Skip to content

Troy : Defying Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle

"向海森堡測不準量子力學原理的終極挑戰"

In quantum physics, it is an accepted principle that certain pairs of physical properties, like position and momentum, cannot both be known to arbitrary precision. The more precisely one property is known, the less precisely the other can be known.

As a somewhat twisted analogy, I have always approached the quest for audio reproduction as an equation of trade-offs and compromise. This mentality has been severely challenged recently. A renewed focus on pace, coherency and overall balance had not only bring me closer to the frontier of latest technology but also allow to appreciate music in a way I had never dreamt of before. To boldly goes where no man had gone before, the decision to order the Troy requires no Captain Scott, all I need is to take the plunge knowing that this is a product that is revolutionary and is designed to plug a hole that has plagued modern day technology. Rewinding the clock a full 12 months, I told PT my interest is only on products that are a quantum leap over competition – not so much an insatiable ego but more a result of resources restraint. The Tidal, the FMR and the Troy meet precisely this simple criterion and they had shocked me beyond my wildest imagination.

An alien with 4 tentacles with a look that is mean and waiting to grab the host with all its might! I just let them grab the host all at once to save the pain and trouble. After about 30 minutes of charged up / run-in, all perceivable EMI (electromagnetic interference) is declared clinically dead. Totally helpless and overwhelmed, I collapsed in my chair, hoping to grasp the sensation of a new found dimension - Life.

Life is about presence and certainty. Learned comrades like Mr DV and DSo had already shared their valuable insights earlier and I totally agreed with them on the remarkable improvement on speed, liveliness and background silent. But to me, there is something more and beyond the well beaten path. If the improvements are only in terms of iota difference along these attributes, then this revolutionary gadget is a failure given its objective. Here I found it interesting to borrow the concept of Heisenberg’s Uncertanity Principle as a comparison. For all those quantum physicists out there, please pardon my sacrilege. In quantum mechanics, energy is expressed as a wave function with the centre of gravity defining its position and the wavelength being its momentum. The deployment of Troy enables both the wave function of each instrument to transmit naturally with pinpoint accuracy. They all have their individual identity and their presence is clear and undeniable. With EMI removed, every passage of music are now singing with certainty and conviction. I can feel all members of the orchestra firmly sitting down and working coherently to support the symphonic structure while the soloist is occupying the musical gravity rather than sailing on top of it. When the orchestra attentively awaits for the conductor to signal the crescendos, the momentary static creates immense tension as if ejaculations are in the wings (this, specifically for VoyR as he is presumably still waiting for his). For the first time and unmatched by any system I heard of, including that of PT’s latest Da Vinci, they all have feet and each one has their own emotions. It is this immensity that take over me. When the drum rolls, I feel as if I am passing through time and history. When the second violins are plucking their strings, they are wholesome and the resonance reaches the farthest end of the concert hall and bounces back in unison.

In a week that is arguably the toughest and most brutal in my career, the Troy is my life line and every night as I retired from work, music plays like a miracle. I am so filled with emotion.

Helen of Troy, yes, your face does launch a thousand ships.

Comments

• More to the point,

...When the drum rolls, I feel as if I am passing through time and history "with unclouded precision and resonating clarity".

• This is another good piece of hi end audio writing. I miss my system back home.
  • Though I am pretty sure I am miles away from writing anything like this to describe the magic of Tripoint.

I went to visit Dso last Sat and listen to his system. When I entered the room, the first 2 eye catching items laying on the front row of DSo's system were the Kyoto running an octopus of white Argento power cables...yes...2 FMR feeding into the Kyoto and 6 coming out of it to feed all the gears including the powerful 833. The other item is of course the Tripoint.

These are in fact the 2 new family members of Dso's system since I last visited him together with PT.

Will report more tomorrow as I am really tired tonight after visiting SmallPotato in Saikung...another interesting listening experience which I will share more later....

