elegant way. Of the 2 hours listening, I tried very hard but fail to identify any signature sounding of such preamp, it is utterly a piece playing a key role in the overall performance but yet totally transparent from the scene.

... (to be cont'd)
  • Options
    I could go on for another few more para on the other hifi jewels in the room but I think the key of the success in achieving this unprecedented level is not by just having all the jewels, it is the understanding and orchestrating each and every component, paying attention to the meticulous details including even the power cable for the router of the Wadax CAS setup. If the whole suite of the components is an orchestra, PT is no doubt the conductor to direct how the music should be produced both rationally and passionately. I was simply led to the original concert hall for Beyond, Sam Hui, Eric Clapton, they are simply alive in the showroom.

Jeff, come and listen for your own if Voy can make a slightly longer trip from Japan and yet find it worthwhile.

Marvel
  • Options
    Did you listen to Sam Hui 90 concert at AE? That was mind boggling.
  • Options
    Yes, I did...Sam Hui CD ripped into the Wadax server outperforms my LP playback at home as I have never experienced the 'presence' and 'close encounter' of Sam Hui before....I was simply put back to the concert in 1990. Same impression when listening to Beyond, Eric Clapton and Joan Baez (on LP)...
  • Options
    When I was alone in the showroom last week, I listened to this song 海闊天空……his emotion and his image have come back to me . DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ME.

This is the very first time I can listen to 家驅's voice again wirh his soul. I remember ……many many years ago, there was a pop rock show in Shatin sport ground, the first time I watched beyond on the stage. 家驅's voice was thick and dense with power. Then, he died………

Sadness deepens his image and singing emotion into our hearts.The experience in showroom makes me pick up my guitar again……
  • Options
    I visited AE showroom for consecutive 2 days. It was a very interesting experience because I witnessed a dramatic improvement in sound by just a simple adjustment in one parameter in the system. I will write the story later.

The sound of Beyond live is a bit sub-optimal because of its recording. But when I listened to 海闊天空, I felt 家驅 was singing vividly in front of me. Another big surprise to me is Sam Hui's 鐵塔凌雲. Just stunning. O-mouth resulted.