Skip to content
Options

The newly Upgraded Vekian

I am not sure if anyone here has already received the upgraded Vekian. I received mine yesterday. The upgrade is substantial. Compared to the original Vekian which has a very weighty bass and a warmer top end like (like the Wavac 833 sonic trait), the new version has changed 180 degree. Lower mid bass has less weight in exchange for more speed and yet bass energy propogation remains forward from the back row to the front row. Bass structure is cleaner and easier to follow. Don't worry bass energy will drop on the floor. Real bass energy only travels forward, not just stay there. Any live jazz show in a small pub or bar can verify this point.

The top end is much more extended with body. The mid range is more tranparent and the ultra density in this region has remained unchanged. At explosive passages, all sub sessions of the orchestra are very stable in place. Piano is simply polychromatic in tone.

Am I the only one here?

Comments

• Options
    I have hooked up mine last night on the suite of Tidal amplification. Agree with your comments but would like to supplement a bit...I personally do not believe the speed and transient have been improved, as a matter of fact, they are maintained at a very very high level of performance before and after the upgrade. The difference is before the upgrade, it always appears to me that the speed and transient were delivered forcefully and I can feel the 'muscle' of the Vekian is strong and strong enough to push for any speed and transient that the music demands. What the upgrade now delivers is the naturalness and calmness that comes hand in hand with the speed and transient...the upgrade really move the DAC to another level of maturity and completness...not to mention the 'empty' new HDMI slot for clocking linking with their upcoming transport...I know it may not be easy to find an escape...it is only a matter of time...Jeff, you will be an early bird without any doubt....

marvel
  • Options
    How long did it take for the upgrade? I want to send mine, but it would mean I'll be w/o any music for the duration of the upgrade
  • Options
    Katongkid, it took 3 weeks end to end, I think it is worth the wait time....I am a bit luckier as I can still play with my beloved vinyl while waiting for the Vekian to come back...I am listening to a DG CD which in the past I always feel there is a slight scent of treble harshness, now with the upgraded Vekian, it seems the string music is more coherent and smooth but full of microdynamics...

Marvel

Marvel
  • Options
    我的朋友們話呢部機揪抵佢地套黑膠. 其實, 無須太在意CD對LP, 因為兩個媒體滿足不同需要. 有時候聽ipod也可好投入.

記得用Orpheus解瑪時, 最喜歡就是小提琴的演繹, 後來換了Vekian, 寧願取較大的三角型能量分佈, 以及低音能量從後方一直走到前方的現場特性, 而放棄了小提琴的秀麗.

Upgraded了的Vekian最令我驚喜不只是小提琴的細緻, 而且還有好微細的柔勅度和彈力, 中低比從前更鬆容, 有線條有能量, 整個音場極為穩定, 每一組樂器的音色都能表現得佮到好處, 光暗分明, 我十分讚嘆整部機的完成度. 從前聽鋼琴偏暖, 但現在是感受到木hammer的震頻, 好微細的也能感受到. 想不到美國也能出到這一個層次的聲音. 我對Vekian clock link的transport充滿期望.

我其中一位朋友用一套dCS三件頭解瑪也好surprise呢部一件頭的美製解瑪有如此成熟的聲音, 春節假期可能會有一場友誼賽.

預祝大家虎年 身體健康 如意吉祥

發哥
  • Options
    Marvel bro, Jeff, and Fat...

This is a great upgrade. I am pleasantly surprised by the polychromatic (borrowing words from Jeff) resolution power of the latest Vekian. The top end is analog like, tremendous amount of details delivered coherently. The "fat" in the lower mid bass has reduced while retaining the impactfulness of bass energy. Vocal sounds like human fresh. The vekian before the upgrade was already excellent in the area of vocal. There is a new sense of refreshment now. Maybe less warmer than before but I don't feel a slightest hint of chill.

A great dac in every sense.