Skip to content

Project Beethoven by Cessaro

Comments

• It would be my great honor to welcome big bros like you to visit my place. But I can actually move in in jun due to remaining decoration works like the curtains. 
    then I can gradually understand this beast and how to tame him. 
    Man
  • Roman,

You have a lot to work! Can you fix the ceilings first?
  • It is the last thing I would touch. I can only evaluate its impact with all other acoustic elements are considered and tested. There are a lot of different opinions about it. Once I know how it influences the sound, we should be able to find the right solutions.
    Man
  • Roman,

How does your mega system sound?  What is your experience so far?  Your home is beautiful.  

Why dont you move the air 2 amp in front? Use a bigger rack at the back.  

This mega horn sensitivity is it more than 110db? Where are your Troy signature and empress?  I believe they made dramatic improvement because of such extreme sensitivity. 
  • Still unpacking a lot of things, so just open sound with CD and minimal setup. The cables are not long enough for air 2 in front. I will consider a new rack after settling down.
    As to the sound, I think in terms of details, speed, tonal colors, harmonics, depth and width, bass energy and bass resolution are already unheard of without fine-tunings of positioning and other room acoustic treatment. The major issues I need to deal with is the clarity of instrument positions and separation, vocal focus, purity and micro details, etc.
    Man
  • This is a much neater layout compared to day 1.  Give Man more time, he works relentlessly on both system setup and moving home.

The plan is to consider a bigger rack to put in the middle of the speakers and move the power amp in front.  The subbase Shambala amp stand tailor made for air 2 has a gorgeous look that would otherwise be a waste if sitting behind the rack.

• Roman,
    The aesthetic of the Bee horn is imposing and yet sculpturally elegant. Everything seems small standing next to them. 

I am curious about the sub setting. What is the cross over frequency?  What is the slope?  What is the degree of phasing?  

The last parameter needs a long time to get it right. 

• The crossover is now set at 90Hz, 0 degree. I am not sure about the slope. 
    I can foresee an exhausting fine tuning once the basic acoustic is done
    Man
  • Day-14

Last Sat, PT, Eddie and myself went to visit the Beethoven system after 2 weeks since the system has landed in Roman's new home.  Cotton curtain and wood curtain have been added blocking the glass reflection on the left hand side.  Roman has re-connected back the Tripoint, Extreme Line backer, Ode filter to the system in order to further reduce the noise platform for the 110db sensitive beast.  I can honestly share how unforgiving the speaker is to tell the difference even for a slight shift of the JmF3.7 transport from the edge of the Shambala rack towards the middle!

The speaker totally disappeared from the space with a piece of contiguous and scenic musical landscape.  It is an amazing step that Roman has achieved in terms of speaker positioning and matching (obviously) with the amplifications.  More work would be required to address the ceiling which may cause trapping of the mid to high energy.  We discussed extensively how this can be properly dealt with some experiments to try out. 

More visits and reports will be made for those who are interested to follow the story on The Birth of Beethoven System.

Marvel

• edited May 2017
    Roman, Marvel,

This big Bee is such an elegant beast! I am sure there are tremendous amount of works ahead on top of acoustics. By the way, did PT test the system with Birdy's Skinny Love?

The big bee should have no problem to WOW the audiences with big band jazz/symphonic scores. Getting birdy right is damn difficult. Because the whole world knows how she sings. There are millions viewers on YouTube.  I didn't know it is such a damn challenge!  Big brothers, can you get Birdy 'sits down" and play the piano?
  • I actually feel her vocal at standing position. This means there are a lot to fix. We identified the ceiling should trap some mid and high frequencies and redflect back with delays, causing less integration and purity of sound. I have some ideas on how to treat these holes in the ceiling, especially at the first reflection points right above the mid drivers.  
    The speakers are fucking sensitive that I can hear difference with 5 mm move. Even moving the positions of black bodies can be felt. I now remove all black bodies to release more natural tones and harmonics as Trinity filter seems to have done the great job already.
    Man
  • Roman,

After the ceilings are treated, Birdy will sit down and play the piano. You also need bass traps at the corner. Please also treat the first reflection point using Yamada's panel which is very useful.  

There is still a long way to reach the utopia because your speakers sensitivity is simply too high.  Remember to connect ground wire to the amp driving the sub, they are VERY noisy without ground and AC filtering. 
  • Your AC infrastructure is state of the art with Jarvis and Trinity AC. Have you connected Empress?
  • Empress will be my next next step after basic treating of room acoustic. 
    Man