Skip to content

Happy New Year ... Audition in AE Show Room

I should have posted this message last year as the audition was actually done some time before X’mas. Because of my laziness, the message is only posted in 2007. Originally, I thought mine would be the first one in 2007 in the forum so that I could get some discount from AE. However, I just noticed that PT has already posted the first one. Anyway, may I firstly wish better and better business for AE and that means more and more hifi lovers could listen to good music.

The focus of the audition was the Orpheus One SE DAC. Yet I had another great experience on learning how the sound quality could be improved by simply stuffing the power amp with a wooden plate. Although PT explained to me that the wooden plate shielded the vibration between the power amp and the ground, I am still wondering at this moment why the vibration mattered that much. However, listening is believing. The wooden plate really brought significant improvement to the sound quality. After stuffing the power amp, the transparency was improved. PT played a cut of live Jazz for me. The live feeling was so good as if the band was playing just in front of me.

PT demonstrated to me how a DAC made the difference by playing the same song with Orpheus Zero transport + One DAC and Linn CD12 (with built-in DAC). Although the pre and power amp were different, I could still figure out how the sound resolution could be improved by adding a DAC.

The audition was another very good experience for me. I really needed to thank PT as he was so kind to answer the silly questions raised by a hifi freshman like me during the audition.

Comments

• Azzurri,

Did you get the One SE DAC after your audition?

I got mine SE DAC to go with the Zero for a few months by now, I am very happy with the improvement it provides. With it, I think I will not need to worry about the source equipment for quite a while.

Robert