Skip to content
Options

To Marvel Bro

I may dip in HK on Friday evening for 3 hours. Will you and silver batman be around? Wanna poor voy buy you a dinner or some drinks?

VR

Comments

• Options
    Voy,
    Both Zanden and Syren have not been back...Week commencing 25Sep would suit me best as I will be out of town next week.

When will your Zanden combo be delivered?
    Marvel
  • Options
    I try my best to meet Marvel. Your behavior seems strange, give up the superclock, grab it back the day after. This round, throw away the Eufro to an oldman. What's next?

VR
  • Options
    Voy,

I think I am 'Consistently inconsistent'. Eufro is a jewel and the waiting queue is long. I gave it up and somebody picks it. They are kind enough to say something on the forum but it is absolutely not necessary since they are all paying full price to AE, probably the opportunity to get it faster than they would have expected.

I can always put myself back in the end of the queue when I feel I am more ready.

Thanks for squeezing out from your schedule some time for us to meet, as I said, I hope I won't disappoint you. Bring some CDs (I am sure you would) as my collection is tiny.

See you soon.
  • Options
    Do you agree with linnman's perspective on Zanden verus the Heritage? I would like to hear your thought. Where is the silver batman? Why so late?

VR
  • Options
    What is the BACH thing?
  • Options
    Voy,

I have listened for about an hour in Linnman's setup between Zanden 5000Signature and Heritage. This was listening under liternally a blind test scenaria where Linnman switched between the 2 DACs in a disguise manner and sometimes I did not even know how many time he had switched back and forth between the 2. Only Linnman knew which DAC he had switched to.

I have been a candid user of 5000Signature and before that I used 5000Mk4. In some respect, I am a true fans of Zanden DAC. In that blind test session, I wouldn't say I could score 100% in identifying which DAC I was listening, but I don't think I was below 90%.

If I could put an overall assessment, Zanden is the most Solid State like tube DAC while Heritage is the most tube like Solid State DAC. Why is that? I see much convergence happening in these 2 DACs in that they start off from a different camp and many would end up staying in the same camp exhibiting some signature sounding of the school they belong to. These 2, however, are intersecting across the 2 camps like 2 cars driving perfectly along the middle line separating the 2 lanes in an express way.

Which one is better? Really difficult to tell! Linnman's assessment reflects a lot and find no way to disagree with him in all aspects. For the most precise reconstruction and conversion of the digital data to analogue signal, Heritage is a terrific scientific product which has done a perfect job, what you have in the record is what you hear (discounting the room acoustics effect). Zanden, is a fine art of sublimating the original recording into a even more pure state utterly based on an individual's craftmanship and understanding of what music should be like.

Silver Batman is now with FedEx and it won't be long for me to unleash its mask. This is what Mr Graham Tricker wrote and I hope he won't mind I quote his words which I find very compelling:

the Syren is a unique preamplifier as you will see when you open
    its box, as one person has designed, built, tested and packed this amplifier. It is amongst the best even made in this century of tube electronics commneted by Roy in the UK. It is not for any market but person who really understand music. There are not too many of them. This generation of audiophiles know nothing about music but blindly follow review and peers.

I feel shameful after reading his comments as I am far far below the passing mark in the subject of 'Music'. I trust Silver Batman is the perfect jumping board for me. Up Up and Away !!!!

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel bro, very good explanation. I enjoy reading quality opinion. I see more color now.

VR