Skip to content
Options

SRA worths every penny

I have spent 3 hours to reconfigurate my gears. The custom made VR amp stand is now under the Boulder. I was listening Diana Krall CD. It is magical. It is more "tail", higher density, more airy, more BASS ........ more musical. It worths every penny of it.

Comments

• Options
    The front view
  • Options
    The whole setup with Raven One tt.
  • Options
    Sammy,

Nice setup...

I had another interesting experience in using SRA. I am putting my Zanden 2000P transport on a SRA platform and recently I tried using some tweaking wooden feet in-between the transport and SRA. Those wooden feet have been used for quite a while as isolation device between the transport and the rack.

The initial result of using those feet in-between the transport and SRA was quite promising because I can hear more ambience and the treble turns to be softener. Background is quieter as well. So those feet stayed in the position until 2 days ago when I received a call from PT suggesting me to try taking away those feet and just place the transport on top of the SRA platform.

I tried and immediately the soundstage is heightened and deepened. When I listened to live recording, the difference is even more apparent. Of course the previous harshness in treble was back but I think it is because of my room and attempting to address this by putting a tweaking device between the transport and SRA can solve the problem but may bring forth to another issue of 'twisting' the sound and undermining the design of the SRA platform as the latter is built base upon the weight distribution, original feet locations of the gear that is intended to put on top.

I discussed this at length afterwards with PT and both of us conclude that the tweaking feet are very effective in producing the intended result if applied correctly but at the same time, SRA is not expecting anything un-original on top because the mathematics has not taken into account of upfront such add-on.

Would you consider another SRA on your 1012?

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel,

Just placed order for a SRA for 1012.

Sammy
  • Options
    Although this thread has not been opened for a few months, I still made the effort of retrieving it out as I find the topic is most relevant to my feeling last night after putting the SRA underneath my 3-motor Raven. Does it make day and night difference on all music? Not really for a Craze rack user like me. Still, it is quite noticeable on a darker background and more spatial cue on larger scale of music at a higher volume level. If I am not using the Craze rack, I would believe the difference could really be day and night as I was still shocked by the more details that I can hear last night after putting in the SRA platform. My experience with this platform is that its sound would even be better after a few more days after settling in with the gear on top of it.

Marvel
  • Options
    Another photo.
  • Options
    Marvel bro, this board is huge! It looks cool too with the Raven on top. What does it do to the sound?
  • Options
    By virtue of these photos, though not shot professionally, I personally can feel the harmony and serenity of putting Raven on the SRA.
  • Options
    some more.
  • Options
    I was listening to Rostroprovich Dvorak Cello concerto and can't help to take out my camera trying to record this magic moment that SRA has brought forth. I just felt the entire musical picture is much more transparent and stable removing the final 10% of the vibration isolation!! Craze rack+SRA, another marvelous combo for Marvel!!

• Options
    Marvel大大, 呢塊野唔野少, 為何用了瘋狂架還要加料?
  • Options
    Fat bro,

2 reasons:

1. Craze rack is generic while SRA is gear specific.
    2. One of turntable the designer of SRA is Raven 3-motor and it can't be wrong to ask the designer to repeat what he has made for his musical enjoyment.

Marvel
  • Options
    Marvel bro,where to put the SRA Ohio platform is actually an issue. The day you and PT came, the Ohio for my Petrus was sitting on a thick acrylic, it sounds flimsy, lack of flesh. Then I tried rosewood, its better, latter I tried Franck's thick wood, it has tracies of Franck's voicing character. I have no doubt putting Ohio platforms on SRA's Craz rack is the best, but without the rack, what's the second best. There are many Ohio lovers, please share your experience because the difference is really dramatic.
  • Options
    Peter, my experience in using SRA platform is either put them on the Craz rack or on my tile floor. I have never tried putting anything in-betwen. Have you used the spike plates provided by SRA ? I find them quite useful on my tile floor as they tilt back the balance to the central point whereas without the plates, the platform sounds a bit harsh on the treble.in an extreme critical sense.

• Options
    Marvel, yes the supplied tip holders are a must for best performance. I can't put the Ohio on the floor cos it has carpet. Do you know why earlier Ohio models have long feet , recent ones are short.