Skip to content
Options

Audio Exotics presents The Delta Series

I’m excited to announce the Delta Series, a series of exclusive and intimate evenings you won’t want to miss. To kick it off, we are bringing you a gathering where you can enjoy some of the finest LMDW whiskies, expertly paired with a carefully curated selection of music by Parched and Audio Exotics. All this will harmonise on Singapore’s most exceptional sound system. Your presence is cordially requested for an evening of unparalleled sophistication and merriment!

Mohan
Audio Exotics Group

Parched
LMDW
Soundzipper

Comments

• Options
    What kind of music to match with the whisky?
  • Options
    I will share the whiskeys and playlist after the session this weekend. 

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I conceived The Delta Series as a platform to showcase the very best in music, sound and all things lifestyle. The first event AE Singapore was a music pairing. Almost everyone has experienced wine and food pairings, so why not pair something with music?  So I ended up deciding on pairing two things I enjoy - whiskey and music! I also wanted AESG customers to bring their spouses or partners and make it an inclusive event. 
    The whiskey I chose with the tasing notes are below. The tracks we played that accompanied each whiskey are also listed. I had to consider a few things when choosing the tracks

1) I wanted to demonstrate the versatility of the AESG house sound system in handling all musical genres.
    2) Not everyone attending were 'audiophiles' so I had to choose music that was easily digestible and popular
    3) All the whiskeys were cask strength and as we drank each one in turn, everyone would be progressively getting drunker. This means the music has to match their state of drunkeness.

I co-hosted the event with the Editor of Parched.Asia - David Fuhrmann Lim who was graced the event with his excellent knowledge of whiskey!

BENRINNES 2011 OVER 10 - 660 Bottles

Equipped with two wash stills and four spirits stills since 1966, Benrinnes practised partial triple distillation up until 2009. Having since returned to the more classic practice of double  distillation, it now produces a heavier, more ‘animal’ single malt than many of its Speyside peers. Although heavily influenced by its first-fill sherry cask maturation, this especially loquacious and extroverted version nonetheless remains deeply rooted in its region. This is reflected in the many divinely malty sequences found in its palette of flavours and aromas.

TASTING NOTES
    Colour: orangey copper with glints of mahogany.

Nose: rich, deep. The deeply complex first nose reveals endless notes of apricot rancio, beeswax, lime blossom honey, heady florals (hyacinth, pansy), toffee, Turkish delight, milk chocolate, sweet spices (cumin, ginger), fresh coriander, candied orange, melon, camphor, verbena, grilled walnut, carnation and malted barley.

Palate: full-bodied and creamy. With a wonderfully delicate texture, the attack is apricot, chocolatey, tertiary (mushroom, moss) and balsamic (cough sweets, pine). The rich mid-palate wavers between flavours of mocha coffee, spice bread, salted butter caramel and melon ice cream. Nuts (chestnut, sweet chestnut, walnut) then gradually appear alongside notes of fermentation (grist) and exotic fruits (mango, banana, pineapple).

Finish: long, very energetic. At the start of the finish, notes of cough sweet and pine resin return in force and bring a very pleasant freshness to the flavour palette. Next, flavours of candied apricot, geranium flower and ginger bring both energy and smoothness to the end of the finish. On the retro-nasal olfaction, still-warm brioche and Paris-Brest cake highlight the finish’s sweetness. The empty glass is liquorice, oily (sesame, sunflower) and cocoa.

MUSIC PAIRING
    This whiskey was matched with the following tracks which were played on the WADAX Reference Server / DAC

1) Take Five - Dave Brubeck Quartet 
    2) Moon River - Jacintha
    3) You Look Good to Me - The Oscar Peterson Trio
    4) Ooo Baby Baby - Aretha Franklin & Smokey Robinson

BOWMORE 2001 OVER 20 665 Bottles

Absolutely magnificent, this version, from the first seconds of tasting, inevitably echoes the no less remarkable Bowmore 2001 from the Artist #7 and #8 ranges of La Maison du Whisky. Its additional years spent in barrels have in no way diminished the freshness, smoothness and firmness of expression that characterized its predecessors, quite the contrary. Evoking a peat that is oily, herbaceous or even medicinal, its aromatic palette is also resplendent with exoticism. As if driven by a sea wind, it docks at the end of the mouth on the eastern shore of Loch Indaal, on the island of Islay.

TASTING NOTES
    Colour: Deep golden yellow.

Nose: Rich, heady. On the first nose, scents of rooty and empyreumatic peat (sleet, soot) rub shoulders with vanilla, lemony and medicinal notes (Velpeau band, poultice) of very pure expression. Allowed to breathe, the aromatic palette becomes increasingly mineral (schist, charcoal, basalt), saline and at the same time creamy (barley porridge, rice cake). Then, essential oils (savory, rosemary, sage) and spices (star anise, clove, nutmeg) intermingle with fresh fruit (Williams pear, Golden apple).

Palate: Clean, full of vitality. Finely liquoricey (stick) and oily (green olive), the attack on the palate develops into candied (lemon, pineapple, pear) and herbaceous (green barley, cut hay, alfalfa) flavors. On the mid-palate, notes of barley sugar and anise deeply permeate the taste buds. The finish is minty, very slightly earthy and rooty (gentian, genepi).

Finish: Long, dense. Anchored in a soil full of mineral salts, the start of the finish is supported by a remarkable chocolate and malty bitterness. In the aftertaste, the pungent flavors of a burning cigar float in an atmosphere increasingly saturated with intense smoke and eucalyptus notes. The retro-nasal olfaction is malty, peaty (dry peat), medicinal (balm), vanilla and lemony. The empty glass leads us right into the middle of a spray-swept peat field.

