Skip to content
Options

Flow Master Reference

2»

Comments

• Options
    Any more sharing on the application on power amps?
    PT, when the next shipment of FMR will be available?
  • Options
    Big piece hing,

Instead of waiting for the FMR, I used 2 Flow Reference on the Wavac 300b mono amps.

This power cable is something special. It do not energize the bass. People will disappoint if they look for correct energy imbalance. What it does is clean up the noises between the musical lines. The SMR can do this but as Marvel bro points out in earlier post, the Flow can "link" or "glue" the musical notes together. The magic is if too much glue, the movement between notes will go away. But the FR provides very high transparency from top to bottom. Wavac has high mid range energy. The Flow power do not reduce it. I see clearer what is going on this section, without losing coherence. The flow of the music improves a few miles.

I don't want to know how two FMR transform my system. The FR betters almost all cables I tried in my own system.

Philip
  • Options
    FMR has 4 times more than FR in terms of the total cross section areas of the conductors. This is a fact which can help visualising the improvement from FR to FMR.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel bro, did you try FMR on other positions? Kindly share.

VR
  • Options
    My experience on using FMR on the Heritage DAC has been very positive and my earlier analogy on FMR like a 'glue' still prevails as I continue comparing side by side the Heritage DAC and the Zanden DAC. Solid state gear seems to mate better with FMR than tube was my initial impression until last night when I switched the FMR to my Syren Reference preamp.

If I may draw comparison between the Syren preamp and Karan preamp...Syren is always on the 'photographic camp' giving ultimate transparency and resolution with microscopic details on movements and dynamics. Karan focuses on big picture with a very evenly distributed energy distribution. With the FMR on the Syren, the gap difference between Karan and Syren seems to have been narrowed by having more stronger coupling on all the musical images floating in the air to form a seamless big picture. Flowing (such word keeps surfacing in my mind in search of a word to describe my feeling) from high to low, from back to front, from low energy to high energy all becomes so smooth without a slight dint. I was enjoying the box set of Arrau's late recordings: The Final Session and my wife commented without watching deliberately on my system: Where did you hide your LP system?

Marvel
  • Options
    Where is your vinyl setup? What was the Arrau recording?
  • Options
    Voy,

3-motor Raven has been ordered, Grandezza Grand Reference arm with Dynavector cartridge. A configuration recommended by AE and Thomas of TW Acoustics when I met him 2 days ago in AE's showroom. Thomas has nicely taught me a lot about the fine tuning of the turntable to yield the best performance. Difference between the 1 motor and 3 motor version: According to the exact words of Thomas, if you hear just Motor 1, you will be very satisfied, once you have heard 3-motor, you cannot retreat back to Motor 1...everything is more stable, soundstage more vividly constructed.

The whole set would be delivered in 2-3 months time and I think the critical path is on the DV GR arm.

My wife's comment was based on the fact that I mentioned to her about my LP plan which caught her in a not-so-pleasant surprise! But definitely she felt the sound of my system with the FMR plugged on the Syren much more 'coherent' and 'live-like' in her own words.

Marvel
  • Options
    That is truly splendid! A 3-Motor monster! You have all the privileges to be served by the designer all the time. What is the real deal behind?

A new stick named Grand Reference from the house of Da Vinci? What is it all about? The exisitng version is flawness playing all of my opera records.

The syren phono will not be labeled "pride of ownership" soon. Good spirit, our Marvelous Marvel bro.

VR
  • Options
    Visit:

http://www.da-vinci-audio.com/TonArm/image tonearm/Tonearm Grand Reference 1.jpg

This is the new GR tonearm with the following attributes:
    The Grandezza Grand Reference is ANOTHER ARM.  It looks totally different.

1.  Instead of using 3 separate counter weights like the mark 2 or the mark 1, the GR uses ONE single counterweight that can adjust freely by turning clockwise or counter clockwise to calibrate the tracking force.
    2.  The VTA of the GR is much more convenient to adjust. 
    3.  The wood of the ARM is different, it is lighter but with higher damping factor.
    4.  The headshell is also lighter.
    5.  The bearing improves a fewfold.  It is made in the factory of watch movement for Breguet.

I feel like a kid without the driving license but buying a Ferrari 430...not sure what it is but quite sure it would 'conquer' many on the road....whether I will crash it? Likely...but I have hi-fi Schwmeggar sitting next to me: PT and his crew. ha ha ...can't go too wrong, I hope.

Marvel

• Options
    What a temptation to resist! Knowing these unique sticks take long time to produce, the impatient devil inside me told me to follow Marvel bro's red hot action and ordered one today.

VR
  • Options
    Marvel bro, will you get one or two more FMRs? You may need one for the Raven 3-Motor AC. What power cable in AE showroom with the Raven, can you remind me?

VR
  • Options
    Dear Voy,

I am a nut in investment, shall I follow your recommendation on BEA?

For Raven AC in AE showroom, I think they are using Argento Level 1 Mk2. Thomas is not a cable guy and when I asked him about whether I need a 'super-power' cord for the 3 motor Raven, he said 'no'. As a cable freak, I am half-believer of such, eventhough it came from the 'father' of this masterpiece. I will use a SMR EE.

Marvel
  • Options
    Probably, the SMR EE and the Raven AC will not be a good match. A simple Level One mark 2 or the Flow Reference is all it need. Don't overfeed the Raven.