Skip to content

Re-assessment of FMR

I never really had the opportunity to really sit down and listen the FMR in my own system. 2 years ago, the initial reception of the FMR is not as great as the Flow. Studiogrey said it was slow. Marvel bro said it was not as good as the SMR EE pc. MatthewC said it over-smoothened the leading edges etc. The subsquent appearance of the SMR EE pc in "Ah Yee" feeding Esoteric gears sealed the championship for SMR EE pc.

However, there is another group comprising Charles, PTsang, Dso, and Shanghai Bigpiece thought otherwise. This group of users are predominantly Wavac followers, with the exception of PTsang whose favorite is Kondo and Shindo.

In fact, PTsang even brought his FMR to feed on Marvel's 805mk2 two months ago competing with SMR EE. Ptsang, afterwards, told me the FMR is clearly better than SMR EE pc especially in the lower mid bass region. Marvel bro, being the strongest EE supporter on earth, disagreed. The subsequent demo of two FMR on Dso's 833 further substantiate PTsang's observation. BIgpiece in Shanghai said he did not think SMR EE is better than FMR too. To cut a long story short, Marvel is now using two FMR on 805 mk 2.

Their contrasting experiences led me to try it on my own system almost after 2 years. The two FMRs was originally reserved for Dso. I am sorry, I could not take them out after using them on the Zanden 300B push pull amplifier. Every cable carries some kind of signature sound. The FMR is indeed smooth, coherent, goes deep deep down in the bass, controlled and transparent. The only one word that appears in my mind is "Beautiful, beautiful and beautiful." I sense neither deceleration of speed nor oversmoothening of angular edges. Bassline of Piano never goes so deep before.

Words cannot describe and the more I descirbe, the more you guys may think I am exaggerating claims. It is better for you guys come and listen.

Again, it is beautiful.

Comments

• FMR is always my favorite power cord serving the area between main AC and the power bar. We had tried FMR in Jeff's various amplifiers and the observation is the same as yours. The FMR always goes deeper, better bass contour and have a better sense of overall control. The SMR EE power cable releases tremendous amount of lower mid bass energy always - very exciting.
  • PT, Hung,

Totally agree and I think a good mix of EE, FmR and OR power cables would leverage the strength of each. Currently I am using FMR on the powre amp and SMREE on the turntables...EE matches very well with Bergmann, no doubt about it!

Marvel
  • I m Sorry PT , i m not planning to give you back the FMR.

I plug it to powerbar & switch xlr ee to Heritage. I came back listen after a hours run-in, I immediately know what make you exciting, and I m happy too(1:00am too late to calling u). I found the energy much closer with the real piano, i mean not only knock on the keyboard but sound from whole piano. And I tried listen and feel the tone energy with very light & micro dynamic piano playback......that emotion and the every tone clear & full body. Wow! Even it is 3:00am, I still want to listen one more track Accardo play 2nd & 3rd movement of Sibelius violin concerto, I think the speed is right, because orchestra is in dynamic and he show very very clear technic but doesn't play very fast & dynamic on Allegro, And the Adagio play like singing & telling story. I think it is not easy to make a monitor type speaker sound at this stage! I wow again!!

It easy to tell the benefit, But, in my system, I found the FMR plug to PB still has too much lower energy(PB connect pre, cdt, dac, phono), because the piano l heard is a bit too heavy. I guess plug to driver stage will be more suitable or I need switch diff. match on PB.

How FR compare with FMR? Thanks! Please share FR & FMR user. This is a goo cable!

Mr. dv
  • Mr.dv, use Flow for your Gabriel.