MUSIC PAIRING
    This whiskey was matched with the following tracks 
    1) Le Nozze di Figaro - Frederica Von Stade > Davinci Gabriel / Miyabi Fuuga / Zanden 1200 Signature
    2) Cello Suite in G Major - Yo-Yo Ma > Davinci Gabriel / Miyabi Fuuga / Zanden 1200 Signature
    3) Vivaldi Recomposed (Spring) - Max Richter > Wadax Reference Server and DAC

• Options

CLYNELISH 1990 OVER 30 165 Bottles
    If the 25-year-old Clynelish aged in sherry casks from the 2022 creation catalog made many round trips between Brora and Andalusia, this version distilled in 1990 dazzlingly reflects the “coastal” style typical of single malts from North of Scotland. Both rural and maritime, she tells the story of a region she knows by heart. The only aged – lees version in bourbon barrels of this sherry-oriented Artist #12 range, it imposes itself with remarkable naturalness. Defying the onslaught of time, it restores with even more force the herbaceous, waxy, saline and medicinal character that has made the reputation of this mythical single malt.

TASTING NOTES 
    Colour: Deep gold.

Nose: Rich, heady. On the first nose, scents of rooty and empyreumatic peat (sleet, soot) rub shoulders with vanilla, lemony and medicinal notes (Velpeau band, poultice) of very pure expression. Allowed to breathe, the aromatic palette becomes increasingly mineral (schist, charcoal, basalt), saline and at the same time creamy (barley porridge, rice cake). Then, essential oils (savory, rosemary, sage) and spices (star anise, clove, nutmeg) intermingle with fresh fruit (Williams pear, Golden apple).

Palate: Clean, full of vitality. Finely liquoricey (stick) and oily (green olive), the attack on the palate develops into candied (lemon, pineapple, pear) and herbaceous (green barley, cut hay, alfalfa) flavors. On the mid-palate, notes of barley sugar and anise deeply permeate the taste buds. The finish is minty, very slightly earthy and rooty (gentian, genepi).

Finish: Long, dense. Anchored in a soil full of mineral salts, the start of the finish is supported by a remarkable chocolate and malty bitterness. In the aftertaste, the pungent flavors of a burning cigar float in an atmosphere increasingly saturated with intense smoke and eucalyptus notes. The retro-nasal olfaction is malty, peaty (dry peat), medicinal (balm), vanilla and lemony. The empty glass leads us right into the middle of a spray-swept peat field.

MUSIC PAIRING
    This whiskey was matched with the following tracks 

1) Good Morning School Girl - Muddy Waters > Davinci Gabriel / Miyabi Fuuga / Zanden 1200 Signature
    2) Trouble's what you are (Live) - Fink > Wadax Reference Server and DAC
    3) Keith Don't Go - Nils Lofgren > Vertere SG1 / Thales Voro / Engstrom Mphono

LEDAIG 2005 OVER 15 - 665 Bottles

The history of the Tobermory distillery, which was renamed Ledaig between 1972 and 1975, is interspersed with periods of closure and reopenings. Since 1993, it has produced two single malts, one unpeated, named Tobermory, and the other peated and named Ledaig (30-40 ppm). Alternately very peaty, heady, rancio, exotic, chocolatey, saline, empyreumatic and spicy, this

version brilliantly summarises the unique and enchanting style that is the trademark of the finest Ledaigs.

TASTING NOTES
    Colour: orangey copper.

Nose: rich, concentrated. The particularly intense and expressive first nose reveals a fairly dry, rooty and yet very elegant and compact peat. Next, notes of brandied cherries and apricot highlight the quality of the very well-integrated sherry cask maturation. Allowed to breathe, the aroma palette becomes increasingly heady (lily, freesia), exotic (mango, persimmon) and superbly chocolatey. The overall effect is one of radiant harmony.

Palate: lively, tempestuous. The striking attack is an accurate summary of the nose. Very quickly, however, an even more chocolatey and above all more saline peat takes over. On the mid-palate, it is dressed in medicinal (arnica), camphoric, animal (bacon) and empyreumatic (sandalwood, chimney fire) tones. The end of the palate allows a glimpse of a fruity (raspberry) and lemony spirit.

Finish: long, deep. Characterized by notes of slightly damp earth, the start of the finish is subtly floral (poppy, cornflower, violet). The peat has quietened down, becoming more liquorice and delicately peppery. With its flavours of curry and ylang ylang, the end of the finish is undeniably oriental. On the retro-nasal olfaction, once again very present peat takes over the centre of the palate, allowing the deliciously sweet juice of a ripe apricot to flow through. The empty glass is nobly spicy (cardamom, saffron, ginger)MUSIC 

MUSIC PAIRING
    This whiskey was matched with the following tracks which were played on the WADAX Reference Server / DAC 

1) The Man Machine (live) - Kraftwerk
    2) Something About Us - Daft Punk
    3) Seven Days in Sunny June - Jamiroquai

• Options
    Mohan 

This is very classy and very impressive work you had done!
    Whisky taste to match with the music is a new idea!
  • Options
    It would be great if you can post some video so that we know the excellent quality of your system
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Jeff,
    Thanks for the comments! I will post a video shortly!
  • Options
    I agree with Jeff that it is executed in a very classy way.  The music indeed corresponds well with the choice of whisky. I wonder will there be a red wine, tequila, and cognac series following up.
  • Options
    Thanks Vramos. Yes, we plan on an event with Tequila and Mezcal next, as I'm a big tequila fan! ;) Stay tuned!