Marvel (z...zzz....zzzz.....)

• tidal dude, you don't have to remind me. The waiting is painful. You singled out even PT's DV system could not stand ground. Was the Tripoint there?
  • Voy R,

Troy is not connected to PT's DV system and I resist to project the improvement if otherwise. In any case, his achievement is the result of patience and steadfastness which few can match.

• Visit to DSo's system (Part 2)...

Compared to the last time I visited DSo, the energy dispersion is more relaxed without a tense and 'squeezed' feel. I recall when I first replaced the ORB power bar with Kyoto, I also had the same feeling of power coming over at ease and calmness. Dso has continuously performed room tuning refinement, I believe this may also help to contribute to this.

IConnection to the musical stage appears closer with clear spatial separations. This was particularly apparent when we listen to string quartet on Beethoven. I can hear distinctively the performance of the 4 string instruments and yet could feel strongly the dialogue among themselves very much like seeing clearly each car of the train and yet one can see the whole train is moving like one closely coupled with each other. DSo is using a whole suite of FMR interconnects and speaker cable so in terms of signal purity, I believe it is top top notch. With the Tripoint, the EMF/RFI has been greatly minimised. DSo explained to me on the antennae mechanism of the Tripoint draining away those EMF/RFI but I was quite carried away by the music the system produces. Again, I fall short of words to describe how I felt listening with Tripoint, it is like putting SRA underneath all the gears hook up with Tripoint, the kind of immediate serenity and cleanliness is vivid and subtle. You know the noise is there (eg. in my system) once you have listened to Tripoint..

Marvel

• Alecy's tidal suite was finally completed yesterday. I went there for a two-hour listening session with my own recordings. Not everyone has the chance to listen to a full tidal suite yet but it is something unique. The spatial resolution is one of a kind, a very natural rendition of sound space in one big picture. You cannot single out any particular frequency range is particularly more beautiful than the other. It does not carry the horn dynamics to raise the speed of your heartbeats. Everything is blended together. You don't feel it is solid state. No feelings of ceramic sound whatsoever. It is another school.
  • Alecy might feel skeptical of the need for a Kyoto power bar after the almighty Tripoint cleans up a whole garbage of ground noises. But the addition of a Kyoto bar simply raises the bar a few notches upward. It is not a marginal improvement but a "transformation". There is a whole lot of mid-range harmonics missing without the Kyoto. The pitch of bass notes are now delivered with more weight.

The Tidal suite allows me to understand the Kyoto much more. It deals with incoming AC noises in a passive way and the effect of it is much lower background noises a the macro level, whereas the Tripoint point cleans up noises surrounding each musical objects at the micro level.
  • Alecy,

I notice that you are still using Level 1 and Level 2 power cords...I recommend you to consider Flow/FMR to replace them as I am sure the bass resolution and coherence would be enhanced no matter which positions they are being used now...

Marvel
  • PT has already pre-ordered a FMR cord with IEC ending for the Impact amp when he was in Munich.

Heard you have finally joined the FMR speaker cable camp. Please share more on the comparison with the EE.

• Alecy, i m not sure how Kureanai doing in your system, but i highly hightly recommend try mate Kureanai with kyoto. There is a spare one at my office.
  • Alecy, yes indeed, I cannot resist the temptation on FMR speaker cable and requested some reshuffling on the delivery schedule for my other items in order to let this cable jumping queue.

This move is not small...if I say SMR EE speaker cable can differentiate a chain of musical notes on bass by 256 grades, FMR can do it 1024 steps....It reveals the 3-dimensionality and air surrounding the musical objects much more vividly....Energy dispersion is different from SMR EE, depending on which one you take it as the reference point...I am a genuine fans of SMREE and still I am. In a small listening room like mine, I do agree with PT that I don't need too much of the bass energy flooding my place. After the upgrade of the Cessaro speaker and with more burning in of the bass drivers, any excess of the bass energy will translate into clouding out of the bass details. As a result, FMR is a better choice for me, save the EE for a bigger room in the future...wah...day dreaming.

