Skip to content
Options

Cessaro Air two Power Amplifier ultimate NEW. Official release plus info:

Comments

• Options
    Longinus,
    The K15Ex that you listened in the showroom is actually mine, because PT has sent his own K15 to queue up for the upgrade. I had listened to Cessaro Air1 in 2 occasions, one in Ralph place in Germany together with Air2 power amp driving the Beethoven 5-way mega horn system. The 2nd occasion is at home before the Air1 was delivered to Romanovym.

I can't make any conclusive assessment at this stage....when I connected back the K15Ex on that night after Air 1 was packed up for delivery, I felt the breadth of the soundstage was slightly swollen. On Air 1, the soundstage was wide open. This certainly is not your audition experience in AE showroom on K15Ex, I believe I need to adjust the setting in the subwoofer again because on that day I did make some minor changes on the subwoofer to suit the Air 1.

At this level and together with the subwoofer settings, this is not plug and play, my previous AB comparison by simply connect and disconnect will not work....

Marvel

• Options
    During this Chinese New Year holiday, I had a chance to listen to Cessaro Air 1 preamp in my system before it is delivered to its new owner. PT and Kahw also visited my place 2 days ago to listen to the Air1, I will leave them to reflect on how they feel.

Air1 obviously does not receive as much publicity as Zanden Chukoh in the recent months because the latter has lot of opportunities to gain the various spotlights in the AE showroom as well as in Mr. Wong’s place. That said, this does not mean it is in PT and my mind that Air 1 is, to any extent, inferior to the Zanden celebrity. Like Chukoh, all Air 1 produced have been delivered to the customers without a proper stay in the showroom for others to have an audition.

Air 1 is a passive preamp made up of a huge Finemet core transformer with silver wiring. I was told there is only 1 company globally which has the technology to make this since the finemet core is very hot and will melt the silver wiring if not made with the right techniques. However, it does also require a power cable to power up the display and the volume control. Intuitively a passive preamp should not be sensitive to the power cable, however, when I tried using different power cables, it actually behaves like an active device. I believe the noise transmitted into the preamp via the power cable should not be undermined under the extreme scrutiny of the high efficiency horn speaker system. Likewise, the preamp would give an even darker background when connected to a ground wire.

To describe in a few words about Air1, it is open, uncompressed, real and fast.

Open – When listening to the live recording of my favorite Joan Baez Diamond and Rusts in the Bullring, not only can I feel the vast open space of the Bullring but also surrounded by the audience clapping their hands rhythmically with Joan or singing together with her. Air1 spreads out wide open the soundstage especially extending deep into the endless depth of the space.

Uncompressed – At high volume when I was playing a local Chinese recording by Hugo on drums and various instruments, the dynamic swing has no constraints and boundaries only limited by the original recording and skills of the performers. I had a very strong sense of ‘sweating at my back’ by the dynamite explosion one after the other fearing that the neighbors would think I am playing drums or practicing with a Chinese musical band!!

Real – Again, I have listened to my all-time testing CD, Sissel in Symphony. Sissel’s voice is as real as standing and singing in front of me. With all the preamps used in my system so far, Air 1 delivers an unprecedented experience in the realism of the presence of the performer in a superbly portraited 3-d image. The presentation is absolutely colorless and un-sweetened. Sissel’s voice is moisted with passion and full of touching which was unheard of in the past, including K15Ex.

Fast – Transients and attack are controlled and managed extremely well without being over tight or loosening. Mozart piano sonata by Maria Joao Pires has been played in my system for hundred times. Air1 leaves no trace of sluggishness in interpreting each keynote from the leading percussion till the trailing harmonics. Air1 matches extremely well with the Trinity power amp delivering lightning speed and in my humble view, doesn’t shy out at all in front of all the top notch active powered preamp that I have used or listened. People who have a prejudice or skepticism on the control of the passive preamp vs active powered preamp should really keep their minds open when listening to Air1. It really does not exhibit any deficiency or lack of control and quite the contrary, one won’t be able to tell it is a passive preamp without being told!

I am particularly interested at preamps as I believe it is the conductor of an orchestra representing the soul of the performance. Air1 in my view could stand all challenge of any preamps when one is using a high efficiency horn speaker system. Would Chukoh outperform Air1, I have no clue at this juncture, however, one thing I am pretty sure is that the noise level of Air1 should be lower than any active preamp.

