Skip to content

Engstrom Sound from Sweden - the Pinnacle of Scandinavian School

Comments

• Jonyung,

What a good writeup of yours!  The writings demonstrate your knowledge and maturity of listening. What touched me the most is the replay of the mezzo soprano - Frederick Von Stade, the tone is so religiously pure.  And you are right to spot on the replay of church music by the Engström is unique bar none. 

But the biggest sueprise is how this pair of speaker cable called Jundo by Dalby game change the whole Engström system to another dimension. It is spiritually much more sophiscated than before. 

• Master Chik connected them immediately. 

• Because we know religiously is the tone portraited by the Engström. Any slight coloration will immediately be revealed. But coincidentally the new Dalby flagship series is called Jundo - which also means "purity" according to PT. The connection of this speaker cable to the Lars type 2 not only preserve the pure tone; quite the opposite was happening to my ear - enrichment of purity chilled my spine.  Fredrick Von Stade is now singing to God. 

That is very personal feelings of mine.  I guess very few understand what are we talking about here. Keep it going, jonyung!
  • VoyR Big Bro

Thank you for your kind words. I am still learning..

Lucky you, with the new cables, Its kinda confident to call one's cable "Purity"! Must ask for your help in cable matters when the time is ripe.

Jonyung

• Dear Jonyung, 

I´m humble to your comments on my designs. Although they look understated and easy to make they are more difficult to manufacture than most products on the market.

Regarding the sound of our products it´s much the same thing. It may look like it wouldn’t be much different from other products but it just as different as comparing wine.

The MONICA use the E182CC tube. The volume control is based on relays and resistors. 

ERIC takes everything further. I would say that ERIC is even more aplomb than LARS.

One special goal was to create a more powerful amplifier to drive even the toughest loads.

It´s a fully balanced and transformer coupled power amp, all the way from input to output. ERIC use separate power supplies for input and output stages and DC filaments.

It´s super quiet, deep dynamic, wide open, transparent with dancing details while still being sweet and playful.

ERIC use the KR T-100 output tube. It´s similar to 845, but a modern direct heated triode tube designed for audio.

Eric has the significant Engström signature just as LARS and MONICA. 

// Timo

• Dear VoyR,
    It´s great to read how you are able to refine the experience by the change in setup. 

I feel you really understand LARS.

// Timo
  • Dear Timo

Thank you for your response.
    The use of KR T-100 is indeed interesting!

I am excited to hear that ERIC was created to drive "even the toughest loads"

If it could drive low efficiency speakers with dips in the impedence curve in the Bass regions (2Ohms) with a sense of "Ease", while keeping its tonal accuracy as in the Lars, then it would be pretty amazing.
    Hopefully, I will be able to audition it sometime this year.

jonyung
  • Dear Jonyung.

In NYC our dealer is using LARS to drive the Wilson Alexandria XLF and it´s a great combination.

I´m looking forward to post my impressions when we get ERIC hooked up with different speakers.

And as soon as the new ERICs are delivered to AE, I´m sure PT will let you challenge ERIC with any speaker you´ve got. Sounds like you have a pair of Focal, Magico or something else.

// Timo
  • Dear Timo

I am also looking forward to your impressions of ERIC and what diff speakers you use !

Yes, the Focals/Magicos do have a pretty wicked dip in the impedance curve, and these "conventional" speakers are often mated with solid state or mega valve amps with a few hundreds of Watts and at least a dozen KT88...

jonyung
  • All agree the Engström room is one of the top three in Munich this year. I didn't go but all my trusted ears say so. 
  • The Engstrom Monica/Eric really drives the Cessaro Qian Long speakers well.  The purity of tone from Ensgrom is unique. In the world of tube electronics dominated by the Japanese, the Engstrom provides an alternative ( a better alternative to me).  There is no coloration.  I understand Chinese like warmer tone in general.  Chris explained clearly to me about the reproduction of "sonority" by Engstrom is precise and unique, whereas the Japanese tube electronics usually produces longer harmonic decaying tails (that is pleasing to the ears and easier to be mingled with in room acoustics).  Local magazine always talk about harmonic decays but rarely describes "sonority".  The spatial resolution of the Engstrom is also excellent.  

I think Ralph of Cessaro should consider partnering with Engstrom in Munich show 2018.  The understated European aesthetic is very cool.  Good job!