Skip to content
Options

Orpheus One SE DAC is brilliant

My first post in AE forum. I am a silent reader for many months. My system is a moderate Orpheus system for many years. I am not really an audiophile. I like string and vocal music most of the time, so I choose Sonas Faber speaker for rich tone.

After reading Charles and brother Fat's conversation on the Orpheus One SE DAC, I gave AE a call. PT, as everyone called him here, is very knowledgeable and responsive to many dumb questions of mine. I ear shop many dacs in Mongkok not satisfying my recent interest in opera. The widely acclaimed Burmester 061 is too clean sounding to me and energy is too ear-piercing at upper register whenever soprano's energy begin rising to peak. The string is a bit steely but pop music is quite good with sharp attack. It does not fit my musical preference. I listened to the weiss, very sweet sound, the vocal is warm and rich in tone. Unlike the Burmester, the energy of the soprano starts rolling off too fast. The difference between mezzo soprano and soprano is a bit ambiguous. The esoteric belongs to another universe, not suitable for my old ears. If it is not substantially then my 3 year old zero player, why change, I say to myself?

After many conversations with PT, I got a feeling I can put my trust on this young man. He refers me to Venice Audio to enquire stock situation this morning . At the evening, the O1SE was singing in my home! I play my favorite Anna Netrebro recording. Bingo! This is the musicality that I am aftering! My wife came back at 7pm. Her attention was caught by the beautiful voice of Anna right after she opened the door.

This old couple enjoyed music hours after hours until now. Thank you for your patience for all the dumb questions.

Comments