Marvel
  • Options
    Roman,

Are you using Air One? Who else in the community is using? Does your experience echo Marvel's?
  • Options
    2 個月前到marvel 家小試cessaro air 1 pre, 短短2小時已印象深刻,念念不忘! 由於之前以數次到訪marvel 兄,所以深知air 1 為他的系統所帶來的進步及增值。
    3天前air 1 終於到我手上,改進同樣巨大,超級透明度,巨大而密不透風的音埸,毫不妥協的真實感,原來在air 1 控制之下,chopin sig 可達致前所未有的速度及迅變,一切毫不含糊,軍軍真真。更令我意外是chopin sig 衹1隻8寸低音單元可發出更深,更細緻,更有層次之低音。强烈建議cessaro speaker 之用家1定要親身感受下。
  • Options
    Hi Jeff, I am using Air One, and I think it is the best pre-amp so far. I have got the latest version with ground pole, which improves the grounding and brings it to an even higher level. The computer audio files become much smoother with higher density and dynamics without even burnt-in compared with the previous one temporarily stayed in my home. Now the files are very analogue.
    I have listened to 宙光, which is very very good too, very fast, dynamic, extreme controlling power, very direct sound. I think Air One is on the same level, but personally, I like Air One more, for its extremely wide and deep sound stage, the natural and live feelings, the grandeur in music is still unique which I think different from 宙光. I think both pre-amps are real master pieces but taking different approaches.
    And I like the idea of using Finemet which makes Air One really so unique, and creating the signature grandeur, openness and quietness I never experienced before.
    Man
  • Options
    During this Chinese New Year, one thing that most excited me was visiting the perfect combo, 宙光+長空, and home visit the most respectful member in AE home, Marvel wonderful system.
    PT called me up ask whether I want to come to AE, listen to this world best combo on earth before delivery to the lucky owner. And suggested to visit marvel's system afterward. So this is a big event that it was worth taking a day off for this.
    Let me skip the 宙光長空 part, since we are discussing Air One here.

But what I want to remind that I listened the best combo on earth before went to marvel's home, what this imply? his system were really facing a huge challenge here. I just ate the best meal on earth, anything lesser will be tasteless even it is really good.

Marvel welcomed us with his big smile as usual, and he really got taste, a very stylish interior and layout. Thanks again for hosting me.
    So I sat the "king spot" all the way for a solid two hours. Marvel were playing all sort of musical from CD, CAS, and LP of course, AB with two different LP system, wadax and trinity phono. A very busy afternoon. Thanks again Marvel for all the hard working.
    But I didn't ask much about the Air One at first. Cause all marvel's gear are too good to be true. So Air one to me is just one of them siting there.

First impression, the sound can par with AE sound quality, again please remind that I just listened to 宙光+長空. I don't hear any compression here. Very open and transparent. Detail detail detail and the speed is insane. Can another system can squeeze out more detail than this system I wonder? So my eye started to scan around all the gears and cables. PT just told me casually that this Is the Air One. Then I remember, "Right, the hot topic, passive preamp". Without pay too much attention. So we listened a few more songs. Then I started to realise how transparent is this preamp. It doesn't exist at all. Cause it really gave a feeling like 宙光, yet it seriously more Invisible. Beside the fact that it is really invisible in compare to other marvel's weapon, a black box. Especially Natalie Cole "Route 66", it was the first time I knew about this song even I heard it thousand times already. Her voice is real. Non compressedly real. Instrument are lively and real. I bought the LP right a way after leaving his home. But I knew I cannot never get the "voice" as his system gave me.

After expenriced this two pre amp, My understanding of transparent was brought to very high level now, replaced all the active preamp which I thought they are transparent and colourless before. I mean ALL the preamp.
  • Options
    What a big party here! I always like to read different opinions. Guys, I want to make sure the context is right here. The Air One is a passive preamp made exclusively for Cessaro's high efficiency horn speakers, right? This has to be made clear because Ralph said it won't work in low efficiency speakers.

Also I have hard time understanding why would an addition of an passive preamp would be colorness, as opposed to Wadax's direct preamp out to the power amp?

I have no questions on all of your comments on beautiful sound but I don't buy the logic. The passive preamp must have its very signature from what I gathered from the opinions here. But that is not the issue for as long as the music is beautified, right?
  • Options
    What if the source don't have adequate gain? I am speaking from a flexibility perspective in terms of system matching.
  • Options
    What is the gain level of Air One?
  • Options
    VR,

Passive preamp always has hardcore followers because of low noise and very smooth musical flow rendering natural sound. Vocal is especially enticing. Given the exotic FINEMET core transformer with silver wire is employed, I can speculate the mid range is particularly seducing. Given the large size transformer employed, and with high efficiency speakers, I am sure the magic is special. But whether it is colorness, it is another issue for discussion.
  • Options
    I have listened in Ralph's setup Air1 and Air2 on Beethoven speaker, the resulting sound is much much more than enticing! Is it a colorness or a reflection of the character sounding of the Finemet core transformer, I have no clue. However the vitality and presence of the musical liveliness is solidly established.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Marvel,

The merits of passive preamp is well known and documented. It all boils down to system matching. I am sure the Air One, based on so many users' raving comments, must be something unique and groundbreaking from a passive preamp perspective.

We all have different opinions about neutrality. And for as long as music playing thru your system touches your soul, it doesn't matter whether it is colorated or colorness. I am seduced by colorness sound. My 10 year old Tidal Sunray is considered to be a very neutral and transparent speaker. But at loud volume, I can always detect the "ringing" of ceramic drivers. So is it still colorness? What is colorness? And what is not?
  • Options
    Lincoln/Rebecca visited this system last evening in 深井。The system consists of Wadax DAC/server as source, Cessaro Air One preamp and Takumi K70G2 driving a pair of Cessaro Chopin special edition.
  • Options
    Accessories include Troy signature, Dalby Ode filter. Cables include Gobel statement speaker cable, Vetere HB power cables, HB interconnect, Gobel interconnect etc.

And a Garfield!