Marvel
  • (This piece was written by Alecy last year. It was lost in the forum. I only knew when one of a potential customer called me and enquire where is this article; here it is.)

In quantum physics, it is an accepted principle that certain pairs of physical properties, like position and momentum, cannot both be known to arbitrary precision. The more precisely one property is known, the less precisely the other can be known.

As a somewhat twisted analogy, I have always approached the quest for audio reproduction as an equation of trade-offs and compromise. This mentality has been severely challenged recently. A renewed focus on pace, coherency and overall balance had not only bring me closer to the frontier of latest technology but also allow to appreciate music in a way I had never dreamt of before. To boldly goes where no man had gone before, the decision to order the Troy requires no Captain Scott, all I need is to take the plunge knowing that this is a product that is revolutionary and is designed to plug a hole that has plagued modern day technology. Rewinding the clock a full 12 months, I told PT my interest is only on products that are a quantum leap over competition – not so much an insatiable ego but more a result of resources restraint. The Tidal, the FMR and the Troy meet precisely this simple criterion and they had shocked me beyond my wildest imagination.

An alien with 4 tentacles with a look that is mean and waiting to grab the host with all its might! I just let them grab the host all at once to save the pain and trouble. After about 30 minutes of charged up / run-in, all perceivable EMI (electromagnetic interference) is declared clinically dead. Totally helpless and overwhelmed, I collapsed in my chair, hoping to grasp the sensation of a new found dimension - Life.

Life is about presence and certainty. Learned comrades like Mr. DV and DSo had already shared their valuable insights earlier and I totally agreed with them on the remarkable improvement on speed, liveliness and background silent. But to me, there is something more and beyond the well beaten path. If the improvements are only in terms of iota difference along these attributes, then this revolutionary gadget is a failure given its objective. Here I found it interesting to borrow the concept of Heisenberg’s Uncertanity Principle as a comparison. For all those quantum physicists out there, please pardon my sacrilege. In quantum mechanics, energy is expressed as a wave function with the center of gravity defining its position and the wavelength being its momentum. The deployment of Troy enables both the wave function of each instrument to transmit naturally with pinpoint accuracy. They all have their individual identity and their presence is clear and undeniable. With EMI removed, every passage of music are now singing with certainty and conviction. I can feel all members of the orchestra firmly sitting down and working coherently to support the symphonic structure while the soloist is occupying the musical gravity rather than sailing on top of it. When the orchestra attentively awaits for the conductor to signal the crescendos, the momentary static creates immense tension as if ejaculations are in the wings (this, specifically for VoyR as he is presumably still waiting for his). For the first time and unmatched by any system I heard of, including that of PT’s latest Da Vinci, they all have feet and each one has their own emotions. It is this immensity that take over me. When the drum rolls, I feel as if I am passing through time and history. When the second violins are plucking their strings, they are wholesome and the resonance reaches the farthest end of the concert hall and bounces back in unison.

In a week that is arguably the toughest and most brutal in my career, the Troy is my life line and every night as I retired from work, music plays like a miracle. I am so filled with emotion.

Helen of Troy, yes, your face does launch a thousand ships.

Alecy
  • The magic of Troy has contiuned to spread. During the course of the past 24 months, people who had experienced the Troy fully understand the importance of draining ground noises away by proper and scientific solution. The success speaks for itself.

What we could not comprehend is the shocking improvement by the Thais master reference (stuff) ground wire connected to the Troy. Ever since the presence of it two weeks ago, I felt uncomfortable whenever it is not connected to the Vekian transport. As usual, Marvel bro took it home first. This one which arrived yesterday will go to Mr.DV today.
  • Even Ralph of Cessaro has to get one Troy becasue high sensivity horn speakers will benefit tremendously from the dramatic lowering of ground noises.